onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Sports Science

Smallthorne clampet

Advert

On 13/12/2023 at 17:08, gavcradd said:

Sports Science is great data to have at a manager's fingertips. However, it feels like we're prioritising it as the first, second and third most important bit of information. If the data analysts suggests a player has run his race and needs to be subbed, how often are we actually subbing him? I'd reckon its not far off every single time. That's not on, I want a manager to use his eyes and his nous.

Take last night. I've no doubt the data said that Arblaster and Devine had to come off. But doing that lost us the game. If AC is happy to live by the laptop, he has to accept being sacked when it goes wrong. 

I feel like we've lost track of the main point of football (winning games) and are instead concentrating on fitness metrics, pass completion, etc. It's not Champo Manager.

I totally agree with this!

The problem for is exactly what you say: we seem to be using it as an exact science, which it absolutely isn't, and let it 100% dictate every decision made during a match.

Only problem is, that football isn't science, it's dynamic and changes constantly during the cause of a game. So when the science says "he can play 60 minutes", that is absolutely not an exact number. No way, no how! That is an estimate, nothing more nothing less.

I have absolutely no problem with us using it, but we need to stop relying on it as an exact science and using it as gospel yesterday!

Unless it's an easy way out for DC to use it as an excuse. "If it was up to me then, but the science said, so...". It's become the excuse for every decision made, and it's beginning to become pathetic!

From a post on FB:

These science/medical guys seem to know the signs of when a player is at risk of being injured and yet we seem to get one injury after another. I presume Uche was injured on Tuesday despite being on the bench and we can now add Massey, Alblaster and Devine to that list from the game. Conlon, Wilson, Jones, Cass, Clark, Plant and Thomas are also out while Iacovitti, Balmer and Grant are being nursed back gradually into action. Something somewhere does not add up. That’s 14 players not capable of playing a full game.

44 minutes ago, Osh said:

From a post on FB:

These science/medical guys seem to know the signs of when a player is at risk of being injured and yet we seem to get one injury after another. I presume Uche was injured on Tuesday despite being on the bench and we can now add Massey, Alblaster and Devine to that list from the game. Conlon, Wilson, Jones, Cass, Clark, Plant and Thomas are also out while Iacovitti, Balmer and Grant are being nursed back gradually into action. Something somewhere does not add up. That’s 14 players not capable of playing a full game.

yeh this sports science is a joke fad, itll be back to st johns lads next season and lols magic sponge!!!!!!!!!!:drink: