onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

(OVF) Clubs with long-term planning are winning right now…

Guest OVF Feature

Guest OVF Feature

Rob Fielding notes how four successful clubs have something in common – commitment to a style of play and a...

Read more

This is an automated feed from the OVF front page

Advert

I think the way the clubs that you have mentioned are heading is a good and very laudable one but for it to work the parent club must look after their young and developing talent by not only coaching them well in all of the aspects of the game but by giving them a decent wage while this development is taking root.

Sadly I fear that this could be where the biggest stumbling blocks could be as good coaches cost money and the apprentices must be paid a reasonable salary to expect them to remain loyal.

Young Hugill was a classic example last season. We no doubt offered him a poor deal so we left for pastures new. Whether he would have made the grade only time will tell but we can't expect these lads to accept peanuts in this most delicate of all apprenticeships. Gradi at Crewe seemed to be a master at keeping hold of his brightest stars until the big pay day came along for both parties. Now those big transfers have all but dried up the 'gravy train seems to be chugging out of Crewe's station'. I hear that it costs their club a million to keep their academy open. This is a figure I doubt the Smurf would ever contemplate funding though I bet this amount and probably more the four previously mentioned clubs are prepared to find to reap the richest harvest.

I think the way the clubs that you have mentioned are heading is a good and very laudable one but for it to work the parent club must look after their young and developing talent by not only coaching them well in all of the aspects of the game but by giving them a decent wage while this development is taking root.

Sadly I fear that this could be where the biggest stumbling blocks could be as good coaches cost money and the apprentices must be paid a reasonable salary to expect them to remain loyal.

Young Hugill was a classic example last season. We no doubt offered him a poor deal so we left for pastures new. Whether he would have made the grade only time will tell but we can't expect these lads to accept peanuts in this most delicate of all apprenticeships. Gradi at Crewe seemed to be a master at keeping hold of his brightest stars until the big pay day came along for both parties. Now those big transfers have all but dried up the 'gravy train seems to be chugging out of Crewe's station'. I hear that it costs their club a million to keep their academy open. This is a figure I doubt the Smurf would ever contemplate funding though I bet this amount and probably more the four previously mentioned clubs are prepared to find to reap the richest harvest.

I think it's a mixture of things to be honest. It's true that the owners of three of the clubs (Swansea being largely fan-owned) have deep pockets so it helps to be rich if you want to develop a long-term plan.

While the financials may no longer stack up for Crewe their reputation is still there. I would imagine some young kids will think about Crewe ahead of other clubs because they know Crewe are not afraid to put youngsters in the first-team.

So what I am getting at is a club identity, a way of thinking that makes the Vale different. It may be that the method in the article doesn't work because it's too expensive or other clubs are doing it and it's too late to adopt it, but something else may work.

I personally loved the brochure that was done in Paul Wildes days. It gave a clear identity to the club and a (for want of a better phrase) a mission statement "We are proud to be from the Potteries..." etc.

It alone won't win games but it gave an identity and would guide everything from the "new" badge (itself a tribute to an old design), the look of the club shop (images of club legends on the windows), the fonts and colours used in club signage/stationary, it gave the fans (and sponsors) an idea of the club's principles and beliefs and so on...

The brochure is here: http://www.onevalefan.co.uk/Port-Vale.pdf

Thank you, Rob, for an excellent and thought provoking article. While I firmly believe we need to look to the future and develop our own ideas, I should point out that when Gradi took over at Crewe they were in a far worse state than Vale have ever been and that Crewe have invested heavily in their youth set up over a number of years. A proper youth setup takes years to develop and it may be that taking cast-offs from Premier League set-ups with a proper coaching system and guaranteed opportunities and, if you like, a philosophy. Certainly we need time, teamwork and monitoring of all aspects of the club system.

Thank you, Rob, for an excellent and thought provoking article. While I firmly believe we need to look to the future and develop our own ideas, I should point out that when Gradi took over at Crewe they were in a far worse state than Vale have ever been and that Crewe have invested heavily in their youth set up over a number of years. A proper youth setup takes years to develop and it may be that taking cast-offs from Premier League set-ups with a proper coaching system and guaranteed opportunities and, if you like, a philosophy. Certainly we need time, teamwork and monitoring of all aspects of the club system.

I think that's hit it on the nail. It's really this sentence....

Produce a plan you believe in and be prepared to commit to it long-term, not just pay it lip service.

Still don't like the new badge and it has had a very negative effect on merchandise sales from my perspective, I haven't bought anything from the Vale shop since it was introduced. Apart from tickets that is....

I don't think any changes are ever going to be 100% popular - that document was linked to, not because of the badge design but because of the language, images and fonts used in it to give the club an identity.

A good article but "winning right now" ?!!?

Has a Californian hacked into the website?

Nope, but sometimes a headline has to fit into a certain space. I've been trying to convey messages in OVF headlines for 19 years and it can be difficult. Sometimes the preferred words just don't fit and at the time "winning right now" summed up the message of the article best and in the space available.

Now leave me alone, I'm off to watch some ice hockey :razz:

I went to watch a fight, and suddenly an ice hockey match broke out? lol

My mistake, I read "Canadian" for "Californian" - that's what happens when you are trying to alter a bit of code on the site while reading posts.

Sorry about that... :blush:

p.s. The code change worked better than my headline by the looks of it...

Archived