onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tomo absolved of blame...

George

Advert

From the time that Loft lost the ball to the time that the lad shot it was 3 seconds! Yes, Tomo could have turned towards his goal, sprinted back at full pace, turned around and he probably would have saved it. However, had their player played a through ball to a striker he would have been horribly out of position and would have got blamed for not coming of his line quick enough!

If you're going to blame anyway (instead of just giving their player the credit he deserves) then blame Loft, he gave the ball away very very cheaply.

I accept that Loft played his part but I don't believe Tomo himself feels that the goal was nothing to do with him. However good a shot is, a professional keeper should not be beaten from over 50 yards.

Anywho..there is no right or wrong on this, just various opinions.

I based mine opinion on being a goalkeeper for 10 years myself and having personal training off professional goalkeepers, which includes where you should be positioned at any given time.

I guess Grewy bases his on 30+ years as either a goalkeeper or coach.

I accept that Loft played his part but I don't believe Tomo himself feels that the goal was nothing to do with him. However good a shot is, a professional keeper should not be beaten from over 50 yards.

What do you base that on Jacko? Professional keepers get beat from that distance up and down the country every season.Should they all hand up their gloves as they're clearly not good enough to be professional?

Anywho..there is no right or wrong on this, just various opinions.

I based mine opinion on being a goalkeeper for 10 years myself and having personal training off professional goalkeepers, which includes where you should be positioned at any given time.

I guess Grewy bases his on 30+ years as either a goalkeeper or coach.

He may well be a goalkeeper of over 20 years and a coach of the last 10+ years. So why is it every keeper he's coached has gone backwards and lost any ability to command their area or catch the ball? It's happened as far back as I can remember, even Goodlad.

What do you base that on Jacko? Professional keepers get beat from that distance up and down the country every season.Should they all hand up their gloves as they're clearly not good enough to be professional?

Don't be daft, George. Making one mistake doesn't mean you should hang your gloves up. You're just being silly now.

Anybody else witness/remember this.....

http://www.blackpoolfc.co.uk/page/MatchReport/0,,10432~23449,00.html

"If ever a goal changed a game it was the one that put Pool back on level terms, the passion and commitment that was absent in the first half returned along with the self believe and on the hour Pool took the lead and what a goal! Richie Wellens picked up the ball just inside the Port Vale half before chipping Vale 'keeper Johnny Brain, it's difficult to put into words the goal, but it was similar to that of David Beckham at Wimbledon a few years ago, yes it really was that good!"

Surely the art of goal scoring is putting the ball where the keeper cant stop it. if goalkeepers always knew where the ball was going to cross the line there would be no goals. Sometimes they would have to move before the shot was kicked, and calculate deflections also so to be in the exact position to stop the ball. When that happens football will die. In the meantime there will always be an element of chance, the ball goes the right or wrong side of the bar/post, or even plops in the mud a la Regis. The main thing is to learn and gain experience.

..for the second goal but criticised for the first.

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/Port-Vale-Grew-absolves-Tomlinson-blame-Oxford/story-13722038-detail/story.html

Pleasing to see Grew's opinion mirrors mine.

The 1st he was clearly at fault for (along with the defender) the 2nd he was beaten by an unbelievable bit of skill.

Grew is covering his own back. He's coached him to stand so far forward. Let's see where he stands next match.

It'll be interesting to see where the respective keepers stand on saturday and how they alter their position when the ball comes further into their half.

Adams didn't absolve him.

Grew is covering his own back. He's coached him to stand so far forward. Let's see where he stands next match.

It'll be interesting to see where the respective keepers stand on saturday and how they alter their position when the ball comes further into their half.

Adams didn't absolve him.

The ball was 3 yards into our half! He should have been dropping back to his 6 yard line from his original standing position of between the penalty spot and the edge of the area.

The trouble is, he can't tele-port. It acually takes a bit of time to move the 10-12 yards required.

Adams is not a goalkeeper.

Just thought I'd make the point that quite a few players try the 'Hollywood lob' several times a season, and most either clear the bar or go wide.

I'd think that most keepers, knowing this, would take their stand down the field just in case someone gets put through on goal - which is the much more likely scenario. If a lob comes off, then give credit to the scorer - and move on.

Archived