onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Biggest Brazilian Clubs in the opinion of an Englishman

jospvfc

Hello
I'm José, a Brazilian fan of Port Vale

I am curious to know which Brazilian clubs the English have heard the most about and think they are the greatest teams in my country

Here in Brazil, my club is Coritiba FC, I already bought all the season tickets and I follow the games at the stadium, but it is an average club, which has won the Brazilian League only once in 1985

Advert

Santos, Pele spent his career there.

Corinthians, historic club.

Botafogo, Flamengo, Fluminense, Palmeiras, Sao Paulo and Vasco da Gama are I assume big clubs though I couldn't tell you anything about them.

1 hour ago, jospvfc said:
Hello
I'm José, a Brazilian fan of Port Vale

I am curious to know which Brazilian clubs the English have heard the most about and think they are the greatest teams in my country

Here in Brazil, my club is Coritiba FC, I already bought all the season tickets and I follow the games at the stadium, but it is an average club, which has won the Brazilian League only once in 1985

Have to admit I’ve never heard of Cortiba FC, but if they’ve won the Brazilian League once then that’s more than many clubs will do, right?

Botafogo are my first choice, they play in black and white. Some years back I spent a short time working in Rio and went to watch Flamengo v Botafogo at the Maracana stadium. I remember at the time coming back with a couple of Botafogo tops for my sons. I have to confess I haven't really followed them that closely since but I do remember joining in the chanting of BOT-A-FOGO at the time. Unfortunately they lost when I went to watch them.

It's great to see we have Vale fans as far away as Brazil.

Santos FC because of the Pele connection but I remember names like Fluminese, Vasco de Game, Corinthians and Flamengo. There was a weekly soccer magazine in England called "Goal" first published in the late 60's and they used to do features on South American and European players/clubs/leagues etc so it was probably from there.

Santos toured England in the 1969/70 season and played Stoke City in a "Friendly" at the old Victoria ground, they won 3-2. I went and remember Pele scored with a low, hard shot from outside the area.

Brazil have produced some amazing footballers over the years, besides Pele, Garrincha, Gerson, Carlos Alberto, jairziho, Clodoaldo, Tostao, Rivelino and Socrates etc etc.

IMHO Gordon banks save from Pele in the 1970  world cup is the most incredible piece of sporting action I've ever seen, everything about it is breath taking.

Archived