onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

How representative is OVF?

Mikeyp

By its nature, OVF will and does attract a number (nowhere near a majority of posters though) of attention seekers, and in a few extreme cases there are a handful who are much more concerned with their OVF status and credibility than with what goes on at Port Vale.

Some are pro-Mo and others anti-change. I'm sure at least 2 or 3 people on here see themselves as leaders edited by admin.

On the other hand, the site attracts a fair number of interesting and articulate posters who put forward superb points and write very eloquent stuff which contributes a lot towards making supporting Vale a better experience. Things like the prediction league and Barry's Guess the Gate competition also do this.

Advert

As the title states, how representative do you feel OVF is of the overall vale supporter? Just wondering as Various Facebook groups seem to have markedly different stances to views on here. Not trying to create a pro/anti-board argument or anything. Genuinely interested what people's views are on this.

This question is asked from time to time and it is my view that independent websites like OVF do not - as a general rule - set out to represent other individuals or groups. Rather, they seek to establish an outreach for like-minded people to come together to share common goals - such as Rob did back in 1996.

When domiciled in Bristol he set up 'There's only one Vale fan in Bristol' to reach out to other exiled Valiants to get in touch and to organise share lifts to Vale Park. When he left Bristol, he decided to keep the 'onevalefan' part of the name.

Rob does not set out to represent, or be charged with the responsibility of acting in other people's interest according to their wishes as in a democracy. Instead, he invites us into his 'House' to share the agonies and ecstasies of all things Port Vale and to that end has put in place some T&Cs to guide our behaviour.

However, the years have passed and OVF has grown accordingly, but it is still anchored in the principle guidelines outlined above. Part of it’s story is told here

:)

I think OVF went overthe top in the runup to the EGM. It seemed to me that if you didn't agree with the OVF stance you were ridiculed and shot down for your views. I am in full support of SEO and i feel OVF made me feel a bit alienated at times. Other than that a very good place to be.

I wouldn't say tat OVF is very representative at all. I took a straw pole at the Walsall game on Saturday, and all those I spoke to were anti-SEO.

So you took a straw poll of 850 Vale fans, who are obviously not in support of SEO as they paid to watch a friendly!, and that is conclusive? I think the actual attendance should tell you something.

Are you Stepehn Plant and did you have a clipboard? :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say tat OVF is very representative at all. I took a straw pole at the Walsall game on Saturday, and all those I spoke to were anti-SEO.

no **** sherlock!

also, what does your location statement actually mean? I'm aware of the whole H block scenario but fail to see the relevance to SEO, care to elaborate?

The last time I spoke to Rob, of the 7,500 or so individual members of OVF, he reckoned about 80% were in favour of change.

This is compares favourably with NLV's poll of shareholder which was 77% and EGM which was somewhere between 75-85% in favour of change. (I have asked the club for details of the voting pattern on several ocassions but they obviously have something to hide as they have refused).

So is OVF representative of the wider supporter base?

Absolutely.

My opinion for what its worth,there is a vast majority of fans on here and outside OVF want change in the boardroom,MO lost a lot of support at the EGM,personally I still back MO even though was not happy how the EGM panned out,SEO,tricky one this,there is still good support for this but not as strong as it was,B+G lost support when they decided to go with MO and not stay neutral ....... Just my opinion .......The march on Saturday in my eyes is not a true count how many support it,you will have Crawly fans walking to the ground and ordinary fans who are just trying to get to the game..again just my opinion ..

Bobbymanc wins most ridiculous post ever award. Just brilliant!

As for how representative, then look at the only large scale surveys that have been done (rather than the "well I reckon" non survey) such as the NLV survey or the EGM. Both show fans are massively against the board. Any other "straw poll" is just nonsense and personal opinion.

My opinion for what its worth,there is a vast majority of fans on here and outside OVF want change in the boardroom,MO lost a lot of support at the EGM,personally I still back MO even though was not happy how the EGM panned out,SEO,tricky one this,there is still good support for this but not as strong as it was,B+G lost support when they decided to go with MO and not stay neutral ....... Just my opinion .......The march on Saturday in my eyes is not a true count how many support it,you will have Crawly fans walking to the ground and ordinary fans who are just trying to get to the game..again just my opinion ..

On the other hand a lot of SEO won't be at the march either as they have chosen to stay away completely. Myself included, as I've booked a holiday instead of spending my weekend getting angry.

I really can't believe you've copme out with that.

So you ask people inside the stadium, how many of you have voted never to come to this stadium again until the board are gone? What a dope!

:laugh:

Archived