onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Youth academy Yes or No?

old sage

Crewe's academy has generally been a massive success but its obviously an expensive set up for a League 2 club. The problem with Crewe in recent years has perhaps been balance. Too much money spent on the academy and not enough on the first team. Crewe is a unique club in that the academy is the life blood of the club and they rely on it to unearth players to sell on to keep the club going. However, they also need a decent enough first team to ensure that when it comes to signing up kids, graduation to the first team is still desirable enough for these kids to choose Crewe over bigger clubs. Crewe is an attractive prospect for lads because they know that they have a greater chance of getting into the first team one day than say at Man City. However, as they have slid down the leagues, the consequences of not getting a first team chance are greater. For example, a youngster who hasn't quite got in to the Man United team from the academy would still interest plenty of clubs lower down the pyramid purely due to the club's status. A player who has failed to get into a mid table League 2 side is certainly going to raise less interest. So the positives of choosing Crewe over a bigger club are diminished somewhat, which may explain why they haven't quite produced the same talent in recent years.

Advert

Correct - I reiterate my earlier point that we have probably received more income in compensation payments over the last couple of years than from income received from first team players sold.

Vale under 14's recently played Man City. They were that impressed that they took 4 on trial. Under the new system I would imagine Vale will fall in to category 3 which means I think we will be able to take players from aged 12 onwards?

Oh thats fine then we find them,then the big boys take them off us. If thats how it works shut it down. In that way at least the top clubs will have to find them for their selves.

The way football is run stinks. In my opinion apart from current positions all clubs should have the same rights. Where are my tablets I can feel my blood pressure rising.======

Crewe's academy has generally been a massive success but its obviously an expensive set up for a League 2 club. The problem with Crewe in recent years has perhaps been balance. Too much money spent on the academy and not enough on the first team. Crewe is a unique club in that the academy is the life blood of the club and they rely on it to unearth players to sell on to keep the club going. However, they also need a decent enough first team to ensure that when it comes to signing up kids, graduation to the first team is still desirable enough for these kids to choose Crewe over bigger clubs. Crewe is an attractive prospect for lads because they know that they have a greater chance of getting into the first team one day than say at Man City. However, as they have slid down the leagues, the consequences of not getting a first team chance are greater. For example, a youngster who hasn't quite got in to the Man United team from the academy would still interest plenty of clubs lower down the pyramid purely due to the club's status. A player who has failed to get into a mid table League 2 side is certainly going to raise less interest. So the positives of choosing Crewe over a bigger club are diminished somewhat, which may explain why they haven't quite produced the same talent in recent years.
The gravy boat has sunk. It was torpedoed by the Bosman ruling. Crewe would be well advised to wake up and smell the coffee. Their academy the envy of the country is fast turning into a white elephant and a millstone around their scrawny necks.

All due to as you quite rightly say each time they sold a player the money went into the wrong pockets and not invested in the team. The attitude being oh well we can produce plenty more, sorry folks I think it over.===

Are nursery clubs legal in England? I would prefer buddy clubs, where say 3 or 4 clubs are linked to say Man City, and give playing chances to young lads. Man U players have spells in Holland I believe.

I think you are right which is why Utd used Royal Antwerp in the past. I think the buddy clubs idea is a real goer. Didn't Crewe have some such arrangement in with Liverpool in the past. I don't think any of the big boys would touch us with the present shower in charge, but maybe Mo can orchestrate something with his contacts when he takes charge.

The gravy boat has sunk. It was torpedoed by the Bosman ruling. Crewe would be well advised to wake up and smell the coffee.

Cant agree with that really. Bosman ruling came into effect in 1995, since then Crewe have made the following notable transfers:

Wayne Collins - Sheffield Wednesday- £600,000

Danny Murphy- Liverpool- £3,000,000

Robbie Savage- Leciester City- £400,000

Dele Adebola- Birmingham City- £1,000,000

Gareth Whalley- Bradford City- £600,000

Seth Johnson- Derby County- £3,000,000

Jermaine Wright- Wolverhampton Wanderers- £500,000

Mark Rivers- Norwich City- £500,000

Rob Hulse- West Bromwich Albion- £750,000

Dean Ashton- Norwich City- £3,000,000

Luke Varney- Charlton Athletic- £2,000,000

Nicky Maynard- Bristol City- £2,250,000

Thats £17m worth of money coming in since the Bosman ruling, over £12m of which involves players that have come through the academy. To me the problem is that now they are in the fourth tier, other clubs find it easier to tempt their better players away while other potential stars are less likely to go. One bad season and all of a sudden they are a non-league club with an expensive academy which could potentially cripple them and would not be worth as much in terms of player production because the standard has/will continue to drop. Even if they were in League 1 there is still that safety net of being able to offer academy graduates league football. Its no co-incidence that none of the players on that list were sold when they were in the fourth tier.

Oh thats fine then we find them,then the big boys take them off us. If thats how it works shut it down. In that way at least the top clubs will have to find them for their selves.

The way football is run stinks. In my opinion apart from current positions all clubs should have the same rights. Where are my tablets I can feel my blood pressure rising.======

That's how it's always workerd. Like i said before though, when the new regulations come in the compensation packages will go up drastically, for example you could be looking at seven figure fees for 13 year olds.

Big teams now are more prepared to spend half a million on a 12 year old than buy an 18 year old for 5 million. That's just the way it's gone.

That's how it's always workerd. Like i said before though, when the new regulations come in the compensation packages will go up drastically, for example you could be looking at seven figure fees for 13 year olds.

Big teams now are more prepared to spend half a million on a 12 year old than buy an 18 year old for 5 million. That's just the way it's gone.

Why do You think the prices will go up?

Archived