Advert

Advert

Mickey Adams, consistent failure?

SuperValiant1876

Mickey Adams, success or failure  

301 members have voted

1. 1. Mickey Adams, success or failure

• Success
    • Content with his efforts in very hard circumstances, hope to see more when this mess is cleared up
    • Consistent Failure

Yeah, successful in not getting us relegated - I stand by that, given some of the players he inherited from the previous regimes. You seem to forget how bad we were before Mickey. If the only way you measure success is by promotion, then he's never going to be successful with this squad and no money. He has got us close to promotion once with some very ordinary players, so I think that merits him being called a success in that sense. But like I said in my first post, we will only know when his hands are untied and he is able to get the players he wants in - so measured against promotion criteria only, he will never be successful under this regime.

One measure of success is how many players he has brought on from the reserves - and that is one achilles heel for Micky - i think Morsy deserves a run out, especially after the last couple of games.

Absolute nonsense. If the team her inherited were relegation fodder, why did he re-sign them? Every player bar Yates has been signed by Micky Adams. If building a team with a top 6 budget, and managing to avoid relegation is success then he has the easiest job not only in football, but the whole country!

He also hasn't got us close to promotion either.

Myth after myth after myth. I don't particularly want him gone,must lets not make things up.

The only legitimate point you make is one where he has failed, and that is bringing through young players.

Advert

We'll have to beg to differ Cheeky, because I'm not taking the finishing position as "close to promotion" but looking at where we were through the season - which was close to promotion. And this 6th biggest budget in the league - how is that measured? Is it based on running costs transfer money, salary bill, or what?

Micky Adams successful?

From where we started when he took over he has certainly to some extent stabilised the club. Yes him departing to Sheff United didn't help but after the regime over of Sinnott and Glover the club was just in free fall. However the club was so low back then any man and his dog coming in would have been an improvement.

With one of the largest fan bases and wage bills in this division surely the club should have achieved something under his tenure. How many years on now and we haven't even made the play offs. Didn't Micky say when he first came to the Vale that we would be promoted within 2 or 3 seasons. (I might be wrong on this and my memory might be wrong). By his own expectations he has failed. Even if he didn't say it and i am wrong i m sure Micky expected himself that he would achieve promotion or the play offs by now. He took over when we has an average mid table squad achieving nothing and that is exactly where we are now. In my opinion we haven't moved anywhere.

When you look at the make up of the squad, what has Adams brought to the team? None of his signings have really excelled. The best players at the club Griff and Rico were brought in by previous regimes. The players under Adams in my opinion seem to have gone backwards especially this season so is he even a good coach?

Why oh why were players like Haldane, Taylor, Dodds etc offered two year deals when they are fringe first team players at best. Why weren't they offered one year deals or even better released? Surely this could have freed up money to sign better players.

Why did we make such a play in the summer for Tom Pope when we could have made a move for Billy Kee or the lad who is banging goals in at Southend, Dickinson i think his name is. I don't question Tom's effort and he does give 100% when he puts a Vale shirt on but lets face it if he wasn't a Vale supporter people would be questioning his goal scoring record more. Especially when smaller clubs like Burton have Kee and have even got Justin scoring goals for fun. Why couldn't Adams get JR scoring like that? How can Burton have JR, Kee and Zola? Aside from Rico and to some extent Williamson who in my opinion will be a very good player in the future they have a much more potent attacking line up. As proven by the goals they have scored and their league position.

Sadly we are now in a position where probably our most creative midfielder is a loan player from the mighty Stevenage Borough and he can't get into their first team. A team that was in the Conference only two seasons ago and we now get their fringe players. Well i say that, now we can't even afford to keep Myrie Williams but i guess that is more the failure of the Board and not necessarily Micky Adams.

How we all laughed and chuckled at Jim Gannon this time last year when he stated the squad wasn't good enough and the coaching staff weren't up to the task.

Under Adams we have gone nowhere. If he left though would we be in an even worse position. Is he the best that we can hope for? This season we won't make the playoffs based on what I have seen. If Adams doesn't make at least the playoffs next season he will go. He might even go earlier if we aren't doing any better than we are this season.

In League 2 terms Port Vale is a massive club if not the biggest and we should be banging on the door of the playoffs at least.

Absolute nonsense? i don't think so. See my reply to Cheeky re getting us close to promotion - spent a lot of time in the playoffs didn't we, or doesn't that count?

Like I said before, selective recall is wonderful - given the trail of debris left behind by the previous 3 muppets, and the teetering near the brink that went on at the other end of the table.

Micky signed this squad because he thought he could build on it, a bit at a time, like Rudgie used to - get the spine right, then get other players in. He has managed that in part, but had the rug whipped from under him when he needed resources to push on up the league.

Anyway, you are entitled to yours, and I am entitled to mine - glad you thought I had a point about Morsy at least.

Absolute nonsense? i don't think so. See my reply to Cheeky re getting us close to promotion - spent a lot of time in the playoffs didn't we, or doesn't that count?

Like I said before, selective recall is wonderful - given the trail of debris left behind by the previous 3 muppets, and the teetering near the brink that went on at the other end of the table.

Micky signed this squad because he thought he could build on it, a bit at a time, like Rudgie used to - get the spine right, then get other players in. He has managed that in part, but had the rug whipped from under him when he needed resources to push on up the league.

Anyway, you are entitled to yours, and I am entitled to mine - glad you thought I had a point about Morsy at least.

Surely after 3 season and a decent budget, keeping us league 2 can't be used as a success criteria. I can't believe how low vale fans expectations are, and it's no wonder Bratt was able to carry on with his 'we are where we are' nonsense for so long. How depressing.

My expectations aren't low though, but i think they are realistic at present - I genuinely want better, but have come to realise that the club has been very badly run for a long time. I happen to think Micky has been successful in keeping us away from the danger zone, and occasionally in the playoffs. Still want to know how the "6th biggest budget" figure is calculated as well.

I guess it boils down to half empty or half full. I just don't think judging Micky as a failure is fair, but then I am generally in favour of him (though he isn't perfect). On another point mentioned further up this debate, I would genuinely like to know how a loan period at the Vale is perceived by players at other clubs. Clubs down south can take London based players because they can commute from home, and stay inside their comfort zone. Would Liam Dickinson have come to us?

He's played for Huddersfield, Leeds, Barnsley and Stockport, so he obviously isn;'t afraid of travelling north of the Thames - and if it is money he wants, we do have thje sixth largest budget in the league - don't we?

First period did well, so not a total failure. Success, no we're still in league 2. Option 2, I don't think the off field stuff completely explains the bad signings, lack of motivation and naive tactics. So I'll vote option 2, although I don't completely agree with it (so I can see the results of the poll).

Archived