onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Up with the big boys?

LancyTony

Twiggy respectfully you don't know what you are talking about.

If you took the trouble to check you will find that it was the money which Wenger generated by astute signings that paid for much of their new stadium. He may have a good budget but he doesn't waste it like most of his counterparts who buy players many of which aren't worth a fraction of their fee.

As for being successful the 'Gunners' have been in the Champions League every season since Arsene walked through the door.

Twiggy think a little before you write nonsense. We all have the right to an opinion but when you consider that Arsenal have been more successful than any other club bar Chelsea and M U and they spend money like its nothing then your opinion is wrong.

Additionally Arsenal are the nicest team in the country to watch. Sometimes they infuriate but most of the time they are a joy to behold.

My only criticism would be the amount of French players he signs but after all he is a Frenchman himself and clearly knows who the best ones are.

In saying that, do you believe that, obviously with the same financial backing, that if Wenger managed vale that we would be a top 4 team?

A big percentage of the reason arsenal have had the success that they have had is because of their location.I think it Was Paul ince, then in charge of Blackburn, who said 'fans don't understand how hard it is to attract world class players to Lancashire'.

Also I understand what you are saying about the emirates being funded a lot by transfers.I know that.but I think you will find that a lot of arsenal fans want him to spend the money and be able to compete with the big boys.

For a team as big as arsenal to have only won 1 trophy in 9 years is shameful.they may have qualified for the champions league ever since Wenger started, but crucially they haven't won it have they.

Advert

OK -I want to show that a lot of the negatives that have been posted recently have been, at best, premature, or just panicky or plain stupid, and that we actually have a lot in common with some of the much-bigger clubs in football:

We had months and months of people screaming, gnashing and wailing that our Manager hadn’t signed his new contract – some even said he was going to move on…”take my word – he won’t be here much longer!” – boy, did you look stupid?? But can I remind you that one of the longest-serving, and most successful Managers in the Premier League – ARSENE WENGER - took around the same length of time to sign his new contract, which he actually did just a few weeks before Micky Adams did. Incidentally, that same Manager has a transfer kitty reportedly in the region of £60 - £100 million and has, to date, signed just 1 or 2 players…no doubt more will turn up before the season starts – did that last bit sound familiar?

BLACKPOOL – I know, I hate to consider them as a bigger club - but they are, historically and by virtue of League position over the last few years – recently cancelled their Spanish tour, as they had only 8…YES EIGHT…first-teamers signed up, none of whom were Goalkeepers! And that was disclosed in public, on Sky and in the nationals, not kept in-house and shushed up!

Remember when we almost played Joe Davis in the Cup? An understandable mistake, actually, since he was OUR player, just temporarily transferred out on loan…well, some of you suggested sacking people, and called us a tinpot club, and blah, blah, blather…Premier League SUNDERLAND got fined for playing an ineligible player on 5…count ‘em…FIVE…occasions! (4 Prem / 1 Capital One Cup, in case you’re doubtful?)

We, apparently, came under a transfer embargo during last season…I think the use of the word “embargo” was a bit sensationalist…I believe we had simply reached our salary levels under FFP restrictions? MANCHESTER CITY received a huge fine (actually, a large sum of cash will be deducted from Champions’ League earnings over the next 3 years); a cap on transfer activity, and squad restrictions…WOW! (Other clubs failing FFP include those minnows Paris St Germain, Galatasaray. Trabzonspor, Zenit St Petersburg, etc… ) How is this possible? It only happens to little, tinpot, badly-run clubs…blah, blah, blather!!!

BARCELONA was given a 14-month transfer embargo…sadly, FIFA didn’t have the cojones to make it stick, and the club is signing players, however, I believe this will be reviewed again, shortly?

The point I’m trying to make, is that the people who own / run / work and play for Port Vale are merely human, and, therefore, they are prone to make mistakes. Those of you who criticise – how many of you NEVER make mistakes at work, or in life? Think on this before you open your loud mouths!

As for our budget restrictions – if we have sold 1200 season tickets fewer than last season, that’s around quarter of a million pounds – minimum – less to go in the budget. Work it out, Guys! But…looks like it’s turning out nicely??

Started to read this ulogy then rapidly lost the will to live .

It gets worse when you read people say 'I'd take Adams over Wenger'.

The facts are this.arsenal have been an also ran in every competition they have entered for the last 9 years apart from the fa cup this season.I wonder how many arsenal fans are happy with being 'just another horse' just because Wenger doesn't want to spend.

If Wenger had left ten years ago, undoubtably he would of been one of the most successful managers ever.but like I said before, for a team the size of arsenal to have won one trophy in 9 years is shocking.and the reason I said I would have Adams over Wenger is this: if they have only won 1 trophy in 9 years, even with the ideal location of London and with the players they have and with the massive financial backing they do have, what would he do with a little side from burslem with next to no money?

Adams managed a side that were skint, with no guarantee that we were even going to be a football team the next season.that season, against all the odds, we were promoted.

Adams and smurf deserve our full backing.they have that from me.but with some of the derogatory remarks I read on here, I don't think every thinks the same.

The facts are this.arsenal have been an also ran in every competition they have entered for the last 9 years apart from the fa cup this season.I wonder how many arsenal fans are happy with being 'just another horse' just because Wenger doesn't want to spend.

If Wenger had left ten years ago, undoubtably he would of been one of the most successful managers ever.but like I said before, for a team the size of arsenal to have won one trophy in 9 years is shocking.and the reason I said I would have Adams over Wenger is this: if they have only won 1 trophy in 9 years, even with the ideal location of London and with the players they have and with the massive financial backing they do have, what would he do with a little side from burslem with next to no money?

