onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Gillingham's turn!

Boslem Boy

The thing about tomorrow is the pitch won't be great and they will be up for it because A) were top B) it's on tele.

If we get an early goal if could be a cricket score. If we don't we will be under more pressure and they will grow in confidence.

We should win, but it is never as easy as that!

Advert

IF our game at AFC Wimbledon goes ahead & IF we win, we will open up a 4 point gap over Gillingham, although they will have 2 games in hand over us.

That got me thinking about how Gillingham would react come Saturday? They have led the table for most of the season and at one point had opened up a 7 point gap over us in 2nd place. Over the following weeks instead of taking advantage of their lead and opening up an even bigger gap with a growing confidence, they in fact began to falter.

We slowly pinned back their modest lead, we also signed Lee Hughes, a player that they had failed to get at the 11th hour and a few days later they lost the big match against us, a "6 pointer" and in doing so, they also lost top spot to us as well.

For the first time this season Gillingham could find themselves having to do the chasing instead of being the team that is setting the pace. It's now their turn to actually try and play catch up and it will be interesting to see how they handle the pressure knowing that a defeat on Saturday could prove costly. There is no doubt that in recent weeks we have been a constant thorn in their side and we have come out on top each time. We can be certain that their home defeat against us hurt them and hopefully in doing so, it also affected their confidence.

This next month could make or break their season and we could certainly cement ours!

Thoughts please?

Tempting a lot of fate there! Lets just keep taking each game as it comes and see where we get to.

The thing about tomorrow is the pitch won't be great and they will be up for it because A) were top B) it's on tele.

If we get an early goal if could be a cricket score. If we don't we will be under more pressure and they will grow in confidence.

We should win, but it is never as easy as that!

Don't expect a cricket score. They are second bottom fighting for survival in the FL; its on TV; we're top and not yet proved we can stay there; what more could they want. Going to be a difficult game. :yes:

Tempting a lot of fate there! Lets just keep taking each game as it comes and see where we get to.

Am I "Tempting fate"............ or being positive?

We are where we are for a reason. Therefore on current form, we SHOULD beat Wimbledon. As the top team in our division we have to be confident/positive that we can beat a team who are 2nd bottom having lost 8 games at home. If either the players or the supporters have even the slightest doubt then I'm sorry to say this, but we don't deserve to be top and we certainly don't deserve to get promoted!

Why do we need to take each game as it comes? Yes lets be cautious when we need to be, but if we only look as far as the next game then we could become over cautious which could lead to us becoming too nervous each game that we play.

Do you think Manchester Utd would be positive in thinking that they could beat Reading or would they think that they might be tempting fate and Man City could catch them?

If we're worried by a team facing up to playing next season in non league, then how are we going to have the bottle next season facing the likes of Coventry, Sheffield Utd and (possible) Bristol City, Birmingham City & Sheffiels Wed?

We are where we are for a reason. Therefore on current form, we SHOULD beat Wimbledon. As the top team in our division we have to be confident/positive that we can beat a team who are 2nd bottom having lost 8 games at home. If either the players or the supporters have even the slightest doubt then I'm sorry to say this, but we don't deserve to be top and we certainly don't deserve to get promoted!

Why do we need to take each game as it comes? Yes lets be cautious when we need to be, but if we only look as far as the next game then we could become over cautious which could lead to us becoming too nervous each game that we play.

Do you think Manchester Utd would be positive in thinking that they could beat Reading or would they think that they might be tempting fate and Man City could catch them?

If we're worried by a team facing up to playing next season in non league, then how are we going to have the bottle next season facing the likes of Coventry, Sheffield Utd and (possible) Bristol City, Birmingham City & Sheffiels Wed?

Some fair points there. I suppose I will feel a lot more confident when we win tonight. It'll will show we have the mettle to stay up there. I hope we do, and will be bitterly disappointed if we don't.

After the Wimledon game we would of played 15 away games too.

Gills - 13

Northampton -13

Exeter -14

Cheltenham -14

Rotherham -12

Burton -14

There's only two away games left which would worry me slightly (dropping points), Chesterfield & Oxford, the rest we should be looking at a maximum tally.

Then the home games, potential banana skins are, Bradford, Exeter, Southend, Cheltenham & Northampton. The rest don't worry me at all.

So even if we lose all those 7 games (which we won't) & won the other 12, that would take us to 88 points. Automatic promotion.

The 3rd & last automatic spot points total from the last 10 years.

2012 -84 pts

2011 -80

2010 -82

2009 -78

2008 -88

2007 -85

2006 -81

2005 -80

2004 -81

203 -84

Bring it on. ;)

Vale, Gills,Exeter and Southends form away from home is better than their home form.

Some fair points there. I suppose I will feel a lot more confident when we win tonight. It'll will show we have the mettle to stay up there. I hope we do, and will be bitterly disappointed if we don't.

It's being a Vale fan. We've been let down so many times we don't take anything for granted; but neither should we in this case as it's 11 players v. 11 on the night.

The fact that our 11 are better than theirs doesn't always matter. I bet Villa took Bradford for granted and look what happened to them.

think we got ateam to go up in the top 3 this season with room 2 spare. we lost 5 games so far this season and think we could afford to lose 5 more and go up 80 odd points should do the trick. am looking forward to the rest of the season and not worrying about individual games at the moment. (makes a change !)

Hughes said on sky he expects to win the league and that attracted him to us, with that sort of confidence floating round the dressing room feel good times are coming back.

On a cautionary note dont we always find it harder to beat teams near the bottom when thier motivation is to stay in the league

Those are the exciting teams that will fill the hamil right up. We could have 7k home fans and 4k away fans.

It's being a Vale fan. We've been let down so many times we don't take anything for granted; but neither should we in this case as it's 11 players v. 11 on the night.

The fact that our 11 are better than theirs doesn't always matter. I bet Villa took Bradford for granted and look what happened to them.

A friend of mine is Villa through & through. He bet me 50p that Bradford would get to the final!

Like he said Villa are struggling in the Premiership, they are struggling to score goals and keep clean sheets. They are low on confidence. They did'nt take Bradford for granted.

We are full of confidence and getting results. A totally different scenario.

Archived