onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread Rewind: Fulham v Port Vale 1987

robf

I've only just caught up with this. 

Thanks for putting it on. As you say the quality is quite poor and I struggled to see clearly what was happening for large parts of the game. I don't know if it was the age of the tape or the sunshine. It did get better as the game wore on.

But it was so nice to see the Vale win so well and of course goal machine Andy Jones score another hat-trick. 

As per normal with Sir John's teams we always tried to play a bit of football. I'd almost forgotten about the likes of Banks and Smith. Hazell and Sproson were solid enough weren't they, if lacking a bit of pace.  Not many centre forwards got past them.

Fulham - like a lot of places in London - sits alongside some affluent areas (Chelsea and Chiswick) as well as working class areas like Hammersmith. It's a bit of a generalisation I know. There are some lovely walks along the Thames from the ground and some nice old pubs. I always liked visiting Craven Cottage, with its memories of Johnny Haynes, Alan Mullery, Jimmy Hill & even Best and Marsh for a short spell. 

Advert

1 hour ago, TheSage said:

I've only just caught up with this. 

Thanks for putting it on. As you say the quality is quite poor and I struggled to see clearly what was happening for large parts of the game. I don't know if it was the age of the tape or the sunshine. It did get better as the game wore on.

But it was so nice to see the Vale win so well and of course goal machine Andy Jones score another hat-trick. 

As per normal with Sir John's teams we always tried to play a bit of football. I'd almost forgotten about the likes of Banks and Smith. Hazell and Sproson were solid enough weren't they, if lacking a bit of pace.  Not many centre forwards got past them.

Fulham - like a lot of places in London - sits alongside some affluent areas (Chelsea and Chiswick) as well as working class areas like Hammersmith. It's a bit of a generalisation I know. There are some lovely walks along the Thames from the ground and some nice old pubs. I always liked visiting Craven Cottage, with its memories of Johnny Haynes, Alan Mullery, Jimmy Hill & even Best and Marsh for a short spell. 

Always good to have a view of the past,  although difficult to watch.  There is a short newsreel of the 5th round defeat there somewhere, always good trips to the smoke in the old days. 

20 minutes ago, TheSage said:

Agreed.

I always enjoyed trips to Brentford too but of course they're now moving to a new ground, a bit further east down the M4 towards Kew. Be nice to visit one day I'm sure but it won't be like Griffin Park.

I've got a soft spot for Brentford as it was where myself and Jo, my wife lived for a while. We used to go to the odd Bees game too.

I drove past the two grounds the other day and I must say the new one looks really impressive - it's "jammed" in between offices and looks very modern but not the bog standard newbuild, it has some really steeply raked stands and some nice signage.

It won't be the same as Griffin Park but at least it's only ten mins walk away from the old place and seems to have some character. 

Nice picture.

My daughter currently lives near Kew Gardens so, like  you, I know the area well and we go past the new ground when we visit her. That used to be quite often but not so much in the current crisis.  

I always enjoyed going to Griffin Park - proper football fans and a warm welcome. It's a long way from Stoke but the journey is easy enough. Just don't get stuck in the left hand lane and end up in Heathrow Airport! And be prepared for some very busy traffic. Isn't that Chiswick roundabout the busiest road in the UK?

@TheSage West London and Key Gardens are lovely but the traffic sure is crazy around there. I was driving to Tooting as we'd successfully bid for a new keyboard on eBay for my daughter (she plays piano) and had to pick it up. Not only did I have to cope with London roads and drivers but with the pandemic there were temporary cycle lanes, road closures and allsorts. Then we had the fun of dodging traffic wardens while trying to fit a large keyboard into my small hatchback car. Luckily we managed it all and caught a glimpse of the stadiums on our way back to Aylesbury. The best news... she loves the new keyboard. 

Only went to Brentford once which was on valentines day in 2010 i think, we lost and Robbie was at the game, had been see soccer am first then found a pub in the town that did thai currys, the girls buggered off into london watch some crap show and me and my mate had a couple of pints then went the game, really liked griffin park and the area and the locals were really friendly. Met the girls in covent garden for a couple then headed home for Bromley, despite the result it was a quality day out.

Archived