onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Guilty Pleasures....What's On Your Ipod?

scooby2

Advert

I saw O'List in the very early Roxy Music , he was awful.

We could hear all these eerie backing vocals but couldnt work out where they were coming from until we spotted Eno on the sounddesk near the back . It was !971 , after all. I think Roxy were supporting Quintessence. Saw the Nice do America with Emerson throwing daggers at his Hammond , and then throwing the Hammond! That was Autumn 1969. Crosby is ace.

Great to find that someone else has memories of the Nice, who I spent a lot of my early wage packet contents on following round various London clubs, some very small too.

In October 1968 they had The Nice on 6th of the month and Pink Floyd on the 9th at the Hampstead Country Club, which couldnt have held more than 150 or 200 people and both were great to watch. I only saw the Nice once with O'List on guitar though, and at that point he was brilliant, but later youtube videos show him looking very 'damaged' and almost hiding behind the speakers.

Keith Emerson made him turn his guitar down, and though Emerson was my hero I have come to change my opinion of him for being such a primadonna in ELP and how he got rid of O'List (though O'List was having real problems by the time he departed from the Nice, not showing up for gigs etc.)

I wrote for a couple of music/underground papers in 69/70 and actually got to interview Keith Emerson in his Chelsea apartment, but a week or two later, by the time Id written it up, the Nice were no more and he was off to ELP. Came across friendly but very, very self-assured and ambitious. I'm not sure how true the story is that ELP (Emerson Lake and Palmer) were going to be HELP with Jimi Hendrix but then Hendrix sadly died - cant imagine Emerson sharing the limelight myself.

I wish id seen O'List with very early Roxy however bad he might have been, Ferry was apparently desperate to get him and he helped a lot to get the group started, but I read and heard that his old problems emerged and Phil Manzanera had to replace him on guitar at Eno's insistence.

Ferry still rated O'List though and used him on his solo hit 'The In Crowd' which has a blistering and Hendrix-like guitar part. O'List has also been voted in the worlds Top 100 guitarists (Rolling Stone mag I think) which is quite amazing as 99 per cent of people haven't heard of him.

And Quintessence get a mention from you too....that takes me back to a smoky (ahem) Roundhouse in Camden Town where they seemed to play a lot on the Sunday 'Implosion' nights, some incredible afternoons/evenings there with fantastic memories of people like Mott the Hoople, Edgar Broughton Band, Stray, a bit later Dr Feelgood and even the Doors and the Stones played there.

Quintessence had a very special calming yet exciting prescence though, and I can't imagine anyone ever doing anything similar again.

Excuse the slightly offtopic witterings, but the mention of these ancient treasures stirred up a few memory cells. :)

Which undergroung mags?

The Help story is I believe true, although Hendrix was also recording with Love. There are also stories of Hendrix jamming with Fairport in LA during the Full House/Thompson era. I have had contact with someone who claims to have tapes but hasnt come back with anything yet. I shall be speaking to the Fairports tonight so might ask the question, although only 2 remain from that era.

Mott of course were wonderful.

Which undergroung mags?

The Help story is I believe true, although Hendrix was also recording with Love. There are also stories of Hendrix jamming with Fairport in LA during the Full House/Thompson era. I have had contact with someone who claims to have tapes but hasnt come back with anything yet. I shall be speaking to the Fairports tonight so might ask the question, although only 2 remain from that era.

Mott of course were wonderful.

I wrote for International Times from Autumn 1969 for a year or so, had full page pieces printed on the Edgar Broughton Band, Principal Edwards magic theatre, Ten Years After, Stray, Mott the Hoople and a few others, a piece on record shops that had some places threatening to sue them, an article about 144 Picadilly (a famous squat in a London mansion that got massive national coverage) and had 20 or so album reviews published - never got more than a few quid and a lot of free albums and free entry to concerts but it was great fun. Got to meet a lot of interesting people too, Edgar (Rob) Broughton and his brother Steve and the other band member Arthur Grant were amazing people, Peter Hammill from van der Graaf Generator was a really nice guy too. Less impressed with lee Jackson, bass player of the Nice.

Then had some pieces published in 'Time Out' magazine which was/is a London listings mag and contributed a couple of very small bits to Zigzag magazine and Oz, and much later (1990's) wrote football stuff for a number of newspapers and magazines.

Hendrix with the Fairports sounds interesting, also Love's early albums are amongst my favourites - the song '7 and 7 is' still chills to the bone.

I wrote for International Times from Autumn 1969 for a year or so, had full page pieces printed on the Edgar Broughton Band, Principal Edwards magic theatre, Ten Years After, Stray, Mott the Hoople and a few others, a piece on record shops that had some places threatening to sue them, an article about 144 Picadilly (a famous squat in a London mansion that got massive national coverage) and had 20 or so album reviews published - never got more than a few quid and a lot of free albums and free entry to concerts but it was great fun. Got to meet a lot of interesting people too, Edgar (Rob) Broughton and his brother Steve and the other band member Arthur Grant were amazing people, Peter Hammill from van der Graaf Generator was a really nice guy too. Less impressed with lee Jackson, bass player of the Nice.

Then had some pieces published in 'Time Out' magazine which was/is a London listings mag and contributed a couple of very small bits to Zigzag magazine and Oz, and much later (1990's) wrote football stuff for a number of newspapers and magazines.

Hendrix with the Fairports sounds interesting, also Love's early albums are amongst my favourites - the song '7 and 7 is' still chills to the bone.

I must have read some of those . I have a pile of Zig Zags in the loft, the one with Hunter playing his Iron Cross on the front has a classic Mott article.

I was Exeter Uni at Principal Edwards time

Archived