onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tideswell

Mr Carter

look guys! Im very big mates with 'Tideswell' and you are being very harsh towards him and have been all season. In his column this week he spoke about Micky's return and how its a good thing (which it is) but then goes on to say that the board have to deliver investment or go so why slate him for talking about Micky when he also mentioned the Board. You really can't win with you lot, what do you want? Alls you have done alll season is slate the guy! Most of you haven't even met him and your already presuming he's a bad guy because he's not done a column that you like. Get a life and focus on getting the board out, supporting the team and NOT slating Martin. he's done nothing wrong exept put his views across all season about the ongoings at the club!

But he changes his opinion from week to week! One week, the Board are great, then they should be got rid of the next week, now they don't matter.

Will the real Martin Tideswell please stand up...please stand up...please stand up...?

Advert

But he changes his opinion from week to week! One week, the Board are great, then they should be got rid of the next week, now they don't matter.

Will the real Martin Tideswell please stand up...please stand up...please stand up...?

Thats my opinion he blows hot & cold. I feel he is not a fan of the board in general but likes to suck up to Bratty. Sorry Martin but Bratt is as bad as the rest of them.

Season ticket sales will creep back up now MA is back, football fans are fickle![/quote

I agree. Season tickets will creep up. You do realize that means a slow upward movement. They wont surge up! Some football fans are fickle. Most have principles and like myself have invested a lot of time and effort to get rid of this virus. I think that you underestimate the strength of feeling and backbone that the majority of us have.

My honest opinion is this:-

This club has been in decline since 2002, we have plummeted to real depths of despair in the last x3 years culminating in the most emotionally distressing season (for fans - not players I add) probably ever.

MA was a breath of fresh air when he came in, he instilled discipline and fitness. I appreciate that, I respect Micky.

He left us, he had his reasons granted but he failed as miserably at Sheffield as Gannon did here.

Without the Vale 'olive-branch' and desperation of the Vale directors he along with Gannon may just have found it difficult to find immediate employment back in the game.

The harsh facts of the current playing staff are this:-

i) We have x2 excellent keepers

ii) We have Yates, McCombe and Owen who are decent defenders

iii) Loft and Grif are decent midfielders at this level

iv) Marc Richards is our main striker

This means essentially we lack creative players, attack minded players who are direct and pose a threat and have a shortfall of 25-30 goals.

The defence was strong under MA for the first 18 games. What I think would have happened is that we would have been 'found-out' anyway under MA, resulting in more teams attacking us particularly at Vale Park, they would have perceived our lack of threat. Would the board have funded the x3 players MA would have wanted? - I doubt it, this would have resulted in MA losing faith etc, etc

In summary without investment, ideally from a new board, we will again be facing an uphill battle, like Sage said earlier, Micky is not a miracle worker.

MA is the best manager we can hope for and I'm proud he wants to manage our club.

But please for heavens sake, please see the bigger picture, forget Gannon, look at our players, they let us down, they had more than enough opportunity under Grewy to make the play-offs at least - we didn't.

Don't forget what Grewy said about the playing staff.

We need to unify, stand up for what afterall is OUR club, remove this board and start again. It can't be worse than the last x3 years can it?

And before anyone says it can, I guess yes we could lose league status.

TBH the form of the last x26 games would have ensured that, Sinnott and Glover nearly took us there. Chasetown belittled us.

We have an opportunity, lets take a chance...

some of you have short memories of what he achieved in his time here

What exactly did he achieved? A finish of 10th and then abandoning the club halfway through a season, at the end of his which the side he had put together finished 11th.

Forgive me for having a different opinion, but what exactly was the achievement there?

Obviously MT has the right to an opinion but I believe that he has exploited the fact that he has a weekly column which is seen to be some sort of benchmark of the "average" Vale fan.

He buys a ST, so what?

To say that there was a buzz about the place seems laughable and I would ask to him to perhaps, with Bill's help, define that comment a little more.

What exactly did he achieved? A finish of 10th and then abandoning the club halfway through a season, at the end of his which the side he had put together finished 11th.

Forgive me for having a different opinion, but what exactly was the achievement there?

Only an achievement compared to the Sinnott/Glover league positions and performance, he also gave us hope, whether he will again I do not know. The biggest factor of all will be the budget, which the board will struggle with. I also think the league will be tougher this season. With MA I am confident we will finish half way, unless there is an injection of capital. Nor do I think a junket in the USA will help fitness and team assembly during the hoped for change of board. At least MA knows the player strengths and weaknesses.

Archived