onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Page: we could create something truly special

robf

Oh dear.

McGivern, Duffy, Birchall, Johnson, Daniel, Yates, Moore, Lloyd and Campion need to go.

Completely agree with your reaction and choices. Keeping both Duffy and McGivern would be crazy, bearing in mind that we've already got Streete and Nathan Smith as centre-back options next season, and we're crying out for a new strong, dominant centre-back to be signed too. I'd possibly keep Duffy as a backup option, but no way should McGivern be retained as well.

I'd add Robinson to the list too as he's not looked likely to repeat his Rochdale performance on a regular basis.

I'd also question retaining Dickinson, in terms of how much he'd be on. He was surely signed on a decent wedge 2 years ago and so, even if he took a cut like everyone else, is he good/important enough to be one of the top 5 or 6 earners in the squad? I'd say not.

However, its been obvious for weeks that Page will keep the majority on (again!), with his talk of a "superb squad", "fantastic group of players, been consistent and got us where we are" (....which is 12th, the last time I looked!), etc.

I reckon he'll only release Neal (be sad to see him go), Daniel (effectively already gone), Campion, Johnson & Lloyd.

Advert

My views on Page have softened despite being bored rigid a number of times earlier on in the season. I think he's shown remarkable restraint this season publicly in light of a few things that have gone on in the background.

I'd like to see him continue with minimal interference from the chairman. If we can add more goals next season without trading off our good defensive record then we can hopefully push on.

I don't have a problem with re-signing McGivern and Duffy. Sadly, it must be the final year for Yates and Birchall, with Smith doing so well and the new 3-5-2 system I can't see a place for Birchall. Robinson, campion and Neal I think will also leave.

Surely with ANY of the players named it depends on wages and value. Birchall offered and in fact I think did actually play for us for nothing once and if he and Yates are available as squad players at very modest wages then why not keep them if they give their best and keep fit.

Robinson may come good with a full pre-season at Vale, again worth a punt if the wages are right, and perhaps he could be paid on a modest basic but with appearance and goals scored bonuses.

Next season smith can be the squad player and surely he'll be on less than Yates. Listening to what page said on Saturday when he was asked about Yates he was very diplomatic but it sounds like he's going. I'd rather lose Robinson and bring in Inman from Crewe, I think we need another number 10 to challenge Dodds.

Sad to see the usual negative response to any initiative from some posters - not who do we want to retain but who can we get rid of. Any one who has watched the games home and away knows that Duffy and McGivern have been the backbone of our defence. Our weakness is in the creative department where we rely on fullbacks and often lack support for the front men. I welcome Page's positive attempt to improve Season Ticket sales and his positive attitude towards his players.

Archived