onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Doubt of a Brazilian here

jospvfc

Hello, I'm old here and Brazilian, I've been a fan of Port Vale since 2009

I closely follow the English football of the lower divisions

I see that many traditional clubs have arrived in semi professional football

Case of Stockport County, Hereford, Chester, Darlington, Scarborough, Northwich Victoria

What happened to all these clubs, did they lack money to stay in professional football?

I'm from a distance and I do not quite understand what happened to them.

Do they have a chance to return to football league?

Do any of these rival Port Vale?

Thanks for the attention, and sorry for the questions, but since I am Brazilian I do not have details of English football.

COME ON PORT VALE

Advert

Welcome Jos, I'm sure someone will answer your question in more depth but I think a lot of the clubs you mention were poorly run. I believe Chester and Hereford had dodgy owners for a start.

With some of the owners the Vale have had recently, I think it's only sheer luck that we haven't been booted out of the league. We've often managed to find at least two clubs worse than us!

There is a pyramid system so former clubs do have a chance to return. Just last season, Tranmere and Macclesfield (both former League clubs) returned to League Two and I suspect Wrexham and Leyton Orient may well come back this time around.

Welcome Jos, I'm sure someone will answer your question in more depth but I think a lot of the clubs you mention were poorly run. I believe Chester and Hereford had dodgy owners for a start.

With some of the owners the Vale have had recently, I think it's only sheer luck that we haven't been booted out of the league. We've often managed to find at least two clubs worse than us!

There is a pyramid system so former clubs do have a chance to return. Just last season, Tranmere and Macclesfield (both former League clubs) returned to League Two and I suspect Wrexham and Leyton Orient may well come back this time around.

thanks for listening

I hope our Port Vale is never relegated out of the football league

I'm surprised to see clubs like Stockport and York in the sixth division

It's quite simple really Jos. As Rob says above a lot of teams have been badly run by poor owners who have not managed to find a good manager and have tended to take money out of the clubs rather than invest in them.

Admission prices have increased and some fans have drifted away.

You can watch Premiership football on Sky/BT for less than £100 a season and get 3-4 live games a week.

Season tickets in league two can cost anything from about £250-400+ so it's not cheap any more.

Stockport went that way. So did Hereford. Now Torquay are on the slide.

At the same time a few non league clubs were lucky enough to have very wealthy chairmen who have bankrolled them and invested an awful lot of their own money to get them into the league. FGR, Fleetwood, Fylde, Salford and others have done just that and can outspend many lower league teams and pay higher wages. Having a rich millionaire owner with money to burn and a desire to see his team succeed is quite common these days.

At least we still have relegation and promotion and as Rob says some of the older more traditional clubs are on the way back - like Wrexham and Orient.

Keep supporting us, Jos!

Here is some reading for you:

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2016/07/22/stockport-county-and-the-fall-from-the-first-division-to-non-league-football/

http://twohundredpercent.net/the-death-rebirth-of-football-in-hereford/

https://www.theguardian.com/football/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2012/jan/12/darlington-insolvent-arena-trust-administration

Scarborough and Northwich Victoria were small clubs really. But major issues are either bad investments, money being taken out of the club. That can be ill advised stadium moves, badly overspending on player wages or money going to an unscrupulous owner

Here is some reading for you:

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2016/07/22/stockport-county-and-the-fall-from-the-first-division-to-non-league-football/

http://twohundredpercent.net/the-death-rebirth-of-football-in-hereford/

https://www.theguardian.com/football/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2012/jan/12/darlington-insolvent-arena-trust-administration

Scarborough and Northwich Victoria were small clubs really. But major issues are either bad investments, money being taken out of the club. That can be ill advised stadium moves, badly overspending on player wages or money going to an unscrupulous owner

OK thank you

I'll read yes

From what I see many League Two clubs currently have irresponsible owners

It's quite simple really Jos. As Rob says above a lot of teams have been badly run by poor owners who have not managed to find a good manager and have tended to take money out of the clubs rather than invest in them.

Admission prices have increased and some fans have drifted away.

You can watch Premiership football on Sky/BT for less than £100 a season and get 3-4 live games a week.

Season tickets in league two can cost anything from about £250-400+ so it's not cheap any more.

Stockport went that way. So did Hereford. Now Torquay are on the slide.

At the same time a few non league clubs were lucky enough to have very wealthy chairmen who have bankrolled them and invested an awful lot of their own money to get them into the league. FGR, Fleetwood, Fylde, Salford and others have done just that and can outspend many lower league teams and pay higher wages. Having a rich millionaire owner with money to burn and a desire to see his team succeed is quite common these days.

At least we still have relegation and promotion and as Rob says some of the older more traditional clubs are on the way back - like Wrexham and Orient.

Keep supporting us, Jos!

Hartlepool should take longer to rise.

Chesterfield can fall to the sixth level, this is very surprising.

Archived