onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

HERO D-Day Vetran

Robbie Earle's Perm

I'm obviously opposed to such views and religious schools in general, however their influence is so small in comparison it's just ridiculous to talk of it in the same light as killing 6 million people and invading numerous countries..

The rise of Nazism whilst in many ways rooted deep in the history of Germany some 200 years beforehand, began many believe in earnest with the volkisch movement; a very small beginning that ultimately led to "killing 6 million people and invading numerous countries"...it was allowed to flourish unchecked (partly cos of conditions between the wars in Germany) allowing its influence to grow and grow.

Let extreme views go unchecked and they become the norm..but they have to start somewhere

Advert

The figure of 6,000,000 may be a little off....

Victims Killed

Slavs 10.547 million

Jews 5.9 million

Soviet POWs 2–3 million

Ethnic Poles 1.8–2 million

Romani 220,000–1,500,000

Disabled 200,000–250,000

Freemasons 80,000–200,000

Slovenes 20,000–25,000

Homosexuals 5,000–15,000

Jehovah's

Witnesses 2,500–5,000

Spanish Republicans 7000

I agree with you, religion shouldn't influence the education system..

I think all kids should be taught about religions; they are a very important part of this world and history. As well as being taught alternative views to religion, such as how science contradicts/disproves much religious teaching

Equally if parents want their child to be educated in a religious context they should have the right to that, it's for parents to decide what they want for their children as far as religion is concerned. However it should nto be forced on any children against parents wishes.

I believe (a large part of ) the issue with this 'trojan horse' is that these are not faith schools but appear to have been following what I'll call an Islamic agenda to the detriment of the non-muslim pupils and indeed some of the muslim pupils (plus staff and some parents), an agenda which also goes against some of the education principles in this country.

It's a tremendously complex situation when a school is 99% of one faith and the parents want that faith taught and the school run in the context of that faith's teachings.

I think all kids should be taught about religions; they are a very important part of this world and history. As well as being taught alternative views to religion, such as how science contradicts/disproves much religious teaching

Equally if parents want their child to be educated in a religious context they should have the right to that, it's for parents to decide what they want for their children as far as religion is concerned. However it should nto be forced on any children against parents wishes.

I believe (a large part of ) the issue with this 'trojan horse' is that these are not faith schools but appear to have been following what I'll call an Islamic agenda to the detriment of the non-muslim pupils and indeed some of the muslim pupils (plus staff and some parents), an agenda which also goes against some of the education principles in this country.

It's a tremendously complex situation when a school is 99% of one faith and the parents want that faith taught and the school run in the context of that faith's teachings.

The comment from Andyregs was "religion shouldn't influence the education system" which I agree with as I took this to mean eg. segregation of boys and girls or other religious influenced practices. I have no issue with a course/classes on all/most religions to include a balanced treatise on Darwinism/evolution because as you say, its a very important part of this world and history.

The comment from Andyregs was "religion shouldn't influence the education system" which I agree with as I took this to mean eg. segregation of boys and girls or other religious influenced practices.

And I totally agree with you and him on that although if parents want a school that operates in a religious context then that should be possible but where that religion believes in segregation etc it becomes much more difficult. No school must go against the fundamental principles of fairness and equality regarding gender etc that are inherant to our education system. There have to be limits

If they aren't happy with this then they should have their children educated in a country that agrees with them regarding segregation etc.

I have no issue with a course/classes on all/most religions to include a balanced treatise on Darwinism/evolution because as you say, its a very important part of this world and history.

Agreed again..what's going on ? ;)

Archived