onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Boycott the West Indies

JOHNNYAITCH

Why stop at sport ? Why do sportsmen always cop it ? What about business and trade ? They will continue the same. You could find some reason for not playing against any country if you looked hard enough.

Advert

I was simply explaining the cricket thing which is what your original post was about JA.

My post was not about cricket but about homosexuality being illegal in parts of the West Indies and us seemingly not trying to do anything about it when sporting boycott's would give us chance to do so

Do we know if the Windies pick their teams on the grounds of sexual orientation - I don't know?

I have no idea..probably in a round about way as any openly gay player would be in prison so their cricket career would grind to a halt.

As I say, quite happy for us to voice our opposition to their policy but I'm just not sure that a boycott is the best way of doing it. Are we going to boycott the 2018 World Cup for the same reason? Are we going to ban all the West Indian athletes from the Commonwealth Games?

Maybe we should?

Absolutely not and I didn't say we should.

I just think that when we do get involved with things like this, we shouldn't go about it by claiming the moral high ground like we usually do.

If a country is a democratic country and they vote for something that we don't agree with then it's nothing to do with us on soo many levels. But I'm not suggesting overthrowing the govt cos they are doing things we disagree with..just protesting via not participating in sporting activites. We can't condone everythig just cos it was voted for

Why stop at sport ? Why do sportsmen always cop it ? What about business and trade ? They will continue the same. You could find some reason for not playing against any country if you looked hard enough.

Not suggesting we should stop at aport

Business already indulges in such boycotts; in my indusrty there are nations we don't deal with cos for exampole of human rights issues. Although it's far from comprehensive and consistant. There has been a response to what's happening in the Ukraine for example

My point re the West Indies and homosexuality is that you don't have to look very hard..but yes I am sure we could find issue with just about every nation if we really wanted to just as every nation could find issue with the Uk if it wanted to..but that's no reason to never take a stance.

My post was not about cricket but about homosexuality being illegal in parts of the West Indies and us seemingly not trying to do anything about it when sporting boycott's would give us chance to do so.

"There is an increasing (although still small) call to boycott the West Indies as far as cricket is concerned and some of the nations there generally in sporting terms due to the stance on homosexuality of some caribbean countries."

????

"There is an increasing (although still small) call to boycott the West Indies as far as cricket is concerned and some of the nations there generally in sporting terms due to the stance on homosexuality of some caribbean countries."

????

Cricket was and is not the subject here.

Archived