onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

next seasons squad

windsorvale4ever

if smurf is still here and he goes ahead with the reduction in player budget which players are still under contract and do we go with some of our youngsters or do we need to look at strength in depth with a smaller squad ? I hope enoch signs a new contract can we really afford to keep both keepers and get a good striker in ?

Advert

I don't think we can keep both keepers next season. Both are too good to be on our bench. Neal either stays as the cheap, solid option & we get some (possibly good) money for Alnwick, or let Neal go on a free & keep Alnwick who is a level above.

I'd prefer to keep Alnwick & let Neal go, as I believe in terms of a back up we will be fine with any average keeper.

Neal has already gotten tired of being back-up as per his loan to Doncaster, so if he loses his place again I think he'll go in the summer. Solid keeper but we have better anyway.

Squad of 22 for me to include;

Neal

Alnwick (sending one of the main keepers out on loan or in case we sell Alnwick)

Boot

Purkiss

Inniss (if we can get him again)

Duffy

Smith

O'Connor

Grant

Foley

Brown

Kelly

Andoh

AJ

That leaves 8 spaces for new players to include;

* left back

* another centre half

* a player who can cover right and left back

* two wingers

* three strikers

Haha great minds...

I agree with all that CV, & hopefully that is what will happen, there is a fair amount of deadwood. Don't think we need a squad of 33 anyway, I'd prefer to have quality (if possible) instead quantity.

Having 10 players who aren't even good enough to get on the bench in the background is a waste of money, yeah you get competition but after a while it becomes pointless, there will be players who end up having no motivation, as they're nowhere near the bench, never mind the first 11.

Alnwick boot smith purkiss Streete grant foley Kelly Hooper all have contracts past this summer.

I'd offer new deals to dicko, oconnor, aj, Dodds, andoh and even brown.

Release Duffy mcgivern birchall Moore Theo campion Johnson Neal Lloyd and all first year pros.

A long way to go yet. I would like to see some of those out on loan back with the club and given first team chances before the end of the season. Certainly I would not write off our youth policy as some appear to do. Team this year has been relatively successful particularly in defence, so we need to build on it not destroy it. We may have great problems because of those already under contract for next year.

Mmm build the buz,thought season ticket sales determines the budget,hence next years squad,so you might say it's in our hands,so we wait till end of May, the dream would be play off/championship football, 5000 season tickets sold, 1000+ away supporters great atmosphere at vale park,now that's a dream

You could release 11 players and nobody would bat an eyelid. Campion, Johnson, Lloyd, Birchall, Daniel, Robinson, Kapend, Bergin, Haughton, Steele and Reeves.

Add to that Deen-Conteh who's just been released and the pointless loan signing of Jak McCourt. That would be a few quid saved.

Mmm build the buz,thought season ticket sales determines the budget,hence next years squad,so you might say it's in our hands,so we wait till end of May, the dream would be play off/championship football, 5000 season tickets sold, 1000+ away supporters great atmosphere at vale park,now that's a dream

do you really think that supporters will flock back with mr page still manager, just a thought like.

do you really think that supporters will flock back with mr page still manager, just a thought like.

He's got a lot of good points to be fair. Equally he needs to change his plans for away games, spend the budget on quality, not quantity, get rid of his buddies that aren't good enough and improve the attack as he has the defence.

Under contract for next year...

Alnwick, Boot

Purkiss, Streete, Smith

Foley, Grant, Kelly

Hooper.

The squad has to be drastically reduced, even IF we are under new owners by then.

I'd offer contracts to…

Duffy, O'Connor, Andoh, Dodds and Leitch-Smith.

The rest can go for me (granted I'd be reluctant to get rid of Neal but needs must).

In addition at a minimum I'd be looking to get in a left back, a reserve full back who can play both sides, a winger and a striker. Then supplement the rest of the squad with young 1st year pro's.

Archived