onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Our goalscoring failings

Jacko51

It was pointed out to me today that 22% of our goals this season came in two games - Stockport away and Morecambe at home!

We haven't scored an away goal since Shrewsbury on 8th March.

Barnet have conceded 77 goals this season - we are the only team in the division which hasn't scored against them!

This simply MUST be sorted out.

Advert

Blame Micky leaving, blame Gannon, blame the board etc.

But at the end of the day, at no stage of the season have we scored enough. We had a great defence to begin with, so we didn't need to score many to pick up points. I always knew it wouldn't last, and alas the defence got worse and we slipped down the league.

Had Adams stayed, we probably would have got play-offs at least, but it wouldn't have been as amazing as everyone made out.

Guest have it !!!

we should change your name to stato jacko

once again - you have not disappointed...

On the same token, you have to be thankful that we have had one of the best defences in the division or we could easily have been in Lincoln's position today.

Chesterfield, the champions of League Two, conceded two more than Vale did!! Un-believable!

This has to be one of the most dissapointing, but the most bizarre, seasons in Vale's history.

If the defence gets dismantled, and we do not strenghten in Midfield and Attack, next season will see us out of the league- no question.

It was pointed out to me today that 22% of our goals this season came in two games - Stockport away and Morecambe at home!

We haven't scored an away goal since Shrewsbury on 8th March.

Barnet have conceded 77 goals this season - we are the only team in the division which hasn't scored against them!

This simply MUST be sorted out.

That is a shocking set of stats

The players need to take a long hard look at themselves, for me they have let us down bigtime, especially when JG left and they reportedly said 'get your mortgages on us going up'.

There have simply been not enough chances converted. M Richards should have scored at least 30 goals in the league (should have bagged hat-tricks in the Bury & Morcambe home games) and the midfield has been nothing short of of shocking on the goal front.

A clear out is most definitely needed.

I noticed that a lot of the struggling sides had tricky wingers, danger men and pace in their teams.

we had none of the above!

End of discussion.

Good point. Apart from Rob Taylor and Haldane?? Certainly lacking pace in midfield which maybe explains the lack of goals here. Nobody making surging runs etc. Rico's are too similar. Need a nippy forward as a contrast. Mentioned this a while back and somebody said what about Rigg. Not sure.

I can only take heart from season 1968-69

W D L F A Pt Pos

16 14 16 46 46 46 13

The following year we were promoted.

A striker by the name of John James may be the difference. James scored 17 that season.:shifty:

Also a manager by the name of Gordon Lee

"Devising an individual coaching plan for each player, he build a side around fitness and teamwork. Under his command Vale gained promotion to the Third Division at the first attempt. Veteran Roy Sproson later said that "Lee was a great person to work for. He was as straight as a die but, if anything, rather cautious and predictable. If he took over a team in North Vietnam, I would know the way they play."

Take a look at the team its hell of a lot better

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969%E2%80%9370_Port_Vale_F.C._season

I can't believe noone has mentioned the fact we have no attacking coach. Grew was a keeper, Geoff is an apprentice. I'd happily have Foyle back to be an attacking coach. He worked wonders with Leon and Akpo but Foyles errors were always in our defensive approach.

We have not scored enough goals for over 7 seasons.

2004 - 2005 = 49 finished 18th

2005 - 2006 = 49 finished 13th

2006 - 2007 = 64 finished 12th

2007 - 2008 = 47 finished 23rd relegated

2008 - 2009 = 44 finished 18th

2009 -2010 = 61 finished 10th

2010 - 2011 = 54 finished 11th

Defence in last two seasons very good under Adams conceded 49 and 50

Archived