onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Wimbledon 2018

robf

In an incredible semi final, Kevin Anderson eventually overcomes John Isner 26-24 in the fifth !

Isner was also involved in a mad five setter against Nicholas Mahut a few Wimbledon’s ago when he eventually progressed 70-68 in the deciding set !

And to think of all the fuss about the Pancho Gonzales v Charlie Passerell match in the late 60’s !

Advert

It's been great entertainment this week, particularly the last two days. Nadal and Djokovic tonight is superb and as you say the Isner-Anderson game was incredible. It must surely mark the end of these very long fifth sets as Anderson will be knackered on Sunday.

My favourite player is Federer - yes, I know, I'm one of the many. But his stylish play and graceful movement is a joy to watch. We have been so so lucky to see him, the King of Clay, and one or two others of the same generation. The best we have ever seen in all probability though I still have a soft spot for Rod Laver.

It's been great entertainment this week, particularly the last two days. Nadal and Djokovic tonight is superb and as you say the Isner-Anderson game was incredible. It must surely mark the end of these very long fifth sets as Anderson will be knackered on Sunday.

My favourite player is Federer - yes, I know, I'm one of the many. But his stylish play and graceful movement is a joy to watch. We have been so so lucky to see him, the King of Clay, and one or two others of the same generation. The best we have ever seen in all probability though I still have a soft spot for Rod Laver.

As you mentioned Rod Laver, I knew that he had done the Grand Slam on two occasions in ‘62 & ‘69. What came as a surprise was that he “only” actually won three other majors outside these Grand Slam years !

Throughout the 60’s Australia produced a whole plethora of top players in addition to Laver such as Rosewall, Roche, Newcome and others I’ve forgotten. The women’s game also produced one of my favourite players in Margaret Court.

What happened to that marvellous production line ?

Lleyton Hewitt would stand out for the men (I won’t mention Kyrgios) and Sam Stosur for the women, but not too many names trip off the tongue in recent times.

Maybe ripping up their grass courts didn’t help ? :sad:

Not much interest in tennis - us two apart!

Roy Emerson was another Aussie great, but it is odd how their well has dried up.

And I won't mention Bob Hewitt who was Australian but became a SA citizen and won loads of doubles matches with Fred Stolle & Frew McMillan. A shocking end to his glorious tennis career, but you can't tell what kind of person anyone is from their public persona as we've found out over here in recent years!

Doubles doesn't quite seem such fun to watch as it used to be. I suppose the growing prize money has affected that.

The MAN to watch if you ever get a chance is Mansour Bahrami. Still plays on the senior tour and more entertaining than an evening with Peter Kay. His autobiography is also fascinating to read. I've seen him a few times but he's still top value and great fun.

I suspect the Americans have a good few players (as they should) coming through, judging by what I've seen of the juniors at Eastbourne and SW19 lately and it surely won't be long before they have a man at the top again. McEnroe, of course, was a wonderful player [and I do like his commentary] but a real brat on court. Was it around 80-81 when he beat Borg in that memorable final?

Why are left handers better than right handers? Or is that a myth?

McEnroe always makes me smile with his little asides.

He was talking about that final you mention in ‘81 and said that everyone always refers to that brilliant tie break that Borg eventually won. “But people never mention that I won the match and title” !

On your point about Bahrami and entertainers, I always loved watching Fabrice Santoro. He played a style of tennis rarely seen with delicate shots with a vast array of spin which was in total contrast to the “boom boom” style of today.

In today’s final, it’s difficult to look past Djokovic, especially after Anderson’s epic semi final win.

Hardly sticking my neck out, but I’ll go for the Serb in 4.

The MAN to watch if you ever get a chance is Mansour Bahrami. Still plays on the senior tour and more entertaining than an evening with Peter Kay. His autobiography is also fascinating to read. I've seen him a few times but he's still top value and great fun.

I saw Bahrami play in the veterans doubles with one of my all-time favourites, Henri Leconte, on Ladies Finals day in 2012. It was absolute wonderful to watch - two players who regarded entertainment as a key role in their time on court. Brilliant stuff.

Re Margaret Court - wonderful player but not a very nice person.

I saw Newcombe play at Wimbledon in 1972 and saw Nastase and Tiriac playing in the doubles on the same day. I saw Sampras in 96 and also Jana Novotna. Interesting, the youngsters I had taken with me all thought the women's game was more entertaining than watch Sampras hit the cover off the ball!

On a similar point, I would urge anyone to read the book “Bounce” by former British No.1 table tennis player and quality newspaper correspondent Matthew Syed.

It doesn’t make any references to “leftie’s” in particular, but is basically about how practice does make perfect in sport.

The story (and true story) of the chess playing parents is quite remarkable.

I’m not big on reading ,but as an avid sports fan this title had me engrossed from cover to cover.

I saw Bahrami play in the veterans doubles with one of my all-time favourites, Henri Leconte, on Ladies Finals day in 2012. It was absolute wonderful to watch - two players who regarded entertainment as a key role in their time on court. Brilliant stuff.

Re Margaret Court - wonderful player but not a very nice person.

I saw Newcombe play at Wimbledon in 1972 and saw Nastase and Tiriac playing in the doubles on the same day. I saw Sampras in 96 and also Jana Novotna. Interesting, the youngsters I had taken with me all thought the women's game was more entertaining than watch Sampras hit the cover off the ball!

Your point about Court as a person and her recent comments are spot on, as are Sage’s views about Bob Hewitt. I certainly don’t condone either of their actions, I comment merely from a sporting prospectus.

One of my very few times on the show courts was McEnroe v ‘72 Wimbledon champ Stan Smith on No. 1 court. As Sage comments, seeing sport live makes you appreciate how good, and in particular fast, professional sport is. As I remember, McEnroe took Smith apart that day.

The atmosphere was electric as everyone waited for a Mac outburst. We didn’t have to wait long !

McEnroe & the afore mentioned Nastase ( not forgetting Connors )were loved by the British public because they appeared to take on the establishment, something that was unheard of within the “strawberries & cream” supporters of the Wimbledon institution. Although, perhaps, Jeff Tarrango took it too far !

A shame the final was a bit disappointing but Anderson (understandably) looked well below his best whereas Djokovic seemed close to his imperious prime again. He is a fabulous player and still has time on his side to better his current amazing record. I thought he'd struggle to regain his place among the very best but how wrong I was!

Archived