onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Farcical?

For Us All

Advert

You're a criminal if you drive. I've got 9 points, been driving for 25 years, never had an accident and do over 30k per year. It's a further tax to motorists. I'm not advocating speeding but who doesn't? And you don't see speed cameras outside schools etc, always in places to catch out motorists. A law needs to be in place but the current system is not entirely correct. IMO.

From the article

"The fact the law allows magistrates the discretion not to disqualify in certain circumstances ensures the court can deal with each individual case on its merits, which is an essential element of the justice system."

Totally agree..but that doesn't mean they apply this discretion fairly/correctly

should be banned regardless, the rules are there for a reason... if you risk loosing yours or others jobs you should think about that before you commit the crime

no wonder why people laugh at this country the system is shocking bet this kind of thing doesnt happen in the states

should be banned regardless, the rules are there for a reason... if you risk loosing yours or others jobs you should think about that before you commit the crime

no wonder why people laugh at this country the system is shocking bet this kind of thing doesnt happen in the states

Therefor does the punishment fit the crime?

Someone loses their job, home and every chance of getting another job. That is a far worse punishment than most much more serious crimes.

You really think this is a fair system?

All European and probably world wide work off a very different system.

Someone loses their job, home and every chance of getting another job. That is a far worse punishment than most much more serious crimes.

understand that but people should think before they break the law, what happens when they crash into another car or somebody walking past

They might lose their job if it involves driving or they rely on driving to get to work but they should have thought about that when they chose to break the law (probably/possibly) repeatedly. It's unlikely someone would be sacked cos they'd reached 12 penalty points unless driving was essential to their job..different if it's a drink driving offence of course

understand that but people should think before they break the law, what happens when they crash into another car or somebody walking past

Agree but that is a different matter. 12 points over 3 years for speeding and then a ban is mot the same as causing an accident through reckless driving or under the influence. Courts should look at the whole scenario and in most cases they do but at the end of the day it all comes down to a further tax on motorists.

I do agree in this case, I used to do over 70k miles in a year, possibly the amount of miles you drive in a year should be taken into account also and always had at least 3 points on my licence, I'm noot going to run down ways you can be caught as we can always see the spped limit.

My job's key role was driving all over the UK and I doubt whether the others on the board would have sanctioned a personal driver for me had I been banned so therefore I would have lost my livelihood and possibly my family so no the punishment doesn't fit the crime when others can for example kill people behind the wheel, serve a short sentence and then resume their careers.

Speed limit increases on the motorway specifically need to be looked at and raised and as for those rediculous speed check areas on motorways where you can be dropped to between 40-50mph don't get me started, got caught by them twice when there was absolutely no need for them.

The system is there to get at the average motorist. I was out one night about 7 years ago, I had had a few beers and I parked my car (before the night) on a public carpark, at the end of the night we ordered a taxi but as it was raining sat in my car with the heaters on (and so the engine). The taxi came as I got out of my car and went towards the taxi I a police car that was also on the carpark put his lights on breathalysed me and I got a 12 month ban.

Ok fair enough you may say, I was in effect drunk in charge of a vehicle.

The worst thing was whilst waiting outside Fenton magistrate court a Londoner was there with his lawyer, we got alking, he agreed my situation was a little harsh ten advised he was court on the M6 doing 115mph ion his Porsche. Laughing saying if they court me 15 mins earlier I was at 135. He went in first, came out all smiles and got a £250 fine and 3 points....mitigating circumstances apparently..

I got my 12 month ban with a 350 fine plus costs. even though I had the CCTV to prove I was just sat in the car and then got out again when the taxi arrived.

Archived