onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Mental health seminar

JOHNNYAITCH

Advert

In my career I am paid and need to have a professionally sceptical mindset all the time. Sometimes that doesn't help in other life situations and can make me very risk averse for example and unduly likely to stick with what I know and where I have been. But the point is that the mind is inherently evolved to see the negative in situations and to be self critical of the self. So if I do something today like talk to someone who frustrates me with too heavier a response I will regret that and it will make a big impact. Meanwhile I will not focus anywhere near enough on things I did well today benefiting me and others. Over time this causes a person to be too critical of oneself and therefore unhappy. This becomes a habit that need to be broken by something like NLP. It can also have side affects like becoming attached to making improvements in oneself that are stressful and further don't help. So it is important to realise that one needs to love oneself - but not from ego - in order to be happy and importantly to have the platform and resilience to be able to help others.

Many years ago my wife suffered with depression and palpitations. She would just sit crying and wanting me to stay with her and not go to work.

She had many visits to doctors and hospitals for tests, ex-rays etc. The drugs prescribed just made her feel tired.

I made a visit to the health stores where the man told me that she needed iron, zinc and vitamin B complex.

After taking these for a few weeks she was healed and has been O.K. ever since.

In recent years I made weekly visits to the hospital chapel where patients from the mental health ward came for prayer and support. Some of them were like zombies. They had no emotions, never smiling or weeping. They sat motionless. Many became my friends and some still are, especially those who took my advice and continued to take, iron, zinc and vit.B.

Some clinics in America treat mental health patients in this way and have reported much success.

The brain also need selenium which can be gained from just one daily Brazil nut. Omega 3 is also needed which is obtained from fatty meat, oily fish and flax seed oil.

One thing that must be avoided is the sugar free drinks and foods that contain Aspartame which prevents the brain from producing dopamine. Dopamine needs to flood the brain and put a lining on the neurotransmitters. Aspartame helps to cause depression and other illnesses and should be avoided by all people. (Google it and see).

I hope that this none professional advice is helpful to some one.

Professionals are divided about treatment but it would appear that talking therapy is the most effective. Unfortunately the NHS is vastly under funded particularly in the sphere of mental health but charitable organisations such as Mind, Rethink and Brighter Futures can be very helpful. With regard to treatment whatever works for you is good. I too have been through Valium, Lithrium etc. but feel these are only pain killers. I personally found that contact with others, talking and joining in were very helpful -even following the Vale in my darkest moments.

I've found these posts to be very touching. No one should feel ashamed or stigmatised by mental health problems and we need to have more open debate about the issues and the solutions. Nobody expects to go though life without becoming physically ill at some point and mental health problems are just as real and more common than we think. This is particularly true of young people whose needs are very poorly catered for. In my long experience of working in public sector contexts, it always seemed like the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services were the first to be cut or last in the line for any extra funding when it was going, and this has been true of all governments, so I'm not trying to make a political point. If we can't get it right for our young people, too many of whom are driven to suicide by their inability to cope, we will just be storing up worse problems in the future. I feel very strongly that we need to put the needs of children and young people at the forefront of our thinking.

I've found these posts to be very touching. No one should feel ashamed or stigmatised by mental health problems and we need to have more open debate about the issues and the solutions. Nobody expects to go though life without becoming physically ill at some point and mental health problems are just as real and more common than we think. This is particularly true of young people whose needs are very poorly catered for. In my long experience of working in public sector contexts, it always seemed like the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services were the first to be cut or last in the line for any extra funding when it was going, and this has been true of all governments, so I'm not trying to make a political point. If we can't get it right for our young people, too many of whom are driven to suicide by their inability to cope, we will just be storing up worse problems in the future. I feel very strongly that we need to put the needs of children and young people at the forefront of our thinking.

It is certainly true that I, as a person in my mid twenties at the time, did not know how to handle what was happening to me. It was thought after thought after thought minute after minute which was about negativity and death. There is no way to cope with that. One approach is alcoholism which alleviates the immediate circumstance but of course leaves a state the following morning even worse as a depressive itself. Another is to get medical help, which I did, and the pills (which I can't remember) were undoubtedly essential to my recovery in a few days actually. But on the other hand possibly ill advised prescription of drugs unsupervised were implicated in the suicide of my friend. So if one goes down the drug route, it has uncertainty and risk of sometimes drastic side effects.

The brain is a huge complex computer / machine / organism and it is hard to isolate how doing something to address one issue will affect a vast computer network.

Archived