onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Gaps in the team

tobert1985

Green forward to left side midfield, Collins to left back, McDonald or Owen to centre half. I know they are not fully match fit but I don't like two stattic easily marked strikers. So Rigg replaces Pope. Need Roberts to be more effective and that requires more movement. Same for Green, he has a good pass and cross and yesterday our static strike force didn't use that by threatening to turn the defence. A factor last season was that Richards and Richards were worked out by November and we have to have more dimensions up front.

Advert

Barnett's goal was onside just. I watched it back a number of times as it comes off the flick on. There was another Crawley player offside, but he didn't interfere.

I am not happy with Thomo on their second goal though, he should have stopped that. In fact although he made a couple of good saves I thought he had dracula problems all afternoon and that needs sorting.

Pope was a straight replecement for J.R.

We cannot afford wages for the extra striker ?

6 new signings - all young lads

1 made the team - because Owen injured

1 made the bench - again if Owen fit he may not

Where have we strengthened ?

Dodds Taylor Haldane > they arrived to change the game for us ?

Great. We have had this for 3 years.

They appear and do well for half an hour and we think its all o.k.

The next game they are boo ed off the pitch

They are not good enough. FULL STOP

Last year M.A. was after Davies and Whittaker and appeared to be not bothered about youth at all.

This year, we need to deveolp our own youth ???

Is this a new M.A. ?

Or M.A. who knows there is no money

but also knows he has a 3 YEAR CONTRACT

and a ready made excuse if we fail this year

" it takes time to develop youth players"

People then criticise supporters who want change.

Give me strenth

The same people who will be pig sick in two months if we are in a poor position but then it will be too late again.

Dont get me wrong i would love to be wrong but having seen the players we have at Vale i dont think so !!!!!!

Pope was a straight replecement for J.R.

We cannot afford wages for the extra striker ?

Last year M.A. was after Davies and Whittaker and appeared to be not bothered about youth at all.

This year, we need to deveolp our own youth ???

Is this a new M.A. ?

Or M.A. who knows there is no money

but also knows he has a 3 YEAR CONTRACT

and a ready made excuse if we fail this year

" it takes time to develop youth players"

During MA's short stay at Sheffield he tried all sorts to get them going. It was only right at the death that he turned to youth, and enjoyed some measure of success. They enjoyed a memorable win over Leeds, for example, that effectively cost Leeds a play-off place. That was the reason quite a significant number of United fans wanted to stick with him - they thought he would make it work that way and appreciated a young team with real passion for the club.

It would seem Adams has decided to continue in that vein. Obviously motivated to go that way by the lack of money available at the Vale, which he has hinted at in interviews.

Lets just hope he has got at least one or two in the group of youngsters who will make the grade and quickly (ie this season). If not, it could be a very long season indeed!

Both goals were absolute garbage defensively.

The first one is a long hump up field and we allow it to be headed three times in our own box, virtually without challenge before allowing the goalscorer a free run into the six yard box to volley home.

The second was also poor - yes they had a guy with a long throw, but we were criminally slow reacting to the short throw, they worked it well around Loft, free cross in, free header and they had players queueing to score it.

Looking at both, they were both a little out of character for an Adams back four to concede, particularly the first one. With the lack of goals throughout the side we can't afford to be giving goals away like that.

As for the shape and balance of the side, I was brought up on Rudge football so for me, it's 4-4-2 at home, with two genuine widemen - Taylor and Haldane, or at a push Haldane/Taylor and Dodds. Away from home, I'd be tempted to go 4-5-1. Normal back four, then a middle three of Loft Griff Roberts, with Griff holding. Then two widemen to push up to support the central striker.

The squad IMHO, looks light of goals to sustain a challenge, particularly if we give sides goals like we did yesterday.

4 4 2 is brilliant

Please give us two good wingers first who can cross a ball, who can beat a man, who can create, who can score goals, who can cover defensively for the full backs.

Yes its asking a lot but two out of five will do me.

We have Haldane Taylor Dodds Rigg etc who have tried and tried for years and they are not good enough.

I don't think that Dodds will ever be a 90 minute player.He is far too lightweight for me and is often hustled off the ball too easily.This has occasionally led to the defence being caught on the back foot and a goal conceded. He is far better coming on as sub to nick a late goal as he did on Saturday.

Positives from Saturday,

We never (hardly) score from free kicks......... we did

We never (hardly) score in injury time............. we did

We played several different formations on the day and seem to have the players to do that in the squad, plus there are two or three that we havent seen yet.

What was learned from Saturday .............................play the ball on the floor and the goals will come.

Dont forget we hit the foot of the post in the second half and although they were best first half we were much improved in the second half.

My glass is defo half full.....!

Archived