onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Record Store Day 2013

mr.hobblesworth

Don't know if anyone's been to this before but it's happening this coming Saturday. There's a list of exclusive, mostly shoddy and overpriced 'product' here...

http://www.recordstoreday.co.uk/exclusive-products/2013/

Some decent stuff there but it's hard to get hold of a lot of it and it just ends up on ebay by lunch time.

Do any record shops in S-o-T participate? There's one in Hanley, I think, where Lotus/ Terry Blood used to be (God, I bet that makes me sound old). Any others? Was thinking about popping in before the match but don't know if queues will be round the block (in Manchester last year, there seemed to be an average queueing time of several hours with people camping out overnight).

Advert

Chas and Dave picture disc? Men Without Hats' Safety Dance? Black Lace 7" box set? (I made the last one up admittedly).

I suppose apart from those, this year has thrown up a hell of a lot of quite lazy reissues, either in the form of stupidly limited 7" singles that will nearly all go to scummy dealers or ridiculously overprices LPs that should generally be available for a few quid in any 2nd hand record shop worth it's salt. Stuff like Ultravox's Vienna LP is a charity shop staple. I guess next year they'll be reissuing Alison Moyet's Raindance, Paul Young's No Parlez and The Sound of Music OST.

...a great way to promote vinyl.

I'm quite uneasy about the whole day (although will try and get to a record shop and pick a few things up). I guess my main issue is that the day generally seems to promote vinyl as something to invest in, to profit from, to only bother with when it's limited to 500 copies and can be sold for a hefty profit instantly on ebay. I bet you that the vast vast majority of articles in the build up to RSD concentrate on the rarity value of the items on sale rather than the actual music. I know that's been the case in previous years. My main memory of previous years is of people crowing about how much their purchases were already worth rather than what great musis they'd got hold of.

They should have these monthly not anually.

God, no! I don't think my bank account could take it.

Music Mania in Hanley and Rubber Soul in Stoke take part in it.

I'm a bit uneasy about the whole idea to be honts. If you love records and record shops so much then shop in them all the time. Get rid of spotify, uninstall iTunes and stop downloading stuff. Physical is better than digital.

Horses for courses. I dont download or use spotify, and love vinyl and especially album covers, it's the whole package that counts.

When I buy a new vinyl album though, I will often still get the (cheaper) cd and load it up to itunes - ipods have their place when you are in the right situation to use them.

There is nothing like a proper good night playing albums, friends bringing their vinyl round and all listening to the best stuff played on a turntable, - sadly doesn't happen as often as it used to,

Horses for courses. I dont download or use spotify, and love vinyl and especially album covers, it's the whole package that counts.

When I buy a new vinyl album though, I will often still get the (cheaper) cd and load it up to itunes - ipods have their place when you are in the right situation to use them.

There is nothing like a proper good night playing albums, friends bringing their vinyl round and all listening to the best stuff played on a turntable, - sadly doesn't happen as often as it used to,

I don't use Spotify or have an iPod or any music on my phone, but all my vinyl is in the loft with my old photos and camcorder tapes.

I love the convenience of being able to just click on any tune and play it. Same for old, now didgitised photos and videos.

And being able to just bang my current favourite tunes on a memory stick and play them in the car is brilliant.

I don't need to see or stroke the album cover to enjoy the music. It was just marketing bumpf to justify the price. Same with kindle/books. The words/music stand alone.

All the extra info and album art is now available with a few clicks.

Not forgetting the impact the vinyl had on me at the time, but now it's just nostalgia, which has it's place, but not in the everyday, at least not for me.

I don't use Spotify or have an iPod or any music on my phone, but all my vinyl is in the loft with my old photos and camcorder tapes.

I love the convenience of being able to just click on any tune and play it. Same for old, now didgitised photos and videos.

And being able to just bang my current favourite tunes on a memory stick and play them in the car is brilliant.

I don't need to see or stroke the album cover to enjoy the music. It was just marketing bumpf to justify the price. Same with kindle/books. The words/music stand alone.

All the extra info and album art is now available with a few clicks.

Not forgetting the impact the vinyl had on me at the time, but now it's just nostalgia, which has it's place, but not in the everyday, at least not for me.

Each to his own.

I can't agree that it is the same to look at the information online as to look at and yes, feel the album cover - some of them do have an actual texture (early King Crimson for example).

The music is the same,yes. But many people can get enjoyment from the album artwork etc. and I dont think price was ever inflated - in fact New Order's Blur Monday 12 inch actally lost money on each copy sold because of the fantastic diecut that the 12 inch was sold in !

You are right about the car, of course. And being able to play an ipod on holiday and in many other situations is great. But what came with some vinyl just doesnt translate to a screen - look at The WHo's Tommy and Quadrophenia albums for example.

Maybe one day when you are bored you will raid the loft and look through all those album covers and the memories they hold will make sure they dont get put back and left there.

Archived