onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Grewy Talking Sense.

old sage

Advert

I hear what you are saying David but Norman should be sending out positive messages not telling us that he is cutting the budget. I'm not playing games when I say that I am really genuinely worried about the future of our team.

I've just listened to an ex QPR player saying rarely do you get a player who loves his club. We have one on our books and I believe that the Chairman has treated him with disrespect when he openly talked about how big a cut he must be prepared to take if he wishes to stay at the club. How kind Smurf sounded to allow are main striker to stay on next season.

Old Sage as you know I tend to enjoy a bit of banter and never try to get too wound up on here. Whilst like everybody else I want Smurf to be ambitious. However on the issue of Pope, Im a taxi driver and over the past few weeks ive picked up 2 of Popes friends, 1 who alleged he lived on the same estate. Now OK I don't know the true facts, and no I won't put on here, however if one of the figures is correct, then I would fully support Smurf in not paying that figure to a 29year old Striker who has not recaptured his form during our Promotion Season. A proven 20 goal a Season championship striker yes, but Pope is not at that level. IMO of course.

Wasnt the budget last year £1.7M?... [then smurf was asked for "extras" and gave it]

Isnt the budget this year £1.7M?...

Has the budget been cut?...

But Page's budget is being cut so Grew says the manager should be judged a success if he keeps Vale up

The manager should be judged successful if he keeps his job... the team should be judged a success if it betters its form, position, attendances and entertainment value... the club should be judged a success if it achieves team success, increases its income and has the ability to increase the budget next year

I've just listened to Mark Grew on RS and he was asked what he thought Vale's target should be for next season under Rob Page. I was quite shocked to hear him say that Vale will have done well to keep clear of relegation next year. He went on to say he hasn't got a massive budget (understatement of the year) so it will be difficult but if anyone can achieve it Rob can.

It looks like now he has officially left the club he can say what he really thinks. It would be interesting to know what our budget was when we were in administration because I remember it was said by the administrator that the club was solvent with the attendance figures that we were getting at the time.

The club's owner though appears to think that we can make a serious push for the play offs with his latest slashed budget. I don't know what he is smoking but it's damn strong stuff.:blink:

If I think smurf has dropped a gonad I will say so,

I think the strong stuff he is smoking is called financial reality and it bites real hard when you cant get what you want.

From what I have read the budget is the same as last year... where is the cut?....

if the budget is dependent on attendances and attendances fell the budget has been increased from last year.

I dont expect smurf to commit financial suicide by lobbing huge sums of money into the club to match other clubs budgets or other chairman's willingness to do so... or even to get managers out of the brown stuff because they cant do the job they are paid to do with the budget they know they have.

If your income allowed you £200 per week for "housekeeping" and your missus spent £500 a week how long would it be before you said enough?... how long would keep dipping into the savings and holiday money to cover it?

If I think smurf has dropped a gonad I will say so,

I think the strong stuff he is smoking is called financial reality and it bites real hard when you cant get what you want.

From what I have read the budget is the same as last year... where is the cut?....

if the budget is dependent on attendances and attendances fell the budget has been increased from last year.

I dont expect smurf to commit financial suicide by lobbing huge sums of money into the club to match other clubs budgets or other chairman's willingness to do so... or even to get managers out of the brown stuff because they cant do the job they are paid to do with the budget they know they have.

If your income allowed you £200 per week for "housekeeping" and your missus spent £500 a week how long would it be before you said enough?... how long would keep dipping into the savings and holiday money to cover it?

Geo, stop talking 'common sense', I just can't take it. I think I need an Aussie desert time-out ;)

Reading the rest of the paragraph might help you understand, sorry, what ?

It's not unfair - it was a alarming.

Regardless of what happened when he joined, the way in which they lost those games in that run and that important opportunity to end the season on a high against Fleetwood showed a total lack of respect for Rob Page.

That run could have got Page the sack and there certainly wasn't many that gave their all to see that that didn't happen.

I still can't believe that performance against Crawley and the attitude of the players.

Here we go again on the subject of "let's slate everything that is today's Port Vale". Same thinly veiled attacks. Same posts for another 30 pages.

Can't we give it a rest until at least we know what the first team / squad is?

old sage --> Is there anything, actually anything at all, that the club is doing right at the moment in your eyes?

