onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Gillingham 3 Port Vale 2, Post match chat

Fosse69

Advert

Guest TommyMac

Pope is too static and easy to mark. He doesn't (or can't) spin off his man to create space for the midfield to pick a pass.

It's blatantly obvious we can't defend as a team but with the correct players on the pitch we can attack as a team. I think it's time Micky started picking a team that will give the opponents a headache but that will mean ditching the 'hoofball'. Players like Lines, Loft, and it would appear, Knott can hurt teams with their passing but they need forwards to make runs and to create themselves space. Time to leave Pope out and persevere with Hugill and Williamson.

I thought you were agreeing with people! ;)

He's our best centre back, possibly Duffy aside. He is a must keep until we rid ourselves of the deadwood.

They have proven this season there is a nucleous of a good squad.

That probably explains why we need to score 3 or more away from home to get anything.

I thought you were agreeing with people! ;)

He's our best centre back,

Are you serious ? His decision making is slower than McDonald's speed off the mark. Truly appalling. We should have signed a centre back as a priority in January, you can always build from the back but you rarely get a second chance after letting 3 in, which is happening way too often.Mind you how many goals would we saved in the last 2 games by just having a man on the post?

I'm sorry but what does the lad have to do to get a start??? Ben scores the odd 1 once in a blue moon and gets a start, despite not scoring for god knows how long Pope gets picked every week. Tomlin was 4 in 4 games prior to his injury just before the Brighton game.

Hugo has to start, it's not like his scoring from scraps like most, he's making his own chances - if hes ready, he should be starting! If he was 16-17 yrs old then maybe.... But at 20 Ish he big enough and old enough to start!

In fairness Pope brings much more than goals. How many important defensive headers and clearances do you see Williamson making? Most of the time Pope attracts the attention of two defenders which frees up space for others.

Are you serious ? His decision making is slower than McDonald's speed off the mark. Truly appalling. We should have signed a centre back as a priority in January, you can always build from the back but you rarely get a second chance after letting 3 in, which is happening way too often.Mind you how many goals would we saved in the last 2 games by just having a man on the post?

Here we go again! :doh:

The issue we are overlooking here is the team selection. What is Adams doing? Dodds is league 2. Jones? what? Best players were on the bench in terms of a strikeforce. WE NEED A DEFENCE THAT CAN DEFEND!!

I don't undrstand the incesant need to slate the manager after defeats or indeed players for that matter especially as we are exceeding everyones expectations this season.

I don't rate Dodds but some other fans and Micky do, Jones is a first choice left back when Dickinson is not available. Most people have been defending Pope recently despite his lack of goals citing the other stuff he does. I would personally be looking to give Hughill and Tomlin a run together. JMW is constantly slated for whatever reason so there was no bizarre selections though personally I wouldn't have started Dodds.

Defence is awful - in the summer this has to be the priority (once we have a manager and Loft, Lines, Dickinson, Hugill tied up)

I'd get rid of Davis, Robertson, Jones, Taylor, Chilvers (Grimmer will have gone)....not sure on Yates and Duffy.

I wouldn't get rid of Davies. Today aside, he's been our best defender recently. If Jones can improve his fitness he can be useful too. I'd definately keep Duffy as - as a centre half - he looks good. I'd rather get rid of Robertson and get 2 big centre halves in that can play alongside either the more technical Duffy/Davis.

Taylor has shown what he's got when he's played but I'm not too sure if this is enough for another contract. Agree with Chilvers though, as well as the need to tie up your aforementioned players.

I don't disagree particularly with Duffy injured or a decent right back to enable us to play Grimmer there alongside Robertson.

Whats the difference between people saying Pope does score more than score goals and Robertson does more than stop them ;)

Couldn't go today but it sounded like it followed a familiar script (Preston away, Swindon away, even MK Dons away).

Vale go three down and with nothing to lose, start playing a bit and manage to either stop the rot or keep it respectable.

We'll stick with what we've got and I can see us being comfortably mid-table, but in the summer Adams or whoever the new manager is will have to address the issue of the back four because the amount of soft goals we concede is a huge problem.

Pope is not the reason we conceded 3 goals!!!!!!!????????

I rate Hugill and am happy to see him whenever he plays - I feel we are handling him right by bringing him on. I just think we maybe bring him on too late.

He seems an impact player to me whilst we're bedding him in.

He is hungry, in form, and most of all he's grasping the opportunity with both hands. What more can he do? Age does not mean anything imo now is the time to utilise his raw talent

He is hungry, in form, and most of all he's grasping the opportunity with both hands. What more can he do? Age does not mean anything imo now is the time to utilise his raw talent

Its not his age, more his inexperience.

I wish I didn't feel that we have to be cautious. He turns games when he comes on.

I didn't go today so can't really comment on the match. With regards to the Hugill debate. I think he is being handled correctly. Starting him every week and putting a huge weight on his shoulders could also have a negative effect. Let him develop naturally and we'll have a quality player on out hands.

Hugill is coming to a point where he will need starts in order to learn his trade as a target man in games where the pattern of play is more normal. It's a different mentality to come on when we're three down with nothing to lose and things are a bit stretched towards the end.

Sounded eerily like Preston.

Decent first half, concede just before half time. 5 minutes of madness ruin the game, before a fightback in the last 10 minutes gets everyone's hopes up.

I know opinions are good things. But if you hold the opinion that Pope should continue the start then you are wrong.

0 in 8 in the league. 1 in 9, that being against Plymouth. No league goals since 14th December.

Hugill scored again today. That's 4, and I think he's started twice.

Please save 'he works hard, goddammit' or 'no service'.

Hugill seems to be doing alright with his 10 minutes a week.

Drop him. Play Hugill

Archived