onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Paul Wildes steps down; Norman Smurthwaite sole owner of PVFC

One owner/one vision Norman has grown to love the club more than he ever thought he would. It's sad to see Paul leave he was a nice bloke but when you have 2 strong characters leading a business pulling in different directions it's not good for the business. The stronger man won and we move forward. Norman backed MA and the team,when we were struggling he didn't panic and look where we ended up.

Onwards an upwards.....

Im a little concerned by the "love the club" comments [not just yours].... I dont mind him loving the club as long as he doesnt lose his business head.... that was the key when they both came in to rescue us

Advert

Now is the time to be calm. I am as disappointed as anyone that Paul Wildes has resigned, but two things stand out.

1. We don't know all the facts, but when has that ever stopped Vale fans speculating?

2. Originally it was PW who offered to buy the club and then he brought in NS. To me that indicates that he wanted or needed Smurfs expertise, money or both!

Having been involved with different business's for over 25 years, I can say that most, if not all have one dominant figure that drives it on. They have great teams around them but there is one at the top. Jack Welch at GE, Branson at Virgin, Steve Jobs at Apple and Gates at Microsoft. The same thing applies to most small business's. Who is to say that this could not tun out for the better.

Now, more than any other time is not to panic. Lets all stay calm and see what unfolds!

Why do you all trust smurf over wildes. There's no doubting he's enjoying running the club so far, however though I don't know where the money is or comes from wildes seems to be the one with business sense...

I believe that Norman is very much the wealthy one, it seemed he wanted to be the sleeping partner.

Just played a snippet of an interview with him on radio stoke, nothing major in it said he remained friends with Paul but was disappointed he couldn't put the interests of the club first.

Why do you all trust smurf over wildes. There's no doubting he's enjoying running the club so far, however though I don't know where the money is or comes from wildes seems to be the one with business sense...

Im not sure thats strictly true

I'm not sure we will ever know 'all the facts', and personally I don't want to know them. It's done now.

For me the next piece of the jigsaw will be the Supporters Club / Fans Forum on Monday :)

Sorry but as a supporter who has spent over a thousand pound on seasons tickets just a few days ago because of promises made by NS AND Wildes, I think we have a right to know what has gone on!

This is the 3rd season in a row that there has been a drama at the time I've come to renew tickets and having done so I've soon wished I'd held back each time. 1st it was the Blue Sky lie, then last season Keith Ryder disappeared and now this split within the club.

It's not good.

One owner/one vision Norman has grown to love the club more than he ever thought he would. It's sad to see Paul leave he was a nice bloke but when you have 2 strong characters leading a business pulling in different directions it's not good for the business. The stronger man won and we move forward. Norman backed MA and the team,when we were struggling he didn't panic and look where we ended up.

Onwards an upwards.....

If that is the case, then Norman displayed the calmness and clarity of thinking that s required to run any organisation. He knew that the objective was promotion ad identified the best way to do it.

Will we ever know all of the facts, I very much doubt it. I am more concerned about what happens next than what happened before!

My understanding of the conflict for what it is , is over season tickets,I would think Wildes had is business head on and Smurf had his fans head on, we will find out the truth eventually,

Hi Grebo,

It may well be one of the issues, but for what it's worth - given I walk upside down 'Downunder - it seems to me that the major stumbling block has been one of major differences in the making and taking decisions at the higher level.

Still, roll on Monday :)

Sorry but as a supporter who has spent over a thousand pound on seasons tickets just a few days ago because of promises made by NS AND Wildes, I think we have a right to know what has gone on!

This is the 3rd season in a row that there has been a drama at the time I've come to renew tickets and having done so I've soon wished I'd held back each time. 1st it was the Blue Sky lie, then last season Keith Ryder disappeared and now this split within the club.

It's not good.

We all spend big pennies over time to support Port Vale F.C., but all that does - for me at least - is gain a ringside seat at the game.

Guest TommyMac

Until further new investment is brought into the club, PW leaving has to be bad news. NS has just paid out a significant sum of money for PW's 50% stake in the club; that is money that he could (not saying he would) have invested in either on or off field operations. Also every cost associated with running the club is now the responsibility of one man not two. How long will Norman be happy to single-handedly finance a football club that he wants to progress?

I really hope Norman has a wealthy friend(s) who he can persuade to 'join the party'.

It's not good.

I bought my season ticket to support the team. I don't expect or need to know all the INS and ours of what is going on at the club.IM a fan not a shareholder

Archived