onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

West Ham - Olympic Stadium

Tone

My point is that without building it we'd never have hosted the Olympics...we'd not have won in the bidding process.

Now whether we should have been bidding to host them given the associated costs when compared to the legacy, income, prestige etc is a different matter.

Advert

The Stratford - Newham area is one of the poorest (perhaps the poorest place in London) and probably in the top ten for the UK. Given one of the aims of the London Olympics was to leave a legacy it would have been a fantastic tribute to gift the stadium to Newham Council. It would earn money, offer job opportunities and give people in the area a place to exercise and get involved in sport.

Of course this would have been too nice so better to spend more money on it and give it to a Premiership football team while screwing the nearest team (Orient).

Nice legacy.

The Stratford - Newham area is one of the poorest (perhaps the poorest place in London) and probably in the top ten for the UK. Given one of the aims of the London Olympics was to leave a legacy it would have been a fantastic tribute to gift the stadium to Newham Council. It would earn money, offer job opportunities and give people in the area a place to exercise and get involved in sport.

Of course this would have been too nice so better to spend more money on it and give it to a Premiership football team while screwing the nearest team (Orient).

Nice legacy.

Late 80s I briefly lived near to Upton Park and the poverty was very noticeable with a huge contrast between the haves and the have nots..I don't suppose that it's got any better. I dare say that there will be some employment opportunities at the stadium but it would be good if the area really made some money from it for the greater good of that part of the capital...perhaps an opportunity missed

Well done to them on getting thru in the end

If you think that was well done, I hope you don't judge Vale by the same standards. They disgraced themselves by losing on the night, possibly one of the worst ever club European results, and are only prolonging their agony in this competition and increasing their chances of relegation with red cards and players who will moan about being tired by October. Yes, well done.:laugh:

If you think that was well done, I hope you don't judge Vale by the same standards.

The standard being getting thru a knock out tie? Yep I'd be happy at vale doing that a lot any season.

They disgraced themselves by losing on the night, possibly one of the worst ever club European results,

Really? By what standard? they got thru and I don't see how anything else matters at this stage

and are only prolonging their agony in this competition and increasing their chances of relegation with red cards and players who will moan about being tired by October. Yes, well done.:laugh:

So you want to see Vale capitulate in the first round of all the cups this season cos we are far less likely to win them than WHU are likely to win the Europa league, make ourselves more likely to be relegated with red and yellow cards thru playing more matches and more chance of the players being tired?

Getting thru is a success and success should be applauded

The standard being getting thru a knock out tie? Yep I'd be happy at vale doing that a lot any season.

Really? By what standard? they got thru and I don't see how anything else matters at this stage

So you want to see Vale capitulate in the first round of all the cups this season cos we are far less likely to win them than WHU are likely to win the Europa league, make ourselves more likely to be relegated with red and yellow cards thru playing more matches and more chance of the players being tired?

Getting thru is a success and success should be applauded

Naughty- putting words in mouths again, Vale were not at issue here as for getting through - money counts to Vale in cups.

And no more should be this, that - telling people what they should do (applaud) - the achievement here is like a 12-year-old managing a long jump of three yards.

Naughty- putting words in mouths again,

Naughty..making another baseless accusation that ignores the facts as I did no such thing. Did you not see/comprehend the question mark? it was a question.

Vale were not at issue here as for getting through - money counts to Vale in cups.

You brought Vale into it not me and now claim that vale were not at issue?????!!!..Here's what you posted in case you've forgotten "If you think that was well done, I hope you don't judge Vale by the same standards."

And no more should be this, that - telling people what they should do (applaud) - the achievement here is like a 12-year-old managing a long jump of three yards.

And if that long jump results in the 12 years old winning or getting thru to the next stage then that success should be applauded, not derided.

England's fair play entry (Slothen Bilious's West 'Am- the pride of the slum dwellers) at it again - yet another red card, for three rounds running, plus a collection of yellows and another pathetic result against an unknown Romanian side, still we must applaud if they scrape through, mustn't we?

Any more suspensions and red cards and they may not be able to field a side for their league games.

bbc report extract -

West Ham's hopes of qualifying for the Europa League group stages suffered a setback as they were held after leading 2-0 against Romania's Astra Giurgiu.

Goals by Enner Valencia and Mauro Zarate put the Hammers in control of the third qualifying round before James Collins's dismissal changed the game.

Fernando Boldrin pulled a goal back before Angelo Ogbonna headed past his own keeper while attempting to clear.

West Ham now face a tough test in the second leg in Romania on 6 August.

A section of home fans at Upton Park vented their frustration by booing at the final whistle.

England's fair play entry (Slothen Bilious's West 'Am- the pride of the slum dwellers) at it again - yet another red card, for three rounds running, plus a collection of yellows and another pathetic result against an unknown Romanian side, still we must applaud if they scrape through, mustn't we?

Any more suspensions and red cards and they may not be able to field a side for their league games.

bbc report extract -

West Ham's hopes of qualifying for the Europa League group stages suffered a setback as they were held after leading 2-0 against Romania's Astra Giurgiu.

Goals by Enner Valencia and Mauro Zarate put the Hammers in control of the third qualifying round before James Collins's dismissal changed the game.

Fernando Boldrin pulled a goal back before Angelo Ogbonna headed past his own keeper while attempting to clear.

A section of home fans at Upton Park vented their frustration by booing at the final whistle.

From what my WH friend has said it was ALL the home fans.

Indeed we "must"..getting thru to the next would be a success..it's the very nature of cup competitions that getting thru a round is a success..how could it ever be deemed a failure to get thru

Do Europa league red cards/suspensions apply in the PL? Sakho, who was red carded in the previous round is facing a 3 game European ban only..same for Collins I suspect

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/west-ham/three_game_ban_a_major_blow_for_west_ham_striker_after_niggly_europa_league_win_1_4147241

If the BBC see it as a "tough test" who are we to say it's a pathetic result?

Archived