onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

New Guitar

SuperValiant1876

Looking at buying a new guitar, want a hollowbody really, used to own a Gibson Es333 it was a gorgeous guitar to play. http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Gretsch-G5122-Double-Cut---Black~ID~8553.asp I am considering this guitar this time, anyone owned a Gretsch and have some thoughts for me? Or is there a better hollowbody I can get for this money that I am not aware of?

Advert

Just brought a Gibson SG. Ironically i'm trying to sell an Epiphone Les Paul standard, with chrome Grover tuners and Seymour Duncan humbuckers (sh-1 in neck and sh-11 in bridge). In honeyburst and comes with hard case. Not a mark on it, spotless!

Nice guitar. Seems like its good value at that price.

Really like the walnut version http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gretsch-G5122-Walnut-Double-Cutaway-Hollow-Body-Electromatic-Gator-Hardcase-/140857512790?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item20cbc31356#ht_542wt_922

I think you could pick the black version up cheaper at Thomann: http://www.thomann.de/gb/gretsch_g5122_dc_blk.htm?sid=1b4f7f5404c83ef5e7cc15a211f30151

They are charging £478

Just brought a Gibson SG. Ironically i'm trying to sell an Epiphone Les Paul standard, with chrome Grover tuners and Seymour Duncan humbuckers (sh-1 in neck and sh-11 in bridge). In honeyburst and comes with hard case. Not a mark on it, spotless!

I have an Epiphone Les Paul same as yours..absolutely love it. Became a much better player as soon as I got it many years ago. Tired an SG when i did a bit of rehearsing with a local band a couple of years ago..hated it..just didn't feel right. Good luck with it :)

I used to always want a Gretsch back in the day, before I retired from music. Ended up buying an Epiphone 335 which had a nice tone and action to it. I stick to acoustics now, in my old age. I have a beautiful Takimine 12 string and a Taylor 6 string, which criminally, I barely use. I always wanted a Martin but could never afford one when I was in the band, but would be a waste of money now due to my inactivity.

• 2 weeks later...

SGs are the spawn of Satan. Horrific things. I have an Epiphone LP Custom, I've played countless LPs and can honestly say the Epiphone Custom beats the Gibson Standard (obviously the Gibson Custom is far superior).

Never really explored hollow bodies, nothing I do really involves them as I don't play much jazz anymore.

Archived