onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

League 2 Predictor with 20 games to go !

ollyandpatch

Advert

I've had a look at how many points the third placed team in League 2 has got in each season since we went to 3pts for a win. There were three seasons when there were only 22 teams in the division so I haven't counted them. Other than those the average number of points for third place was 81.53.

The most any third placed team achieve was 91 in the very first season of 3pts for a win when the top team got 96 points and 2nd and 3rd both got 91. The bottoms team that year was Crewe on 27 points, 15 points below the second bottom, but authomatic relegation to the Conference wasn't in place then so they didn't go down. The following year Vale finished third on 88 points but the fourth placed team only got 83 so 84 was all that was needed really. Crewe improved to second bottom that year!

Since then, on only one occasion would a total of 84 points not have got a team into third place and on seven occasions, the total needed was less than 80.

So if Vale get 32 points from their remaining 19 games, they would be extremely unlucky not to go up. That is 1.68 points a game. We currently have 1.92 points a game so we can afford to be a bit kak from now on and still make it ........... I hope!

Hey Fraggle I got Vale on 88 points too.

1.Vale 88 2.Gillingham 88 3.Cheltenham 81 4.Exeter 76 5. Southend 75 6. Rotherham 75 7. Fleetwood 73 Northampton and Bradford just missing out. At the wrong end Aldershot 42, Morecambe 42 Wycombe 42 and Wimbledon 43.

i've been very conservative with mine - have us losing at barnet, york, at home to morecambe and getting walloped 5-0 at chesterfield - plus a fair few draws (i expect our home form to become much stronger and our away form to dip as the season goes on) and have us winning the league on 89 points, rotherham second on 88 and fleetwood pipping gillingham to third on goal difference, both on 80.

full table

vale 89

rotherham 88

fleetwood 80

--------------------

gillingham 80

chesterfield 77

bradford 76

southend 74

--------------------

exeter 71

oxford 71

northampton 68

cheltenham 65

burton 64

york 61

rochdale 60

bristol rovers 57

morecambe 56

torquay 51

dag & red 51

wycombe 51

plymouth 48

barnet 46

wimbledon 44

--------------------

accrington 43

aldershot 40

i've been very conservative with mine - have us losing at barnet, york, at home to morecambe and getting walloped 5-0 at chesterfield - plus a fair few draws (i expect our home form to become much stronger and our away form to dip as the season goes on) and have us winning the league on 89 points, rotherham second on 88 and fleetwood pipping gillingham to third on goal difference, both on 80.

full table

vale 89

rotherham 88

fleetwood 80

--------------------

gillingham 80

chesterfield 77

bradford 76

southend 74

--------------------

exeter 71

oxford 71

northampton 68

cheltenham 65

burton 64

york 61

rochdale 60

bristol rovers 57

morecambe 56

torquay 51

dag & red 51

wycombe 51

plymouth 48

barnet 46

wimbledon 44

--------------------

accrington 43

aldershot 40

Play-offs should be crackers !!

The reason ourselves and Gillingham are a little way ahead of the rest is we have been consistent whereas the others have all taken points of each other, hopefully the trend will continue, assuming Bradford is off we have five games we on paper will be heavy favourites to win so the more wins we get there the better. If we win all five which isnt beyond the realms of possibility considering the highest place side we have in that spell is Morecambe then we could end up in mid-late feb needing only 4 wins and a couple of draws to win promotion!

Archived