onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

It may be loathed but is the Checkatrade Trophy benefiting Port Vale?

News Feed

Is the much maligned Checkatrade Trophy helping Neil Aspin’s side this season? This website has made its opposition to the introduction of B sides to the Checkatrade Trophy very clear. But let’s be certain – prior to that we welcomed the Football League Trophy (as it was then called) as a chance for lower league […]

The post It may be loathed but is the Checkatrade Trophy benefiting Port Vale? appeared first on onevalefan.co.uk.

Click for full article

--

This is an automated feed from:

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk

View our home page for our latest features

--

Advert

I don’t think that people have a problem with the competition itself, just the way it is now organised.

The “B” teams situation is well documented and needs little further comment. But for me, the re-introduced group stages is as big a problem.

This idea was ditched decades ago because these were pointless matches. Only die hard supporters attended. Yet it is re-introduced purely to give “B” teams a minimum of three games.

Does it benefit Vale ? Any financial income is to be welcomed, but I don’t see that it helps fringe players development. Quigley for example scores, but will he play Saturday ? No !

Aspin is not going to be swayed by one performance against an equally under strength opposition.

If the competition is to regain former glories, managers need to treat it as a “proper” competition and field first choice teams.

If anyone reads my posts they will know that Horton was not my favourite manager by any stretch of the imagination. However, in the 2000/01 campaign he consistently fielded a first choice X1 and guess what ? We won the damn thing ! I will always give him credit for that.

In my opinion it is a worthwhile competition, but only if it is taken seriously. If not, just scrap it. Along with the League & FA Cups, which are both now equally flawed.

I don’t see that it helps fringe players development. Quigley for example scores, but will he play Saturday ? No ! Aspin is not going to be swayed by one performance against an equally under strength opposition.

I don't agree with that. Vassell, as another example did play his first 90 mins in the CT and did get straight into the first-team. Miller has earned a recall after a goal in the Checkatrade.

And my point isn't really that one performance equals a recall (though it occasionally does) - it's two things:

1. We have match fit deputies in place (We've needed to bring in Joyce for Manny for example)

2. We also have the likes of Quigley pushing so while he may not play surely the fact he scored will be noted by the likes of Whitfield, Miller etc and make sure they are top of their game so as not to lose their place.

If the competition is to regain former glories, managers need to treat it as a “proper” competition and field first choice teams.

I don't agree with that either. The players who are rested tend to be Pope, Conlon, Legge etc. All of these have clearly had injury problems before and by resting them it not only clearly gives them a break but gives the management the chance to see other options if they do get injured etc. If you always play your first team you also run the risk of damaging the fitness of that trio too.

I agree with Rob. For fringe players this has been a good opportunity to play at a level higher than reserve but not quite first team. Quigley has shown he is pushing hard for a place but i agree with RR he will not start on Saturday but may feature. Games in this competitipn also give the manager a chance to check attitude and motivation. Theo Vassell has clearly stepped up to the mark. A word about Anthony Kay who has slipped down the pecking order but his vocal encouragement shows his attitude remains excellent. Sam Hornby has demonstrated to all that we have a really good keeper on the bench if needed. James Gibbons continues to show good attitude. As Rob says it also gives all of our bench some good game time.

I agree with Rob. For fringe players this has been a good opportunity to play at a level higher than reserve but not quite first team. Quigley has shown he is pushing hard for a place but i agree with RR he will not start on Saturday but may feature. Games in this competitipn also give the manager a chance to check attitude and motivation. Theo Vassell has clearly stepped up to the mark. A word about Anthony Kay who has slipped down the pecking order but his vocal encouragement shows his attitude remains excellent. Sam Hornby has demonstrated to all that we have a really good keeper on the bench if needed. James Gibbons continues to show good attitude. As Rob says it also gives all of our bench some good game time.

There just aren't enough reserve games to keep players ticking over IMO, 2 a month I think. The extra games in the Checkatrade have been ideal for the players mentioned above.

So we just treat this tournament as a run out for fringe players ? But that is exactly the attitude that we berate bigger clubs for when they do it in the League & FA Cup !

The whole idea of this competition on its inception was to give lower division clubs like ourselves a realistic chance of winning a trophy. You have a better chance of achieving that by playing a strong side. Look how many we took to the Wembley & Millenium ! Who wouldn’t want to see that again ! That’s what fans want to see, not a dead rubber group fixture with SIXTEEN changes in total from both clubs.

I accept that people will have a different view, that’s what forums like this are for. But to me, I want to see a competitive game and that means fielding the strongest side possible.

So we just treat this tournament as a run out for fringe players ? But that is exactly the attitude that we berate bigger clubs for when they do it in the League & FA Cup !

But hasn't it always been treated as a tournament for fringe players?

I remember in 1986 when a very young Andy Porter (I think he was 17) was picked for a Sherpa Vans game against Hereford (which at the time was a record low attendance). That season we even had a trialist (Brian Palgrave) play in the Sherpa Vans.

So we were using it to try out fringe players 32 years ago!

I can see the point that if you treat it seriously then you may just win it but I don't think any League club, including Vale, has had that attitude (certainly not in the early rounds) for some time.

But hasn't it always been treated as a tournament for fringe players?

I remember in 1986 when a very young Andy Porter (I think he was 17) was picked for a Sherpa Vans game against Hereford (which at the time was a record low attendance). That season we even had a trialist (Brian Palgrave) play in the Sherpa Vans.

So we were using it to try out fringe players 32 years ago!

I can see the point that if you treat it seriously then you may just win it but I don't think any League club, including Vale, has had that attitude (certainly not in the early rounds) for some time.

We did in 2000/01 when Horton, from memory, played a virtual 1st choice team every game and lo and behold, we won the damn thing.

This is my whole point about this competition. It is eminently winnable IF you take it serious.

Having won it twice, why would we not want to win it for a third time ?

To me, I find it incredulous that any team,let alone Vale, don’t give themselves the best opportunity to win the Trophy. That best opportunity is by playing your strongest lineup.

Archived