onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Average home gates

Coskickabo

Just looking at the top average attendances published in today's Football League Paper it's disappointing to see that we are not in the top seven for the Division. For a club that is top of the league this is poor. To add insult to injury two of the bottom three clubs ie Plymouth and Bristol Rovers both boast better home averages than ours. I know the team seems to shoot itself in the foot and put in a poor performance whenever we get a half decent gate but is this a valid excuse.Why do so many former Vale fans appear to be permanently disaffected and what will it take to persuade them to return and stay? I was speaking to a former die hard Vale supporter recently who told me that he now takes his grand son to watch the other team ( shame on him!!) on the grounds that he wants to give him the opportunity to watch Premiership football( I presumed that he was referring to visiting teams). Is the other team's status a factor in Vale's attendance decline?

Advert

To be fair, plymouth and Rovers are big clubs. We've spent more time in admin than out so far this season, so there was a lot of uncertainty about the place. Form will always play a part, but above all it's simply too expensive for people to pay on the gate.

Despite all of that, I'm sure if we win the next few games, the home attendances in the run in will rise quite significantly.

Just looking at the top average attendances published in today's Football League Paper it's disappointing to see that we are not in the top seven for the Division. For a club that is top of the league this is poor. To add insult to injury two of the bottom three clubs ie Plymouth and Bristol Rovers both boast better home averages than ours. I know the team seems to shoot itself in the foot and put in a poor performance whenever we get a half decent gate but is this a valid excuse.Why do so many former Vale fans appear to be permanently disaffected and what will it take to persuade them to return and stay? I was speaking to a former die hard Vale supporter recently who told me that he now takes his grand son to watch the other team ( shame on him!!) on the grounds that he wants to give him the opportunity to watch Premiership football( I presumed that he was referring to visiting teams). Is the other team's status a factor in Vale's attendance decline?

i cant believe a former die hard supporter would go watch the other side, perhaps he went the odd game and called himself a vale fan but no real fan would be a turn coat. i know a vale fan who changed to stoke years a go and a few stoke fans who turned to vale in our glory period . but no die hard would change clubs, ask yourself could you do it?

Hello!! The 'Thought Police' have arrived on the scene!!

In fairness, it's not the first thread discussing attendances. There are a huge number of circumstances to factor into the equation. Have Plymouth got a premiership team down the road? NO. Is the population of Bristol much higher than Stoke on Trent? YES. Do Vale do £100 STs? NO.

More importantly, do I have to work most Saturdays? YES

We have been through all these arguments countless times.

i cant believe a former die hard supporter would go watch the other side, perhaps he went the odd game and called himself a vale fan but no real fan would be a turn coat. i know a vale fan who changed to stoke years a go and a few stoke fans who turned to vale in our glory period . but no die hard would change clubs, ask yourself could you do it?

No, absolutely no chance, but everyone is different. One lad who used to go Vale home and away, sat in the bycars, started songs etc...One day just decided he was going to start going Stoke around the time they had the new stadium. Think his brother and father were lardies, so that had an influence. I just remember within the space of a few weeks losing all respect for the lad. Hardly seen him since. It's the most pathetic, fickle thing I've ever seen. We took great satisfaction when they got relegated that season and we stayed up.

Archived