Adams managed a side that were skint, with no guarantee that we were even going to be a football team the next season.that season, against all the odds, we were promoted.

Adams and smurf deserve our full backing.they have that from me.but with some of the derogatory remarks I read on here, I don't think every thinks the same.

Wenger's net spend for the 8 years after moving to the Emirates was ridiculous, something like +£10 million, to allow the club to become financially stable and pay off the debts. They're getting there now, and they bought Ozil last season and Sanchez this season for big bucks. They won the FA cup last season and looked to be in a title challenge till half their squad got injured.

In the modern day where a player with 6 good games at a world cup goes for £70 million, it is refreshing to see a manager who puts financial stability ahead of spending his way to glory, while at the same time maintaining his principles of attacking, possession football and blooding young players.

In 20 years time people will look back on Wenger's reign with great admiration.

Wenger's net spend for the 8 years after moving to the Emirates was ridiculous, something like +£10 million, to allow the club to become financially stable and pay off the debts. They're getting there now, and they bought Ozil last season and Sanchez this season for big bucks. They won the FA cup last season and looked to be in a title challenge till half their squad got injured.

In the modern day where a player with 6 good games at a world cup goes for £70 million, it is refreshing to see a manager who puts financial stability ahead of spending his way to glory, while at the same time maintaining his principles of attacking, possession football and blooding young players.

In 20 years time people will look back on Wenger's reign with great admiration.

Do you think, in footballing terms, Wenger has been successful?

I am not doubting that financially he has been brilliant.like has been pointed out, wengers transfers helped pay for the emirates and in comparison to Chelsea or man city they don't have much debt,if any.but if you were an arsenal fan, would you be happy with one trophy in nine years?

Do you think, in footballing terms, Wenger has been successful?

I am not doubting that financially he has been brilliant.like has been pointed out, wengers transfers helped pay for the emirates and in comparison to Chelsea or man city they don't have much debt,if any.but if you were an arsenal fan, would you be happy with one trophy in nine years?

Yes he has been successful, winning trophies in a world where Chelsea and Man City seem to have unlimited funds is much harder than 1 promotion from league 2.

How many players has Mickey signed and then sold on for a considerable profit?

Wenger is a smart guy and has spent his money wisely, he could of splashed the cash and Arsenal could of won trophies or could of gone bust.

Yes he has been successful, winning trophies in a world where Chelsea and Man City seem to have unlimited funds is much harder than 1 promotion from league 2.

How many players has Mickey signed and then sold on for a considerable profit?

Wenger is a smart guy and has spent his money wisely, he could of splashed the cash and Arsenal could of won trophies or could of gone bust.

One trophy in nine years is hardly a lot is it.

Tell me something, when vale went into administration, who did you blame?

If vale got wound up tomorrow, would it be because of smurf or Adams?

IMO a managers job is to manage and an owners job to own.I don't deny that Wenger has done a gr8 job for arsenal in the long run,they will be stable for years.but I personally don't think its his job to finance the club.if results go bad, how many chairmen come out and say its my fault?

He should be responsible for coaching, training and tactics exc.it is the chairman's and chief execs job to worry about finances.

And as regards to the continuous drug thing, have you really got nothing original to say?

My 3 yr old daughter has better come backs

One trophy in nine years is hardly a lot is it.

Tell me something, when vale went into administration, who did you blame?

If vale got wound up tomorrow, would it be because of smurf or Adams?

IMO a managers job is to manage and an owners job to own.I don't deny that Wenger has done a gr8 job for arsenal in the long run,they will be stable for years.but I personally don't think its his job to finance the club.if results go bad, how many chairmen come out and say its my fault?

He should be responsible for coaching, training and tactics exc.it is the chairman's and chief execs job to worry about finances.

And as regards to the continuous drug thing, have you really got nothing original to say?

My 3 yr old daughter has better come backs

Continuous drug thing? I made one comment.

I bet your 3yr old daughter says more intelligent things than you.

Adams better than Wenger I've heard it all now. The most stupidest thing I have read in a long time on here.

Continuous drug thing? I made one comment.

I bet your 3yr old daughter says more intelligent things than you.

Adams better than Wenger I've heard it all now. The most stupidest thing I have read in a long time on here.

First of all I didn't just aim it at you..a few posts have said it.

Secondly,I have explained my reasons in thinking that Adams is a better manager than Wenger.I couldn't give the slightest damn whether you think I'm right or wrong.

And last but not least, if you want to get personal mate then do it with someone else because I only listen to people that actually respond with an intelligent answer and not childish idiots who are just there to rubbish peoples thoughts and opinions.

Is the 1 trophy won the F.A. Cup - the 1 trophy that in recent years has been given scant regard by Arsenal, Man U et al?

Indeed, the one even Championship teams play reserve players in!

I can see the logic in both sides of this argument as I doubt Adams could do Wenger's job or that Wenger's could do Adams.

One thing is for certain 1 success in 9 years would be rarely tolerated by fans in this day and age. How many managers have we had in that time!

Indeed, the one even Championship teams play reserve players in!

I can see the logic in both sides of this argument as I doubt Adams could do Wenger's job or that Wenger's could do Adams.

One thing is for certain 1 success in 9 years would be rarely tolerated by fans in this day and age. How many managers have we had in that time!

You see pest6, that's an intelligent response!

I understand why people think I'm talking jibberish, y wouldn't it be role reversal if Adamswwas better than Wenger, but I just think Wenger worries way too much about finance and not enough about competing in the transfer market.

I just hope he's starting to proove me wrong with Sanchez and ozil joining.

Archived