onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

SEO still alive & Kicking

old sage

Wilfried Fritz Pareto, was an Italian engineer, sociologist, economist, political scientist and philosopher. One of his observations which has found widespread application in many situations is a propensity for 80% of the effects to derive from 20% of the causes. In the case of SEO, what I argue, in addition to his wisdom above which I think should be obvious to a sage, is that SEO got 80% of the benefits from the first 20% of its effort. Carrying on has diminishing returns. In fact I think it has no return at all.

I am familiar with Pareto but not with your application of it to SEO, upto now we have had words but no actions. The actions are 80% of the objective, the words can be withdrawn.

Advert

Well, lets try another argument. SEO harms the club, the corporate entity, it doesn't deduct a penny from its targets' wealth. To counter SEO I try to spend a bit more at the club each week now.

You're not a revolutionist though, Warren. You quote philosophy, and theory from writers, but SEO is all about campaigning for change. It's a social movement. And an effective one.

You're not a revolutionist though, Warren. You quote philosophy, and theory from writers, but SEO is all about campaigning for change. It's a social movement. And an effective one.

Port Vale

Richards 42 Dodds 90

2 - 2

Crawley Town

Barnett 39 McFadzean 51 Dempster s/o 77

Match Links

Live Scorecentre

npower League 2 6th Aug 2011 KO 15:00 Ground: Vale Park Att: 5,889

Really effective.:laugh:

I said SEO had achieved 80% of its benefit from the first 20% of its effort. I don't think that benefit is measurable because its input is financially negative and its output, if there is one, is behavioural (board members leave). The key to change was the EGM and allowing a little time afterwards for things to move on. Now the keys to change and improvement are Mike Lloyd, Perry Deakin, Micky Adams (team). I can appreciate why people would want to stay way as any customer has the right to do that and plenty of garbage has been played the last few years, but the SEO is behind the curve now. A bit like ships made with rivets.

Port Vale

Richards 42 Dodds 90

2 - 2

Crawley Town

Match Links

Live Scorecentre

Incredibly effective. Some time ago, we had 8 unwanted directors, now we only have 2 of those remaining, with apparently one standing down in December. What do you think caused that? Apart from the board's commercial mismanagement and incompetence I mean.

Do you think the supporters' campaigns have had nothing to do with this?

Democracy in the face of adversity. They stuck to it, and I hope they will continue to do so.

Black and Gold maybe, but SEO not so much. It all started out with good intentions, and with the appointment of Gannon and his failure meant that it rode the crest of a wave, however, during the summer, the current regime in the summer got Micky Adams back, have now trimmed down the board and Mike Lloyd has had a positive immediate impact. The problem with SEO is that it has become personal now, and the organisers love the control they have over a minority of their supporters. B&G have suspended their protests and have turned their attentions back to supporting the team and getting into League One. It's time to buy your season ticket and support your team and support the players on the pitch.

Black and Gold maybe, but SEO not so much. It all started out with good intentions, and with the appointment of Gannon and his failure meant that it rode the crest of a wave, however, during the summer, the current regime in the summer got Micky Adams back, have now trimmed down the board and Mike Lloyd has had a positive immediate impact. The problem with SEO is that it has become personal now, and the organisers love the control they have over a minority of their supporters. B&G have suspended their protests and have turned their attentions back to supporting the team and getting into League One. It's time to buy your season ticket and support your team and support the players on the pitch.

Quitter?

B&G demonstrated the overwhelming support for change. SEO hit the board where it hurt as they are hanging on by the skin of their teeth, whatever you believe.

Do you think that the moral pang felt by directors seeing the B&G following had more influence over them than the financial smack in the mouth SEO delivered? Do me a favour.

It is even more credit to the campaigns that the team are able to get on with their good start to the season.

You concentrate on that and leave the others to get on with sorting out the future of your club. Don't try to force them back yet. They have a job to finish.

Marc. Are you aware that the gate against Crawley was the lowest first home gate for 5 years in the league?

That despite the return of the prodigal son Micky Adams.

Personally, after the EGM, I made the decision that I wouldn't financially support the club in any format until the will of the majority of shareholders was respected.

Bratt and Oliver going will achieve that IMHO, however until they have left the club, they haven't respected the will of the vast majority of shareholders. Indeed the manner in which they have treated Mark Sims, a man elected by the shareholders of the business, shows the continued contempt with which the majority of shareholders are held by the board.

As such, I feel no moral responsibility for not putting my business the way of the club and until the will of the shareholders has been met, I personally will not attend any game at Vale Park. I won't purchase any shares. I won't spend anything in the club shop.

That isn't a personal thing against the board, it is about the principle of a supposedly fans run club running roughshod over the will of it's fans.

When the club finally acts in the manner of a fans run club, then perhaps some of us can reconsider our stance.

It's not my club (thankfully), I just have a ST due to my wife and it being her club. It frustrates her so much because she just wants the club to push on, fresh start, things have changed now or are changing. The club won't have been hit that hard by SEO either. Perry has worked wonders securing extra sponsorship, like Greene King and Elior.

Guest southburslemvaliant
As I have said on the other thread I think calling off the demonstrations is a little premature... personally I would have preferred simply silence and not calling for any to take place.... SeO is a different matter as its a personal choice (like living out of the country)not a campaign decision.... in my opinion its the last line to show the will of the fans... an intangible nettle that needs to be grasped by whoever is in charge.

...and exactly how many protests have you attended?

...how many matches have you attended this season?

So, my answer to you is: how do you know what the will of the fans is?

Port Vale

Richards 42 Dodds 90

2 - 2

Crawley Town

Match Links

Live Scorecentre

2007/08 L1 Port Vale 1-1 Bristol Rovers att: 6,808

2008/09 L2 Port Vale 0-2 Accrington Stanley att: 6,643

2009/10 L2 Port Vale 1-1 Rochdale att: 6,158

2010/11 L2 Port Vale 1-1 Chesterfield 6,444

As you failed to deduct the away following; so will I and maybe someone could help out on that? But yep i'd say effective to a club in our financial posistion... Enuff said! ===

It's not my club (thankfully), I just have a ST due to my wife and it being her club. It frustrates her so much because she just wants the club to push on, fresh start, things have changed now or are changing. The club won't have been hit that hard by SEO either. Perry has worked wonders securing extra sponsorship, like Greene King and Elior.

I'll reserve judgement on the deals 'secured' as I'm not sure anyone really knows what they have brought in. I'd be surprised if it's anything significant given the amounts the stand sponsorships were being touted around at.

I'd say 700 season tickets down on last year will have hit. 700 x £250 = £175k.

It won't however be now it hurts the club as it should now be sat on a decent amount following the summer and season ticket money having come in. It'll be down the track in the winter months where SEO will be felt IMHO.

All in, it's a farce that it ever got as far as this.

So, my answer to you is: how do you know what the will of the fans is?

Perhaps not the will of the fans, but the vast majority of shareholders spoke loud and clear at the EGM, and were ignored.

I'd say the shareholders, 900 odd of them, is probably as good an indicator as you'll get to opinion amongst the masses.

Why worry about something that is having little effect?

Archived