onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Defensive roster

Gazleese

Duffy - Slow, terrible on the ball, dithers when he should get on with it, rushes when he should take his time. Seems to be on the ball more than any other player in team for some frustrating reason. In my opinion if you’re not 6ft 2 or above, and your playing centre half, you need to be really good. He isn’t. Plays like he's wearing a pair of Doc Martins.

McGivern - Slow (almost comically slow tbh) too small to be a centre half In my opinion as he doesn’t have the quality to make up for it in other areas. Couldn't beat Warwick Davis in the air. Can’t see why people on here rate him. In truth, it’s probably because the rest of our defence is so bad it creates the false perception that he's half decent. (and I think, deep down, the people who do rate him know this as well!) His reviews from his former clubs fans were, without exception from anything I’ve read, abysmal it seems for a reason and the fact that the last two clubs he played for have been relegated tells its own story for me. Currently having a good crack at the hat trick!

Robertson - Slow. Currently underneath Page's patio, and when he does play we seem let in 3 or 4 EVERY time, so he can stay there for me!. Can’t pass a ball 5 yards. Constantly creating mix ups and confusion between his goalkeeper and his defensive partners. Seems petrified and massively lacks confidence every time he plays. Also I think he’s a really poor communicator as he never seems to say a word during a match which isn’t a good trait in a centre half! Moderate threat from set pieces.

Yates - Slow. So slow infact that has no option but back away, back away, then back away some more from wingers through fear of getting completely done for pace. Usually stops the cross coming in but almost always at the expense of a corner, which in a way, kind of defeats the object of stopping the initial cross in the first place for me! Yes you can re-group for the corner, but your box ends up packed with the opposition’s tallest and best players in air. Never known a player concede so many corners in my life, which then invites a separate wave of pressure when we don't have a lot of aerial presence in our own box currently. Got a half decent cross on him.

Veseli - At right back, from what I’ve seen (every game he’s played apart from Oldham) he's dreadful. Simple as that really. Although I'd be more than willing to see him in his supposed preferred position of centre back, if for no other reason than because everyone else is so bad (not sure that’s the best selection policy for choosing your centre halfs, but that’s where we seem to be at the moment!) Can’t really split him and Yates at the moment and these people arguing the toss over the pair on here are missing the point as they’re both poor in my eyes!

Dickinson - Headless chicken. Woeful touch. Can’t seem to handle being captain as his performances have deteriorated drastically this season (and they weren't much cop last season either in truth). Should have been dropped weeks ago but the fact he is captain means he stays in. Now well and truly maxed out on his passion and effort card.

Streete - Never seen him play, but If he cant get a game in front of the above shower, he isn’t going to have much of a career in that game that’s for sure! I can only conclude that either he’s not very good, or Page doesn’t have the stones/authority to drop any of the above for a teenage loanee. Not sure why he was brought here.

Greenidge - See Streete.

Smith - See Greenidge and Streete except he's not a loanee.

Zubar - Looked OK in the Yeovil game, but lets face it, so could a traffic cone that day! Now suspended for 3 games of his loan spell almost mean we might as well send him back now.

I personally think we are really going to struggle to stay up with the current defensive options. As a collective unit, any combination of the above haven’t even come close to threatening a clean sheet yet, let alone actually keeping one! This is then putting pressure on the mid/att to score 3 or 4 every game to get anything which is a tough ask.

Advert

No he is saying the current crop of defenders are not good enough.

I agree! Streete has got to play the next game. Why can we not mix it up, think it will get worse? Concede more than 2 a game?

Ill get behind anyone who plays and hope are current form turns, but i think we should start to offload the likes of Vaselli and Robbo and recruit a first choice centre half. In an ideal world Duffy and McGivern would be back up!

I think the problem with the defense is a collective one. I think to lambast them all as individuals is wrong. They have all had good games(McGivern at Donny was excellent for example), Duffy at times too. However one at least always seems to have an off day or drop a ******* every game. They are lower league players after all.

It all comes back to missing a trick in the summer, we needed a big bossing CB and didn't get one!

Gave up reading after your analysis of duffy. You dont know what your on about

Why do some love Duffy on here? He's part of one of our worst ever defences! Mcgivern looks a decent player to me but Duffy no matter who he plays with seems to fail to keep a clean sheet. It may not be his fault but he certainly isn't as good as some make out. Should be dropped along with Williamson, Dickinson, Yates and dodds for the game on Saturday!

I think the problem with the defense is a collective one. I think to lambast them all as individuals is wrong. They have all had good games(McGivern at Donny was excellent for example), Duffy at times too. However one at least always seems to have an off day or drop a ******* every game. They are lower league players after all.

It all comes back to missing a trick in the summer, we needed a big bossing CB and didn't get one!

Agreed it was glaring obvious. With regards to McGivern, maybe he did have a good game against Doncaster (that game seems to be the reference for everything for some reason! It was a one off, an exeception rather than the rule and it was months ago . We need to move on) But one good game out of 10 isn't a good enough ratio for me.

It is the defense mainly but what cover do they get from midfield....

I originally thought that but am not sure now. Last night it was balls into the box from out wide which a) we didn't cut out at source and b) never looked liked winning the ball when it came in.

These issues lay at the back fours feet and not the protection which I think O'Connor in particular does offer.

Archived