Actually Vantaa on reflection then no not a lot. We have a Chairman who changes his mind more often than some change their socks. He needs a solid sensible and workable plan and stick to it. One thing I do know is that if Port Vale were a shop (in one sense it is because it sells football) then by continually cutting the stock budget the business would soon go bust. Sadly Smurf must of thought that he could just oversee things without any great amount of continual investment of his own. Well outside of the Premiership this is certainly not the case. This is proven by the clubs in our league who have a bigger budget than ours despite much smaller attendance figures.

Many argue that fans shouldn't expect the owner to constantly be putting his hand in his pocket. Well I'm sorry but I don't agree. He bought the club and as far as I am aware no one held his arm up his back to get him to do so. Owning a football club is an expensive hobby until you get to the promised land of the Premiership.

I remember the owner of one club when asked if the extra revenue from the likes of Sky was a big help? His answer though a shock made sense when he replied ''well before we got £5 million and we had to find £7 million. Now we get £10 million but we still have to chip in another £2 million to maintain our position in the league. So in truth the situation is just the same''.

Jesus wept, oldsage more like same old same old , absolute crap.grew was sacked it stinks of sour grapes. Get a grip.
Since I posted this thread I have heard the full interview and can assure you that there wasn't a hint of sour grapes in his opinion. He said that he had no regrets about leaving and respected the fact Rob wants to bring in younger coaches with fresh ideas and perhaps it is the right thing to do.

You don't have to be bitter to realise that if we escaped the drop by a couple of points this term then by cutting the budget next season it likely to be even more difficult to maintain our L1 status next year.

I'm no big fan of Grew as he hasn't improved any of our keepers that he has coached in fact I think he may have ruined one or two of the inexperienced ones with his 'stay on your line' ethos. Additionally he lost my respect when he used to sneer at the protesters outside the ground as he was too blind to see that the protests were for the long term good of the club. Okay as an employee we didn't expect him to join us but his attitude stunk.

Old Sage as you know I tend to enjoy a bit of banter and never try to get too wound up on here. Whilst like everybody else I want Smurf to be ambitious. However on the issue of Pope, Im a taxi driver and over the past few weeks ive picked up 2 of Popes friends, 1 who alleged he lived on the same estate. Now OK I don't know the true facts, and no I won't put on here, however if one of the figures is correct, then I would fully support Smurf in not paying that figure to a 29year old Striker who has not recaptured his form during our Promotion Season. A proven 20 goal a Season championship striker yes, but Pope is not at that level. IMO of course.
My main criticism was and still is the fact that the Chairman raised the subject on the radio of if Tom wants to stay at Port Vale he needs to accept a much lower salary. These facts even if they are true should be raised behind closed doors with Tom himself and not blabbed to the media.

I would also suggest that Tom's lack of goals over the past two seasons have largely been down to poor service from the flanks. Remember the song ''Feed the Pope........'' well we ain't been feeding him too well for a while now in my opinion of course.

My main criticism was and still is the fact that the Chairman raised the subject on the radio of if Tom wants to stay at Port Vale he needs to accept a much lower salary. These facts even if they are true should be raised behind closed doors with Tom himself and not blabbed to the media.

Cant argue with that

I would also suggest that Tom's lack of goals over the past two seasons have largely been down to poor service from the flanks. Remember the song ''Feed the Pope........'' well we ain't been feeding him too well for a while now in my opinion of course.

Cant really argue with that either

You don't have to be bitter to realise that if we escaped the drop by a couple of points this term then by cutting the budget next season it likely to be even more difficult to maintain our L1 status next year.

The budget last year was 1.7M... he gave adams and page extra [on top of the budget].. for whatever reason... the budget for this year is 1.7M.

The budget hasnt been cut... its the same... he says there wont be the extras.... If Im being honest I think he may change his mind if good things happen [dont hold me to that]

Wasnt the budget last year £1.7M?... [then smurf was asked for "extras" and gave it]

Isnt the budget this year £1.7M?...

Has the budget been cut?...

Indeed. Grewy is incorrect. The budget has not been cut at all. It was 1.7M last year and it is 1.7M this year. The only difference is that last year Smurf invested a further 700K to allow Micky to sign O'Connor, Marshall etc, and so far he has committed to not doing that again. The additional investment is now being viewed as "budget", which is incorrect.

Archived