onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Colin Garlick.

10 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Why don’t people just stop speculating?

Because people care, Jacko.

The fanbase shouldn’t be a hierarchy – if there’s anything one fan can know, the whole fanbase can know it.

While I appreciate the time, money, and effort you, Bede, and the others put in for the betterment of our club, dangling little tidbits of information in front of the rest of us is just plain unhelpful. 

I’d honestly rather you just say nothing than “No, you’re wrong, but I refuse to tell you why you’re wrong”.

• Like 1

Advert

25 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Why don’t people just stop speculating?

Yeah, why don't people stop speculating, on a football forum, about a subject very few people know the truth about. 

For the person above who said remember Kevin, he has heart problems and is staying in the background. 

• Thanks 1

Because people care, Jacko.
The fanbase shouldn’t be a hierarchy – if there’s anything one fan can know, the whole fanbase can know it.
While I appreciate the time, money, and effort you, Bede, and the others put in for the betterment of our club, dangling little tidbits of information in front of the rest of us is just plain unhelpful. 
I’d honestly rather you just say nothing than “No, you’re wrong, but I refuse to tell you why you’re wrong”.
So you would prefer to believe the opposite is true.

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app

13 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

So you would prefer to believe the opposite is true.

I don’t know what to believe, which is exactly my problem and what leads people to speculate.

I’d also like to point out that I haven’t done any speculating on CG, but merely asked for those in the know to share their knowledge rather than simply telling people they’re wrong.

Again, if there’s something CS feels like she can tell one fan, she should be prepared to share it with all the fans.

Edited by headsup
Missing word
  • Like 2

I don’t know what to believe, which is exactly my problem and what leads people to speculate.
I’d also like to point out that I haven’t done any speculating on CG, but merely asked for those in the know to share their knowledge rather than simply telling people they’re wrong.
Again, if there’s something CS feels like she can tell one fan, she should be prepared to share it with all the fans.
Employment matters can be made public under some circumstances. Usually, some aspects are confidential, just because some fans may be privy to certain aspects does not mean they have to share them. Pointing out misleading aspects can be a help or ignored. I was disappointed when he left, why I am not sure.

32 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Employment matters can be made public under some circumstances. Usually, some aspects are confidential, just because some fans may be privy to certain aspects does not mean they have to share them. Pointing out misleading aspects can be a help or ignored. I was disappointed when he left, why I am not sure.

I hear you, but all fans are equal as far as I’m concerned. It’s a very risky strategy for the club to share sensitive info with certain fans – those fans could easily let that info slip, accidentally or otherwise.

I’m firmly of the belief that the club should either tell everybody or tell nobody.

I’m also of the belief that you shouldn’t make statements without backing them up with facts. Telling people they’re wrong and then basically saying “that’s for me to know and you to find out” gets us no closer to the truth, and verges on playground behaviour.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, headsup said:

I’m also of the belief that you shouldn’t make statements without backing them up with facts. Telling people they’re wrong and then basically saying “that’s for me to know and you to find out” gets us no closer to the truth, and verges on playground behaviour.

Yeah I don’t understand this mentality either really. If it can be explained; ie. “I know because of X but I can’t say because Y”, then that’s clear enough for me. 

But then also if you can’t say for whatever reason, it’s probably better/more helpful for others to just leave it. It others reflects quite poorly, as though practically saying you’re ITK is a bit attention seeking.

I have no investment in CG, except for me the timing of his departure can be seen as an indication of when it all started to go wrong. So the ‘why’ is more a bit curious. 

• Like 1

Regarding who is privvy to know, I see it like this.

A lot of us have a source that feed us bits of info, but none of us wish to give up our source.

If Carol comes out and says "this is how it is", then maybe we may not believe her. If Carol confides in the likes of Jacko and Bede on sensitive issues so that they can can in turn to the rest of us and say look "Carol is right by not giving away information on X, Y and Z because it is in the best interests of an individual" then I fully trust them and it should be laid to rest. Former managers, CEO's whatever, they are humans and just as we as individuals wouldn't want the world to know about why we were sacked/laid off the same should be respected in return.

17 hours ago, headsup said:

I hear you, but all fans are equal as far as I’m concerned. It’s a very risky strategy for the club to share sensitive info with certain fans – those fans could easily let that info slip, accidentally or otherwise.

I’m firmly of the belief that the club should either tell everybody or tell nobody.

