onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Pope hits out at negative fans...

I was both angry and appalled to hear Tom describing the abuse that he has had to put up with. Lets get it straight Popey is one of ours and it appears that due to this fact he is getting a double helping of abuse.

It was saddening to hear him say that the moronic comments of a minority is currently affecting his love of the club. I tell you all now if he was to leave at the end of his contract as I feel is now quite likely then we wont get a replacement striker either as good or as loyal to the Black & White shirt.

Personally I blame our wonderful Chairman for this ridiculous state of affairs as it was he who who ran off to the media and implied that Tom was greedy with his contract demands. This turned a few who listened to him turning against the single most loyal player we have had since Sproey and the late Tommy Mac.

For those who believe that Tom isn't fit enough then watch him instead of the ball for a few minutes and you will see that he is running up and down like a fiddlers elbow helping out the defence (and good Lord do they need it) then charging back up front being and getting battered from behind. Then it is he who is running down to put pressure on their keeper. Add to that lot last night he was also expected to run the wide channels. Perhaps this was Tom trying too hard but if I was the boss I would tell him to calm down and just concentrate on getting on the end of some quality crosses, though sadly they are in short supply at the moment. So perhaps he should start trying to hit crosses over for himself!!

To sum up I am heartily sick of all the flak that Popey is currently getting from a noisy few on the media networks. Give the lad who after all was the 2nd highest scorer in L1 up to the time of his long injury a break. He needs a little encouragement not the whip.

I suppose my trusted 'buddies' will come back with the usual retorts but you know what I aren't listening but sadly Tom does and it obviously hurts!

To me Tom will always be one of the legends of Vale Park. The man who's 33 goals got us promoted just 2 years ago and who has scored 27 goals for us since then. I still believe if we 'feed the Pope' the lad will score and I just hope that it is for us in the future!

Stop it you're embarrassing yourself, Pope gets credit when its due and criticism when it's due. Aren't you the one who has done nothing but slag off players like Williamson and JMW in the past. Pope is paving his way for an exit so that we look like the bad guys for leaving and not him. Micky tried the exact same thing last season in the exact same way. Moaning about contracts and the fans etc, then saying he had offers and he was going to listen to them. When no one came in for him he signed a new contract and blamed the fans for making up rumours about him leaving. This is the exact same as what Pope is doing now. VALE players like Williamson get abuse on here all time and you are one of them, does he go running to the press?

Advert

I think having a Vale player (and fan) ending up as top score in the whole of England, in the top 5 of Europe and ensuring promotion back to League One means that 'legend' status could reasonably be bestowed upon them. I'd definitely put him up there over the likes of Swan and Lee Mills.

Get your head out your ****. It was league 2 not the Premiership, I am grateful for Popes efforts that promotion season just like I'm grateful to Mr Adams and players like JMW, Loft, Hughes and more importantly Chris Neal. It wasn't just Pope who got us promoted.

Firstly, this legend thing is stupid. Anyone who plays for the club for over 3 weeks weems to have it bestowed on them nowadays and the word is ridiculously over used. But...

Swan and Mills played at a higher level and were far far more consistent

Swan didn't, not for us anyway. Quite how some journey man defender deserves (this stupid) 'legend' status whilst Pope gets abuse is bewildering. Mills badmouthed us when he left and beat up his partner , so the **** can do one, as far as I'm concerned.

Firstly, this legend thing is stupid. Anyone who plays for the club for over 3 weeks weems to have it bestowed on them nowadays and the word is ridiculously over used. But...

Swan didn't, not for us anyway. Quite how some journey man defender deserves (this stupid) 'legend' status whilst Pope gets abuse is bewildering. Mills badmouthed us when he left and beat up his partner , so the **** can do one, as far as I'm concerned.

And we are still getting bad mouthed now. I wish I was getting 4 grand a week for strolling around the pitch and moaning at everyone else

Get your head out your ****. It was league 2 not the Premiership, I am grateful for Popes efforts that promotion season just like I'm grateful to Mr Adams and players like JMW, Loft, Hughes and more importantly Chris Neal. It wasn't just Pope who got us promoted.

What a bizarre nonsensical post! :laugh: :looney:

You're setting up a false opposition there, I think. Never have I said that Pope was solely responsible for getting us promoted and I also think the other players and staff deserve their share of the credit. Nowhere have I said anything to contradict that. However, I do think that particulalrly for that season, Tom Pope, Football League 2 Player of the year, top scorer in England, deserves his place in that category reserved for 'special' players. Yeah, it was in a lower league, so ****ing what?

What a bizarre nonsensical post! :laugh: :looney:

You're setting up a false opposition there, I think. Never have I said that Pope was solely responsible for getting us promoted and I also think the other players and staff deserve their share of the credit. Nowhere have I said anything to contradict that. However, I do think that particulalrly for that season, Tom Pope, Football League 2 Player of the year, top scorer in England, deserves his place in that category reserved for 'special' players. Yeah, it was in a lower league, so ****ing what?

So that don't make him a legend it's not ridiculous is it? One great season and people use the word legend, some idiot even suggested a statue.

And we are still getting bad mouthed now. I wish I was getting 4 grand a week for strolling around the pitch and moaning at everyone else

Can you not see the difference between someone saying words to the effect of "3 years at Port Vale is enough for anybody" and a person speaking out against the personal abuse he's received via PMs on social media? Or are you really *** ***** ***** that you come across as in other threads?

I think a lot of Vale fans are seriously in danger of getting the club (and players/ chairman) that they deserve.

So that don't make him a legend it's not ridiculous is it? One great season and people use the word legend, some idiot even suggested a statue.

Tom Pope's scoring exploits in our promotion season will be remembered a great many people for years to come. Perhaps unfairly, far more than any other player of that season or the few seasons preceding it. And definitely more fondly than your idea of a legend, Peter Swan.

Tom Pope's scoring exploits in our promotion season will be remembered a great many people for years to come. Perhaps unfairly, far more than any other player of that season or the few seasons preceding it. And definitely more fondly than your idea of a legend, Peter Swan.

What a bizarre nonsensical post.

I have never once mentioned Peter Swann.

They will be remembered yes but not to legend status.

Do you seriously think that Tom Pope should get a statue ahead of the likes Robbie Earle and Andy Jones??

Come on mate Tom Pope has scored 50 summit odd goals for Vale of course he deserves a statue. Lionel Messi on the other hand has over 300 goals for Barcelona and he has no statue.

Archived