onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who's the Boss?

Alan Baker

It seems that Bruno is almost a peripheral figure when it comes to talking about players and performances.

Nearly every comment about the playing side of things is made by Smith. It seems that BR is behind Brown and Boomer when it comes to the pecking order with the press.

Smith seems to have a lot to say but not sure whether much of it makes sense and I am beginning to get a little concerned about who's pulling the strings.

Advert

That's a very pertinent question.

I don't think it is. The post will possibly stir up problems that don't exist - the simple fact is that whilst Bruno's English is pretty good, it is probably easir to interview someone in their mother tongue - so Smith and Brown often do it.

If anything it shows solidarity and trust in the camp, with good delegation of this duty whilst the manager concentrates his efforts where he should.

I was wondering the same thing.

I can understand that there may be a language barrier and that may be a factor.

Is it maybe that he doesn't want to speak to the Sentinel (as per his owner's preference)? However, that would not explain why other staff do and doesn't explain why Ribeiro's rarely quoted recently on the official site or been interviewed recently by Radio Stoke.

Is it perhaps he's keeping a low profile during the bad spell? If so, it seems an odd tactic as it doesn't smack of strong leadership unfortunately.

The last time he seems to have been quoted was when he was in the Guardian. Perhaps he only speaks to the national press nowadays... :wink: :whistling:

Brown talks pretty good English and is seemingly Assistant Manager.

But I think Brown's been quoted fairly recently too. Not as much as Andy Smith perhaps but his quotes still feature fairly regularly in the Sentinel.

Michael Brown - https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#tbm=nws&q=michael+brown+port+vale

Andy Smith - https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#tbm=nws&q=Andy+smith+port+vale

However, when you look for Bruno Ribeiro - https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#tbm=nws&q=Bruno+Ribeiro+port+vale

I don't think it is. The post will possibly stir up problems that don't exist - the simple fact is that whilst Bruno's English is pretty good, it is probably easir to interview someone in their mother tongue - so Smith and Brown often do it.

If anything it shows solidarity and trust in the camp, with good delegation of this duty whilst the manager concentrates his efforts where he should.

Aren't part of the manager's duties to be a leadership figure though?

Surely delegation is to do with sharing the press duties rather than not doing them at all yourself.

I think it's especially relevant when the club has had a poor run of form. I can't remember any previous managers not stepping up and talking to the media. They would either issue a rallying call to players or accept some of the blame for the poor form etc. Isn't it a form of taking responsibility? In other words - you're the team boss so you take on the duty of explaining the situation to the media, who then print it and it's read by the fans.

I also can't see how talking to the press is going to seriously effect any of his other "efforts". From what I've seen on Valiant Player the club interviews are four or five minutes after the game or four or five minutes in the tunnel after training - that's surely not going to have any major impact on the other things he does.

OK then, Bea Smith says it isn't. Might as well close the thread.

What an immature and sulky post. I gave my opinion, politely, and said 'possibly' but your personal hatred is something you should sddress - especially when it is aimed at someone who you have never met. Or perhaps your posts reflect issues when someone just has the audacity to disagree with you. Time to grow up ?

Aren't part of the manager's duties to be a leadership figure though?

Surely delegation is to do with sharing the press duties rather than not doing them at all yourself.

I think it's especially relevant when the club has had a poor run of form. I can't remember any previous managers not stepping up and talking to the media. They would either issue a rallying call to players or accept some of the blame for the poor form etc. Isn't it a form of taking responsibility? In other words - you're the team boss so you take on the duty of explaining the situation to the media, who then print it and it's read by the fans.

I also can't see how talking to the press is going to seriously effect any of his other "efforts". From what I've seen on Valiant Player the club interviews are four or five minutes after the game or four or five minutes in the tunnel after training - that's surely not going to have any major impact on the other things he does.

The difference with your post and the previous one by Santa is that whilst you have fairly strong issuesof disagreement with wh I wrote, you explained why - it's fine to debate nd disagree and allows others to make their own decision.

I suspect BR is a little sensitive to criticism as a new manager in England, and given the fact that spells at other clubs have not always worked out. He is probably taking the easy route of letting the others do the tricky interviews at a time when difficult games and poorer results have come.

I would also think he knows very well that OVF and the Sentinel have far more influence over Vale fans than the Guardian, and will likely be interviewing again when we beat Stevenage

I suspect BR is a little sensitive to criticism as a new manager in England, and given the fact that spells at other clubs have not always worked out. He is probably taking the easy route of letting the others do the tricky interviews at a time when difficult games and poorer results have come.

I think that could be the reason too. I guess it's a minor thing in some respects (results on the pitch are the biggest priority) but all these little things sometimes add up. For instance, a public plea for the crowd to get behind the team or to remind the players they are playing for their futures may just have a little bit of influence on the next game. On the flip side, staying silent may (as this thread proves) provoke questions about his leadership skills?

The question isn't BR's suitability or qualities, moreover Smith's.

The question isn't BR's suitability or qualities, moreover Smith's.

I understood they had worked together as a team before though - so it shouldn't really be an issue.

One thing is for sure - it will be the least of anybodys problems if we don't get through the FA Cup 1st round against Stevenage. I just wonder, given the madness that Vale conjour up sometimes - whether a repeat of a few seasons ago, draw at home with late Stevenage equaliser, then Vale win the replay away - not impossible.

Archived