Unfortunately, it simply doesn’t work like that. 

When Norman was in control, myself and Mark Porter approached Carol at the time when she had failed to publicly buy the club from Norman and had therefore withdrawn her interest from buying the club. I’ll reveal no more than that, other than to say we built up a dialogue based on trust. Months later, Carol buys the club. 

Latterly, that same group of people had grave concerns for the club’s future and approached the club with their concerns. That former trust led to some forthright discussions. The intention was to minute everything and release all to the fans. However, a very large chunk of information was incredibly sensitive and private, which provided background to explanations behind certain decisions, and was therefore simply not sensible to publicly reveal, so we respected the wish to not minute the information. 

We could have destroyed that trust and revealed lots of sensitive information, or we could have just walked out due to us not being allowed to relay much back to the fanbase, but either of those scenarios would not have facilitated the discussions that we had that, for one led to the dismissal of Flitcroft, and secondly will now lead to greater fan engagement with the club going forward. 

I’m entitled, as a fan, to counter someone stating something as fact, when I believe it not to be a fact. Unfortunately, if I’m told something in confidence then that confidence will remain, because I uphold integrity. However, I do agree with some of your points, and this will be my fear with how the club get it right in relation to fan engagement. Having been involved with fans’ groups for over 20 years, off and on, I’ve seen no shortage of people get involved for the wrong reasons. And worse than that, a very large percentage can’t resist temptation to sound off to folk.  It’s a tough balance, hinging on blind faith. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, WV said:

Yeah, why don't people stop speculating, on a football forum, about a subject very few people know the truth about. 

For the person above who said remember Kevin, he has heart problems and is staying in the background. 

Kevin didn't look too bad when I said hello to him the other day.

On 19/04/2024 at 21:03, Jacko51 said:

That is not the real story. 

Sometimes we hear things from people inside the club that if made public could put that person in serious trouble . Obviously I don't mean Carol but stuff that Carol doesn't want made public. If a statement comes out that isn't the truth I would prefer to hear someone like Jacko saying they know it isn't the truth even if she cannot divulge her source.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bede said:

Unfortunately, it simply doesn’t work like that. 

When Norman was in control, myself and Mark Porter approached Carol at the time when she had failed to publicly buy the club from Norman and had therefore withdrawn her interest from buying the club. I’ll reveal no more than that, other than to say we built up a dialogue based on trust. Months later, Carol buys the club. 

Latterly, that same group of people had grave concerns for the club’s future and approached the club with their concerns. That former trust led to some forthright discussions. The intention was to minute everything and release all to the fans. However, a very large chunk of information was incredibly sensitive and private, which provided background to explanations behind certain decisions, and was therefore simply not sensible to publicly reveal, so we respected the wish to not minute the information. 

We could have destroyed that trust and revealed lots of sensitive information, or we could have just walked out due to us not being allowed to relay much back to the fanbase, but either of those scenarios would not have facilitated the discussions that we had that, for one led to the dismissal of Flitcroft, and secondly will now lead to greater fan engagement with the club going forward. 

I’m entitled, as a fan, to counter someone stating something as fact, when I believe it not to be a fact. Unfortunately, if I’m told something in confidence then that confidence will remain, because I uphold integrity. However, I do agree with some of your points, and this will be my fear with how the club get it right in relation to fan engagement. Having been involved with fans’ groups for over 20 years, off and on, I’ve seen no shortage of people get involved for the wrong reasons. And worse than that, a very large percentage can’t resist temptation to sound off to folk.  It’s a tough balance, hinging on blind faith. 

Thanks for your reply and explanation, Bede. I think the crux of this debate comes down to fan engagement, like you say – it hasn’t been good enough this year which has led to wild speculation and vicious rumour. This is my number one criticism of Carol (who I hold in the highest regard) and something the club must improve on fast. Especially seeing as we’ve been told time and time again that comms and transparency will be improved yet no real progress being made.

I’m an idealist so I’ll stand by my point that if one fan can hear something, all fans should be able to hear it. Honestly, I think some battle-hardened and heavily involved fans like you and Jacko should be on the board in some capacity so that you can lend Carol your advice, and she can share sensitive information with you in confidence without people like me crying out about inequality within the fanbase.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Kevin didn't look too bad when I said hello to him the other day.

Absolutely ridiculous comment, especially in this day and age when awareness around hidden disabilities and illness should be much higher. Give your head a wobble.