onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Holiday in Thailand

Bails

Looking around at Holidays in Thailand, for March. What resorts/locations can people reccommend?? Just want to experience a different part of the world and Thailand.looks good!

What can people say about Pattaya? Lools more likely to be within my budget!

Advert

Looking around at Holidays in Thailand, for March. What resorts/locations can people reccommend?? Just want to experience a different part of the world and Thailand.looks good!

What can people say about Pattaya? Lools more likely to be within my budget!

Depends how hot you like it..... into hot season in march.... 40c+ is usual.

You will pay much more if you book a package in the UK..... hotels charge by the room not by the person.... try asiarooms.com for a sample.... prices start to fall around june and rise again in october..... if you want something special try to get over april 12th to 15th.... its sonkran [new year] but it will be very busy and more expensive.

Pattaya is ok... a bit blackpooly for me and the golden mile is replaced by walking street..... if you cant find what your looking for there you will never find it.

Phuket is better and it has partong if you want the night life

Other coastal resorts include cha am, krabbi, kho samui, kho chang and a number of islands.

If you dont want beach life head north to chiang mai.

Unless you really want the experience I would avoid bangkok.... its dirty, smelly, noisy, hot and very busy.... but you would miss some interesting places..... another walking street and patpong to name two.

I could warn you about getting too drunk or sampling some of the local prohibited substances but all I will say is.... the Thai police are not sympathetic and the courts are less than lenient..... a foreign guy found with a few "Es" in his apartment was given 30 years and the bangkok hilton isnt the best resort in town.

If you decide to go let me know and I will pass on a few tips for when you are there.......... like... dont put your feet up ... its an insult.... all the bar girls arent.... dont touch a Thais head... etc etc etc

Thanks Geo! I have no desire whatsoever to go to Bangkok!

We want somewhere coastal, that ideally has plenty of opportunity to see some of the culture and sight seein locations! The mrs is massively into that side of things.

Then I would suggest Phuket [silent H].

Various resorts with lots of boat trips to and around the islands.... you cant go far in Thailand without a temple being close by if your into that sort of thing.... most of the hotels can organise excursions for you and there are plenty of independent outlets to try. Depending on season you can rent a car, small or large motorcycle to travel on your own... cars from about 20 quid a day.... small motorcycles get through the traffic easier.

Partong is very busy in high season but there are quieter places close by.... like karon beach..... be very careful of the tides on some of the beeches..... if you want to see the locals at home get out of the tourist areas.... try the fishing villages.

Hotels vary greatly in accommodation and price..... from 10 quid or less a night basic rooms to private bungalows and suits... I was in Phuket last year [june I think] stayed in Karon Beach.... large room, bathroom with bath, shower outside and private jacuzzi about 12 quid a night.... partong about 15 minutes away by tuk tuk at about 200Bht [4 quid].

There are quite a few Islands you can stay on.... koh samet, kho samui etc etc.... or you could try where the Thais go... cha am or hua hin.... about 170 and 190 kilometers south of bangkok respectively.... about 2 hours drive.

If your flying economy you can get some good deals on the net and good room prices through asia rooms [or similar] site [there are more, just cant think of their names].... dont change all your cash in the UK you can get a much better deal localy... the Baht floats between 47 and 50 to the pound since the slump and there are plenty of banks to change at... even on a sunday in the shopping malls.

As for bangkok.... you may have no desire to go but if your wife likes shopping she may have other ideas.

If you do decide to go let me know and I will offer a few tips.

The mrs and myself had an excellent holliday in hua hin a couple of years ago.

Plenty of decent places to eat and drink good market and within easy reach of places worth a visit.

Main reason i chose there was the easy ability to avoid the seedier side of Thailand.(the wife insisted)

Cracking holliday and will remember for a long long time.lol.

Archived