onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

(OVF) Owner tells OVF readers – we could break budget for Streete

Guest OVF Feature

Guest OVF Feature

Port Vale owner Norman Smurthwaite says he may personally inject money to sign defender Remie Streete but only if he...

Read more

This is an automated feed from the OVF front page

Advert

I think it is a bit too early to judge if Streete is a good player. He has showed potential but can he sustain his performance when playing 3 times in a week? We have no stats to judge by, he has only played 4 games at this level. I think it would be a massive gamble to sign him at the expense of somewhere else in the squad.

But to be fair every signing is something of a gamble. Look at what (very sadly) happened to Byron Moore on joining Vale. No-one could have forseen that and indeed wished it on anyone. No signing, no matter how good or proven is guaranteed to work.

I think it's simply taking a gamble on potential with the hope that if he does progress. We simply cannot afford too many proven quality players as they are out of our budget but I guess the hope is (in the style of John Rudge) that we buy players with potential and not every one comes off but enough do to make them massively more valuable than they were when they first joined us.

I get that but if we sign him for 2 years and he doesn't work out we have spent quite a lot of money, several hundred thousand pounds in wages if he is going to cost as much as rumoured. Will he sell for £500k plus after 1 season, who knows? If we only sign him for 1 year he could leave on a free at the end of the season although we would get a fee as he is under 21 (I think)

I'm not sure watching defenders excites many people. It's wingers and goalscorers that people come to watch.

Never said watching defenders excites people. Nevertheless its key we have a good centre back pairing and these two would be the answer. Im sure if our first two signings were Inniss and Streete fans would see that we have a solid base to a very good side. For me after the last few seasons it would be a breath of fresh air to actually have some decent defenders signed up for the year.

I think it is a bit too early to judge if Streete is a good player. He has showed potential but can he sustain his performance when playing 3 times in a week? We have no stats to judge by, he has only played 4 games at this level. I think it would be a massive gamble to sign him at the expense of somewhere else in the squad.

Why would it be a massive gamble? He looked very good on loan earlier in the season. We need a centre back desperately and him and Inniss would be immense. His agent is still adamant that in two seasons he will be in the premiership, remember he was highly rated by Pardew as well. Sign him up and then potentially make some money in a year or so's time

I get that but if we sign him for 2 years and he doesn't work out we have spent quite a lot of money, several hundred thousand pounds in wages if he is going to cost as much as rumoured. Will he sell for £500k plus after 1 season, who knows? If we only sign him for 1 year he could leave on a free at the end of the season although we would get a fee as he is under 21 (I think)

That's football though isn't it? You intend to get more successes than failures. So, for every few hundred grand that Rudge spent on the likes of Peter Beadle, he more than recouped it through signings like Ainsworth and van der Laan.

My point is - if you trust the managers/scouts' ability and follow the same methodology for every signing (i.e. buy potential that can be sold on) then even if some like Streete don't work then others will.

He would be a great signing, but is it likely………. probably not.

I am sure there will be other teams interested , I saw Sheffield Wednesday and Wolves mentioned.

I’m also not going over the top with Innis.

Is a 19 year old, with only 17 football league appearances really going to be our most influential player ?

Surely if he was that good he would have shown a bit more before now !

We’d be better off with a couple of seasoned centre half’s at the back in this division !

That's football though isn't it? You intend to get more successes than failures. So, for every few hundred grand that Rudge spent on the likes of Peter Beadle, he more than recouped it through signings like Ainsworth and van der Laan.

My point is - if you trust the managers/scouts' ability and follow the same methodology for every signing (i.e. buy potential that can be sold on) then even if some like Streete don't work then others will.

Trouble for me is, we had a reserve squad full of potential but I haven't really seen any sign of us either getting a decent first team player or a big money sell on yet. We let Jordan Hughill go for nothing for example.

Trouble for me is, we had a reserve squad full of potential but I haven't really seen any sign of us either getting a decent first team player or a big money sell on yet. We let Jordan Hughill go for nothing for example.

Wasn't Hugill an undisclosed fee? That could mean anything?

I can see your point. It's a lot more difficult to follow the Rudge style model when players can move under freedom of contract and compensation fees are generally low.

However, perhaps it hasn't worked for Vale so far because the real potential players have been few and far between (i.e. really just Hugill in recent years). If we have a crop of half a dozen talented players then that would not only increase the potential value we may get for them but by default the first-team would be doing better and that would bring in crowds, potentially success on the pitch and so on. Who knows, we may want to keep the developing talent as we move into the Championship ;)

I guess I would go back to my original view that is - if you trust the manager/scout to spot a good player then you then have to rely on luck. No-one can guarantee that someone will work out or not.

It's always a gamble to sign anyone. I guess you have to hope/trust that Remie Streete will prove his worth if he signs.

:upthevale:

i thought several of the development squad we released looked to have potential, Cheye Alexander for example, he is now with Aldershot. Wilson Carvalho, with Corby Town now but scored 4 goals in 6 games for Hemel Hempstead. If we had kept them both they might be pushing for a first team place now.

Wasn't Hugill an undisclosed fee? That could mean anything?

I can see your point. It's a lot more difficult to follow the Rudge style model when players can move under freedom of contract and compensation fees are generally low.

However, perhaps it hasn't worked for Vale so far because the real potential players have been few and far between (i.e. really just Hugill in recent years). If we have a crop of half a dozen talented players then that would not only increase the potential value we may get for them but by default the first-team would be doing better and that would bring in crowds, potentially success on the pitch and so on. Who knows, we may want to keep the developing talent as we move into the Championship ;)

I guess I would go back to my original view that is - if you trust the manager/scout to spot a good player then you then have to rely on luck. No-one can guarantee that someone will work out or not.

It's always a gamble to sign anyone. I guess you have to hope/trust that Remie Streete will prove his worth if he signs.

:upthevale:

You could argue that we'd have to be lucky for both Remi and Ryan to be consistently good enough....but stranger things have happened.

My gut feeling is that having two young CB's is a big risk unless they are supremely talented.

I think Neil Collins and Remi or Ryan at home, and all 3 away would be a decent pairing/tripling.

"Freddy's gonna get you" at RB and a new LB with Dicko as back-up.

What could possibly go wrong?

Archived