onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Squad next season

Jacko51

I'm a little confused and worried about this. Norman has said he will cut the budget by £800,000, will cut the numbers to 18-20 and will cut wages by 40%. If he is cutting the current squad by about 40%, to meet his £800,000 saving, why does he need to cut wages by that much as well?

Secondly, I have heard people say we will have to rely more on loan deals next year. Does that mean we intend to have 18-20 of our own players and the rest as loans? We need 18 for a match day squad so a few injuries to our own players and we become dependent on loans. The loan rules are changing next season though and we will no longer have the "emergency loan" windows where you can bring in players for a month outside of the transfer window. So a few injuries in September and there is nothing you can do about it other than bring in young lads from the youth team to make up the bench.

If we are talking about season long loans to add to the squad of 18-20, how is that better than just have a few extra of our own players? I'm not sure I get it?

Advert

I think the solution is to not listen to Smurthwaite and wait and see what happens. In my opinion the majority of the saving will come from Neal, Inniss and O'Connor leaving and not being directly replaced by new players. I suspect you are saving £500k there (I've no idea how accurate that figure is).

I think the solution is to not listen to Smurthwaite and wait and see what happens. In my opinion the majority of the saving will come from Neal, Inniss and O'Connor leaving and not being directly replaced by new players. I suspect you are saving £500k there (I've no idea how accurate that figure is).

Dickinson would be on a fair wage as well. Say 2.5 to 3 k a week at a guess. McGivern wouldn't be cheap either say 2k per week That's upto 268k a year saving

We can do better than McGivern & Duffy, who have had a reasonable season but are not good enough to get us out of this league.

O'Connor has had a forgettable season, and given that he always seems to be doing us a favour by signing then I'd not be too bothered if he went.

I just hope we can hold on to Theo Robinson, he's going to be in demand come the summer.

My mistake - I meant on remand for stealing a living.

I'm a little confused and worried about this. Norman has said he will cut the budget by £800,000, will cut the numbers to 18-20 and will cut wages by 40%. If he is cutting the current squad by about 40%, to meet his £800,000 saving, why does he need to cut wages by that much as well?

Secondly, I have heard people say we will have to rely more on loan deals next year. Does that mean we intend to have 18-20 of our own players and the rest as loans? We need 18 for a match day squad so a few injuries to our own players and we become dependent on loans. The loan rules are changing next season though and we will no longer have the "emergency loan" windows where you can bring in players for a month outside of the transfer window. So a few injuries in September and there is nothing you can do about it other than bring in young lads from the youth team to make up the bench.

If we are talking about season long loans to add to the squad of 18-20, how is that better than just have a few extra of our own players? I'm not sure I get it?

Crewe Alex seemed to be in a similar situtation this season. Poor old Steve Davies lost his better players, had no cash to import replacements, had only inexperienced lads and could only bring in loaned players, and look what's happening to them.

I am still not convinced with the Occonnor Grant combination for me one or the other. Oh for someone like Dack in midfield ! Be amazed if the Gills can hold on to him, even though they turned down three offers for him at Christmas . We need to find more goals through out the team so a box to box midfielder for me plus a couple more defenders if we can get a striker then great.

Archived