onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

OVF feature: Seventeen failures: Port Vale’s desperate record in the loan market from 2017-19

News Feed

Rekeil Pyke

It is noticeable that current manager John Askey has been both highly selective and successful with his loan signings. Last season he made just two but they were both (Jake Taylor and Mitch Clark) a success. Askey clearly opts for quality over quantity – sadly this wasn’t the case for his predecessors. In this article […]

The post Seventeen failures: Port Vale’s desperate record in the loan market from 2017-19 appeared first on onevalefan.co.uk.

Advert

Thanks. Really good article. Obviously you can only go back so far but Rob Page also had some howlers , Harry Panayatou springs to mind.

Think I agree with all the analysis the one I'm waivering on is Roos. Felt after a sticky start he was just beginning to impress and got injured. Eventually forced his way into the Derby team. 

But you are probably right Failure purely because of game time. 

Loans are very hit and miss , Gannon often rated as one of the worst Vale managers ever signed Jay O'Shea and Romaine Sawyers on loan. 

I often wonder if the manager has seen these players actually play ?

A bloke in one of my several locals used to be involved with Vale’s junior sides, so had some idea what goes on behind the scenes.

He told me that the manager would put out the word about the type of player he wanted and agents would then offer players by the bucket load who they thought fitted the bill. A lot more often than not the manager did not know the players offered to him, or at least had not seen them perform.

If this is how players are signed nowadays, it’s little wonder that the majority are “misses” as opposed to “hits”.

Can’t imagine that Rudge would have operated like that somehow.

It's also difficult for young, unproven loan players when they join a struggling club, low on confidence, and are in and out of the team. I often think the same about youngsters coming through. If we can give them time and patience and blood them slowly then it's easier and better for them than throwing them in at the deep end and expecting miracles.

It does show you, though, that if you can uncover 1-2 good loan players it can make a huge difference. 

And haven't we all said for years that ideally we need quality not quantity. We need a loan player to go straight into the starting XI and make a difference.

Tyler Walker was one of the more frustrating players from the list above. Shame he got injured as I think we would have escaped had he played more games.

3 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Loans are very hit and miss , Gannon often rated as one of the worst Vale managers ever signed Jay O'Shea and Romaine Sawyers on loan. 

Gannon is a fascinating one as he also brought in Tom Pope who (tweets aside) has been cracking over a number of years. He also, as you say, brought in O'Shea and Sawyers.  He only brought in six players so that's a 50% success ratio. So, he clearly had an eye for a player but lots of other factors meant his reign was a disaster.

4 hours ago, robf said:

Gannon is a fascinating one as he also brought in Tom Pope who (tweets aside) has been cracking over a number of years. He also, as you say, brought in O'Shea and Sawyers.  He only brought in six players so that's a 50% success ratio. So, he clearly had an eye for a player but lots of other factors meant his reign was a disaster.

And yet Sawyers has just got promoted to the prem as a regular in the wba team.

Interesting Rob thank you. Had to rack my brain a bit to remember a lot of them. Under the previous regime it was a bit hard to work out who was actually doing the signings and on what basis. At least now it is clear that Askey calls the shots on recruitment. As it should be.

Particularly pleased you had Harness down as a success. He wasn't popular with a lot. But I thought he was pretty good. Just lacked a bit of composure with the final ball and in front of goal.

Always put in a shift and played with a smile on his face. Delighted for him that he has pushed on with Portsmouth.

Archived