onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Manchester Dogs Home

davidatpreston

I was very pleased to see that the Manchester Dogs Home which was destroyed by an arson attack that went unpunished (so far) has reopened due to the wonderful kindness of thousands of people who raised something like a million pounds for it to happen.

To all those people, God bless you and may life repay you with only good things for your kindness. It was also good to see that the surviving dogs from the fire were all adopted.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/14293530.Dogs__home_reopens_after_devastating_fire_which_killed_60_animals/

Advert

I'm delighted to hear that news.

We have two rescue dogs and our family love animals.

They can't speak for themselves so thank goodness for the work of places like this, as well as the bravery of the three lads who saved a few animals from the blaze on that dreadful night.

They can't speak for themselves so thank goodness for the work of places like this, as well as the bravery of the three lads who saved a few animals from the blaze on that dreadful night.

:) for your post, nice to read.

Those 3 lads should be remembered next time the New Years or other Honours Lists come round, far too often second-rate celebrities and greedy businessmen devalue these awards when they get them alongside brave and deserving and caring people. They shouldn't go to pop stars, footballers (unless they have done something more than just getting rich) and entrepreneurs unless they have invented or introduced something that benefits society.

It's just alluding to the big argument I had with you and another poster when this was originally mentioned.

I had forgiven it though I certainly hadn't forgotten it, even more so in light of your posts on other points since which seem to be sympathetic and caring, I never understood what made you put what you did. However, I wish to celebrate and look forward to greater animal welfare and thank those responsible formaking animals lives better.

Our pets make our lives much more bearable, people (and I include myself) can learn much from them.

Well said

:) for your post, nice to read.

Those 3 lads should be remembered next time the New Years or other Honours Lists come round, far too often second-rate celebrities and greedy businessmen devalue these awards when they get them alongside brave and deserving and caring people. They shouldn't go to pop stars, footballers (unless they have done something more than just getting rich) and entrepreneurs unless they have invented or introduced something that benefits society.

I seem to remember the 3 lads being pretty humble about what they had done. It takes some serious balls to do what they did.

Can I give a shout out for the work of the dogs trust and the Cats Protection League

We sponsor two dogs via the former and they do great work looking after dogs that for various reasons cannot be rehomed

As for the CPL we take in cats that have illnesses and usually not long to live (months) to give them a comfortable end of life and to stop CPL from having to pay for them..keep this in mind pls as whilst it's easy for them to rehome the cute cats and kittens those that 'don't look the part' (such as our one eyed cat Basil who passed away before Christmas) or have serious medical conditions (Sooty whom we lost at Easter) are more difficult to rehome. It's heartbreaking losing them after such a short time but reassuring to know that their last few months were happy and safe..and saves money for the CPL

https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/

http://www.cats.org.uk/

Can I give a shout out for the work of the dogs trust and the Cats Protection League

We sponsor two dogs via the former and they do great work looking after dogs that for various reasons cannot be rehomed

As for the CPL we take in cats that have illnesses and usually not long to live (months) to give them a comfortable end of life and to stop CPL from having to pay for them..keep this in mind pls as whilst it's easy for them to rehome the cute cats and kittens those that 'don't look the part' (such as our one eyed cat Basil who passed away before Christmas) or have serious medical conditions (Sooty whom we lost at Easter) are more difficult to rehome. It's heartbreaking losing them after such a short time but reassuring to know that their last few months were happy and safe..and saves money for the CPL

https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/

http://www.cats.org.uk/

I'm sorry to hear of your cats passing away, but glad they had some comforts and care in their last days.

Both these organisations, and many others do amazing work, and need help on a regular basis such as described above which is invaluable to their cause. I try to spread my own help around, but always buy all my Christmas cards and wrapping paper, calendars etc from the Cats protection League and give them a couple of donations a year. I must say they are very, very good in having contacted people to ask how often they should write to you, the opposite of these charities that harass some people.

I really feel the state should help some of these organisations a bit more, particularly when companies like Asda have removed both the food bank box and pets donation boxes from some of their stores. Cats need to be given the same status as dogs in law too, in my opinion.

Digressing slightly, it becomes law that dogs must be microchipped soon (March 2016 ?) but I find loads of people don't seem to know this and it has had virtually no publicity which is daft.

There are also a number of totally independent animal charities - one not so far from me is run almost single handedly by a lady who has between 50-100 cats in her house and garage/garden at any one time, and she keeps it spotless and they are all well looked after.

I take her 6 or 12 tins of food every few weeks, and she has dozens of small donations that keep her going. Some people at small local companies and other organisations have special bingo nights and raffles to raise money for her and she has been doing this for over 20 years, rehoming literally several thousand cats in that time. She even worked through having a broken hip the last few months and truly deserves a medal.

This lady says the same as the post above, that the older cats are more difficult to re-home as everyone wants kittens, and she has had some for 2 or 3 years.

Local dogs trusts and charities and a local hedgehog shelter also deserve a mention - but overall it is the small things we can all do, a bowl of fresh water outside in the summer, always giving the birds a slice or two of bread or fruit peelings, similar stuff in the winter, and even small donations to these charities can help a lot.

I did some work (along with my mum) for the CPL when the Post Office were capturing the feral cats in Newcastle and gassing them. Dudley Moore rang our house!

Nice to hear of your help, but I am shocked that an organisation like the Post Office is allowed to do that, and if it still goes on it needs more publicity in order to stop it, and quickly.

Archived