onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Emulating other clubs

leedsvaliant

Its probable one or two teams/managers have cursed it when results didnt go their way... everton?.. spurs?

Even when it was new it wasnt exactly new, I cant remember much about the ground in the 50s.

I have a vague memory of a curse in the area by a local "witch", as for the ground, the old Bycars Stand came from the Old Rec, due to the shortage of steel after the war. Considering the restrictions at the time, it was a brave , if not in hindsight foolish, decision to be so optimistic. Moving from a restricted site in Hanley to a large plot of land allowed us the chance to think big.

Advert

Who gives a fxck about the colour of the seats!!

All this talk about "facilities" puzzles me...it's a football ground not an opera house. And frankly I'm always amazed how many people pay stupid money for weak beer and nasty food at matches but that's just me.

Most people do, or else teams would still be playing at their old stadia and would not have redeveloped current stadia or built new. The fact there are Vale fans like you who are heavily stuck in the past. VP should have been confined to club history back in the 90s. I'd rather have a stadium that the club can be proud of rather than one we are mocked for.

All these grand plans for a new ground and I am still waiting for a realistic opinion of how it would be funded.Before we get all the replies saying such a club has done it,most if not all of these clubs were sat on valuable land of which the sale enabled the move.The priority must be to get things right on the pitch,get to the championship and then who knows.

All these grand plans for a new ground and I am still waiting for a realistic opinion of how it would be funded.Before we get all the replies saying such a club has done it,most if not all of these clubs were sat on valuable land of which the sale enabled the move.The priority must be to get things right on the pitch,get to the championship and then who knows.

Again realistic options are sponsorships, also you then get places on board this is an example but things maybe like supermarkets, hotels or what ever else and the stand is almost funded. Stadium sponsorship, part ownership with the council (a possiblity) and not forgetting regeneration money. You say championship who knows, we would be laughed at with the dump of a stadium that is VP.

Who gives a fxck about the colour of the seats!!

All this talk about "facilities" puzzles me...it's a football ground not an opera house. And frankly I'm always amazed how many people pay stupid money for weak beer and nasty food at matches but that's just me.

I care about the seats, my standards are obviously higher than yours! I can't like looking at that mess surely? It look like a kid coloured it in.

TIf you want a "football ground" go to Biddulph Vics or Kidsgrove. League football is too expensive for the product to be so **** poor

Again realistic options are sponsorships, also you then get places on board this is an example but things maybe like supermarkets, hotels or what ever else and the stand is almost funded. Stadium sponsorship, part ownership with the council (a possiblity) and not forgetting regeneration money. You say championship who knows, we would be laughed at with the dump of a stadium that is VP.

But are these ideas realistic ? Wasn't their a supermarket not only a 100 yards away that had to close due lack of business,doubt the council with all it's cuts to their coffers would be able to help,we have never been able to get good sponsorship even in the heydays of the roaring pottery industry and lets face it at the level we are at their are far worse grounds and far better in my opinion to get laughed at for our ground than getting laughed at for the team on the pitch. In an ideal world a new ground,plenty of money for players state of the art facilities would be grand but we as Vale fans know things have never been ideal,the dream goes on.

Again realistic options are sponsorships,

Who though? Which companies are going to sponsor Vale enough to fund these things? Where are the studies to indicate that major companies are queuing up to do this?

An overdraft is more realistic :wink:

Seriously though which big company will think "It will benefit us to put money into Port Vale and have our name associated with the club and its new stadium" and so will put up the dosh. Bet365 is not in the picture!!! Ideally someone with local connections ..the pottery companies are unlikely to. Michelin? Screwfix? Sainsburys? There is also the factor that they'd surely rather be associated with SCFC with all their UK and global exposure...we're trying to compete with our neighbours for sponsorship and 99% of the time we'll lose out.

That's just naming rights/sponsorship..not the money to build the thing

We should offer to rename it "Smurthwaite Park" now and maybe he'll put up the dosh..it would be his legacy..a lasting memorial to his ownership of the good ship Port Vale...better than the almost legendary "Bell End" or playing a pre-season tournament called the "Ryder Cup" (it could have happened although might have run into trouble)

But are these ideas realistic ? Wasn't their a supermarket not only a 100 yards away that had to close due lack of business,doubt the council with all it's cuts to their coffers would be able to help,we have never been able to get good sponsorship even in the heydays of the roaring pottery industry and lets face it at the level we are at their are far worse grounds and far better in my opinion to get laughed at for our ground than getting laughed at for the team on the pitch. In an ideal world a new ground,plenty of money for players state of the art facilities would be grand but we as Vale fans know things have never been ideal,the dream goes on.

Only would the people of SOT see these things as unrealistic. I understand that at Port Vale we are the club that gets nothing. But this mindset needs to change the club needs to change. It can't carry on thinking the same old will work the club will not have a future at all.

Who though? Which companies are going to sponsor Vale enough to fund these things? Where are the studies to indicate that major companies are queuing up to do this?

An overdraft is more realistic :wink:

Seriously though which big company will think "It will benefit us to put money into Port Vale and have our name associated with the club and its new stadium" and so will put up the dosh. Bet365 is not in the picture!!! Ideally someone with local connections ..the pottery companies are unlikely to. Michelin? Screwfix? Sainsburys? There is also the factor that they'd surely rather be associated with SCFC with all their UK and global exposure...we're trying to compete with our neighbours for sponsorship and 99% of the time we'll lose out.

Clubs wee see smaller than Vale have managed it all, and studies ? well that is the job of who ever runs Port Vale. It seems be the only club that acts small but wants Championship. If the likes of Colchester, Shrewsbury, Rotherham, Burton, and others, then Port Vale can do it.

Archived