onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Insult to John Baskeyfield VC (WW2)

melv

Advert

Such a shame.I became good friends with a relative of his who went through the war with my father. He died two years ago at 92 and was very proud of his relation who did more than his duty for his Country. It was the teachers who failed the school and this looks to me like it is the easiest way to hide their failure.

I get the reason but it would IMO be good if something else is put in place to commemorate his achievements and heroics..maybe some sort of memorial on the site to remind the pupils of the horrors and heroics of war and a real hero rather than the ones they are encouraged to look up to today (footballers, pop stars, reality stars). The pupils could be encouraged to look after this memorial

It would have a financial cost but is an opportunity to use this to achieve something positive and educational..I am sure the local community could raise the money in conjucntion with other organisations

Such a shame.I became good friends with a relative of his who went through the war with my father. He died two years ago at 92 and was very proud of his relation who did more than his duty for his Country. It was the teachers who failed the school and this looks to me like it is the easiest way to hide their failure.

I have over the years talked with many veterans of WWII as my dad (who was just too young to join up) lost two brothers and felt that by he (and me) talking to veterans he'd understand a little of what his brother went through..we'd talk to veterans in all sort of situations..pub, memorial days, even some he was in hospital with during his last days and so on

It was a real education which put the priorities in life into perspective; it wasn't all about sadness and loss and conflict but about comradeship, bravery, humanity, forgiveness etc..so many positive things. Children should be taught more about that side of war to help to learn what being a human being is really all about whilst not of course ignoring the horrors.

I get the reason but it would IMO be good if something else is put in place to commemorate his achievements and heroics..maybe some sort of memorial on the site to remind the pupils of the horrors and heroics of war and a real hero rather than the ones they are encouraged to look up to today (footballers, pop stars, reality stars). The pupils could be encouraged to look after this memorial

It would have a financial cost but is an opportunity to use this to achieve something positive and educational..I am sure the local community could raise the money in conjucntion with other organisations

You are right, it's an understandable reason.

To be honest they should have had the foresight to announce there was the intention to comnemorate him in some other way, such as a statue or memorial in Burslem somewhere.

Archived