onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

OVF frontpage down

robf

Hi,

It appears that our front page has been "hacked" as many of the pages were altered late last night (when I was asleep).

I am obviously working to resolve this but this may take a little time as I need to reinstall Wordpress and change all the site passwords for security.

Thanks,

Rob

Advert

It's one that is affecting a few Wordpress sites so he's prolific if it is. A load of advertising code has been added to the pages but ironically as the code was not right it simply creating an error msg instead of displaying their adverts.

It's not too difficult to sort out but time consuming and a reminder to me to set more difficult passwords on the site.

I reckon we should be back up about lunchtime if it all goes well...

There are still big problems with the OVF site.

I will keep you informed but it could be a day or more work to restore things.

It looks like an automated hacking robot managed to get the password for the main frontpage (no, it wasn't "portvale" it was a complex one I thought would be secure). Luckily I have a different password for the forum administration (backend) otherwise I have no doubt this forum would have been hacked too.

This will serve as a harsh reminder to set even more complex passwords.

Anyway, on with the attempt to restore all the right code...

Robf - thank you for your hard work sorting this out. Why do morons/sado's have to do things like this. Could it be they don't have life's and get their kicks by doing things like this.

Again thank you.

Thank you. Luckily I was off work today as it's taken me since 9am to fix this.

I don't think it was a specific targeting - the hackers inserted loads of shopping adverts/links into the site.

Stupidly their code didn't work and instead of the site showing their adverts it just showed an "error message" because their code was faulty. So, they are pretty stupid to take the trouble to hack the site and then put faulty code in.

* Anyone with bookmarked pages may need to delete them as many URLs have changed.

* Some functionality may not work - I will work on it but no guarantee of when...

* If anyone spots anything weird (adverts to Chinese websites) can you let me know ASAP

I will be changing all the site passwords to more secure ones and undertaking a full back-up so this is pretty much going to be 12 hours straight working on the site today :mad:

A friend of mine has had this problem. Also posting on the blog bit of her site. Watch out for PDFs from yourself next loaded with a Trojan. I notice wordpress has released a security update this week so hopefully that may help. As for passwords its not only you! The government have issued new standards for user passwords.

Archived