onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Gary B

forevervale

Benson can be a grumpy old box at times. Quite a lot of the time actually. He's also very dry and sarcastic. It's easy to create a distorted impression of someone if you don't know or haven't met them.

Gaz is alright, he does fall out with people but he's not the type of person who'll be everyone's cup of tea. I know him well and consider him to be a friend. Other people I also consider to be friends have fallen out with him but I'm grown up enough to know I don't have to take sides.

At the end of the day it's all very inconsequential whether he's a force for the positive or negative, in the great big scheme of things.

I dont know him Santa... except from PVO.... I agree he can be a grizzly sod at times but I havent seen anything to suggest he is malicious or egotistical

Advert

Directly I agree... it could be damaging to the chairman eg his credibility etc so inadvertently cause problems to the club

To damage someones reputation though, wouldn't you have to make a damning statement about someone which could end up with you facing a defamation charge?

To damage someones reputation though, wouldn't you have to make a damning statement about someone which could end up with you facing a defamation charge?

Its possible to do more damage by not defaming them..... ask the right questions and get the wrong answers, or no answers at all and people are left to believe what they see/read... and in such cases the assumptions people make can cause serious damage.

Not seen his latest comments but personally I think he's a positive force. Also to be fair to him, whilst he has raised a few issues with Smurf of late, he was also the first to defend him on his forum. Reading over there, it seems Smurf has been left with quite a lot of issues, after Wildes turned out to be more of a negative influence.

We live in a country where freedom of speech is a right (within the law). Social media allows people to air their opinions on any subject they see fit (within the law). Whether people agree with what is posted is up to them, and they have the right to reply to the poster if they disagree.

I do think that "personalising" a thread on such a topic is wrong. I don't know GB personally, never spoke to him in person, occasionally interacted with him on social media,but I wouldn't want people to form opinions of me as a person for what I post, without meeting me (given I post a lot of drivel :D). If I agree or disagree with what anyone posts is irrelevant, the fact is we all have the right to, without question (within the boundaries of the law/rules of the site etc).

The main question to respond to though is; can the posts of a person on social media be damaging to the club? I don't think so personally.

Could not agree more or have put it better myself ;)

Can someone highlight what he is saying and what the unrest is thats been uncovered?

The thread really is mute until wwe all know what he is saying otherwise what on earth are we discussing, its 3 pages in and I still have no idea (as I don't utilise Twitter) whether its positive or detrimental (though I guess it probably is based on history and the fact no news is generally perceived as good news) to the club we support.

We live in a country where freedom of speech is a right (within the law).

Sorry to be pedantic but we DON'T.

We did sign up to the European Convention on Human Rights but there are still exceptions to it in the UK which are covered by the Public Order Act ( things like harrassing, indecency, incitement to racism etc) and anti-terrorism legislation which prohibits publicising classified information stretching to calling for the monarchy to be overthrown.

So, technically SOME freedom of speech is a right but there are exceptions...

Yours nitpickingly,

Rob

Indeed, why have them at all. I only ever use them when Grebo posts. It's a Pavlov thing.

From communications I have had, it's a split choice between those who like them and those that don't. Therefore, I'd rather keep them and hope that those who don't want them ignore them, whilst still giving those who do use them the chance to do so.

Sorry to be pedantic but we DON'T.

We did sign up to the European Convention on Human Rights but there are still exceptions to it in the UK which are covered by the Public Order Act ( things like harrassing, indecency, incitement to racism etc) and anti-terrorism legislation which prohibits publicising classified information stretching to calling for the monarchy to be overthrown.

So, technically SOME freedom of speech is a right but there are exceptions...

Yours nitpickingly,

Rob

That's why I said "within the law".

Archived