Advert

Advert

Youth academy Yes or No?

old sage

A successful youth policy is only good investment if;

1. The club can attract lads with talent and desire

2. Youth development remains independent of the first team manager

3. The coaching staff are targeted to develop the players

4. The board has the detailed knowledge of proper contract offers to bring the players through and benefit the club with sell-on clauses etc

Advert

One of Mo Chaudry's team has told me a fully funded Academy is one of their goals........This present unprofessional lot have a rag, tag and bob tail set-up which includes parents 'subsidising' their kids attendance through buying kit AND paying for their kids. Plus they cut this years youth budget by 100k.......

The C of E have also produced a number of lads in the 10-15 age group who have been snapped up by Prem League clubs for agreed compensation. The lad Jasper Jones who played for the under 17 England side the other night is a prime example.

You will probably find that compensation payments received over the last 5 years has exceeded monies received for transfers of professional players?

We definately need a youth academy, people like Martin and morsy are proof of this. One player a season and its worth it imo.

Theres the young keeper coming through now and isnt there someone else who man utd have looked at?

The problem lies with the FA they should make sure that the compensation is based on what the player goes on to achieve though imo.

The C of E have also produced a number of lads in the 10-15 age group who have been snapped up by Prem League clubs for agreed compensation. The lad Jasper Jones who played for the under 17 England side the other night is a prime example.

You will probably find that compensation payments received over the last 5 years has exceeded monies received for transfers of professional players?

I would expect MC to run the business properly with profit centres for all aspects, then we will know what is happening and where to put investment or not. Players develop at different rates, have spurts, dips, come back, drop out, etc. Plenty of examples Mark Bright, Ian Taylor etc. Our facilities can be used for all grades of player, either as future professionals - producing 2/3 a year, or skills for local football - who may come back as late developers, or community football - who become Vale fans. Scouting of players available or on a wish list, of all ages is required to augment our own finds. Taking it to a Academy level outside the Premier league is uncertain at present with their changes being considered. Somewhere there is a balance between a community activity, to which parents may have to pay, and a player factory. Or is it cheaper to buy or to attract young or ready made footballers?

This is what fan's don't realise. There have been alot of lads taken by the bigger clubs that might not even make the grade for good compensation packages. This compensation will only increase dramatically when the new academy regulations/revamp comes in during the next 12 months or so.

I think that with Stoke in the PL it makes little commercial sense to throw massive amounts of cash at an academy. Our position means that it is probable we will cream off the ebst of the local talent so what is the likelyhood of finding enough to justify the expense.

I know some on here will hate the idea but an agreement between our clubs would suit both down to the ground. We could get players like Cuvelier, Moult, Suljevic, Lund, Agbaje & Bossman out getting an opportunity to play first team football and you get much needed bodies around the place. It annoys me that both clubs are so one eyed that they do not see the mutual benefits.

I think that with Stoke in the PL it makes little commercial sense to throw massive amounts of cash at an academy. Our position means that it is probable we will cream off the ebst of the local talent so what is the likelyhood of finding enough to justify the expense.

I know some on here will hate the idea but an agreement between our clubs would suit both down to the ground. We could get players like Cuvelier, Moult, Suljevic, Lund, Agbaje & Bossman out getting an opportunity to play first team football and you get much needed bodies around the place. It annoys me that both clubs are so one eyed that they do not see the mutual benefits.

Premier League rules dictate minimum standards, which will increase in the future. The TV money has got to filter down to develop England players, instead of low quality imports cluttering up the league.

Stoke don't get the cream with respect. its still the Manchester and Merseyside giants who get the best of the bunch in this area - eg James Wilson England under 18 from Biddulph - at Man Utd.

Guest from another angle

if you get the best how come your bottom of the academy table ?

Guest from another angle

and also being in the prem wont make any difference in the next 12 months if you dont meet the new critiria you wont be able to play the big clubs anymore ,and apparently under the new rules which clubs are graded there are only 4 clubs in the country at present that meet grade 1 out of 3 grades and stoke ant one of them

We definately need a youth academy, people like Martin and morsy are proof of this. One player a season and its worth it imo.

Theres the young keeper coming through now and isnt there someone else who man utd have looked at?

The problem lies with the FA they should make sure that the compensation is based on what the player goes on to achieve though imo.

But at the moment we arent getting a good player each season. Two league 2 substitutes dont make it a success. THe youth system at vale has been quite blatently failing over the last 5-10 years. But most dont want to change for the same small minded reasons some support the board. Look at the uproar on here when newton suggested it. He was right, but 'we dont like outsiders coming in and telling us how its done, its not the vale way'.

But at the moment we arent getting a good player each season. Two league 2 substitutes dont make it a success. THe youth system at vale has been quite blatently failing over the last 5-10 years. But most dont want to change for the same small minded reasons some support the board. Look at the uproar on here when newton suggested it. He was right, but 'we dont like outsiders coming in and telling us how its done, its not the vale way'.

As Knypersley has poined out, the young lads that shine are 'poached' by the bigger clubs, they constantly monitor our youth team. Any proceeds go towards keeping the youth system at the Vale going.

Sir John, was an outsider. Good enough for me.

Archived