onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

OVF: Mobile changes

robf

I have now made some changes to the OVF mobile website after some users reported problems with the current OVF design not appearing correctly.

Who's affected:

• Those of you who visit the front of OVF on your iPhones/android phones/Blackberries
  • It shouldn't affect anyone using a tablet (iPad/Android device)
  • It also won't affect the current mobile forum design, just the OVF front page and features.

If you type in http://www.onevalefan.co.uk into a smart phone you'll know be redirected to a mobile-optimised site which displays the three latest forum posts plus the ten latest news stories from OVF. There is also a link to visit the mobile version of the forum.

Here's a screengrab of what it should look like (this is of an iphone - Android and Blackberry views will look similar):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2864[/ATTACH]

If you have any problems with the mobile website please let me know via email ([email protected]) or private message. Please note, it may take me a little while to get back to you.

Advert

• 3 weeks later...

Ok here is the news...

PLEASE CLEAR YOUR CACHE

THEN TRY THE URLS m.onevalefan.co.uk OR m.onevalefan.co.uk/forum

Background:

* I tried out a new version (duda mobile) of the site but I found it flakey and yet another thing to update.

* So I reverted back to the existing site which should display OK on mobile devices

* However, I cannot test the mobile on every device unfortunately (unless you want to buy me every version of iPhone and Android phone on the market to use)

However, if you clear your cache you should find you access the mobile site fine.

Clear your cache (that's normally something like Menu - Settings - Clear Cache in your mobile browser) to get rid of any cached versions of the duda site. and go to http://m.onevalefan.co.uk and you should see a mobile version of the normal, desktop site *

You can view the forum through a mobile device. It is available through any device through the URL http://m.onevalefan.co.uk/forum

However, some people have caching issues where it shows the wrong forum style (the desktop version not the mobile version) but it is definitely there (I just checked myself).

If you have cleared your cache as above, you can force the forum to display in the mobile style by going to this URL:

http://m.onevalefan.co.uk/forum/index.php?styleid=28

The above doesn't always work, but it is worth a try.

If problems persist and you have cleared your cache please let me know. In particular I would like to have:

* Details of the device you use to access OVF

* Confirmation you have cleared the cache as above

* Screengrabs if at all possible (I know this may be a problem on mobiles but if you can it helps)

Going forward

Mobile is a priority for me to sort out as I can see that traffic through mobile and tablet devices is growing. I have yet to find a 100% satisfactory solution to accessing OVF on a mobile hence these changes. One of the issues is that I cannot test mobile changes on every device so I am very reliant on you, the users who access the site:

1. Bearing with me as I make changes

2. Letting me know with as much detail as possible ("it doesn't work" isn't especially helpful)

3. Comments and (constructive) criticism are welcome. I am not doing this stuff to annoy you, I am doing it to try and bring you the best possible way of accessing OVF from mobile devices.

Archived