onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Pre season fixtures

Yeah I thought of them & they’re pretty local. We definitely need a more difficult pre season in regards to the quality of opposition this year 
Did we play Grimsby in Spain last season? We were so under prepared it was embarrassing.
  • Haha 2

Advert

2 minutes ago, Matlock Vale said:
6 minutes ago, Vtid said:
Yeah I thought of them & they’re pretty local. We definitely need a more difficult pre season in regards to the quality of opposition this year 

Did we play Grimsby in Spain last season? We were so under prepared it was embarrassing.

Yeah 🤣

2 minutes ago, Matlock Vale said:
6 minutes ago, Vtid said:

Salford in Japan this year 😳 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, MelbourneValiant said:

When we sell these young kids we should try to organise a pre-season friendly as part of the deal....Newcastle United, Man City etc. Dunno if we have explored that avenue?

A Stoke 'friendly' would be good.

Wouldn't be good for the Police overtime budget. 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Nothing wrong with playing Newcastle, Kidsgrove and other local teams as it gives us a good base to work from as pre-season progresses and the quality of opposition hopefully improves, plus fans generally enjoy these games, especially if the weather’s good.  Moore seemed to indicate we’d be playing a few more friendlies against teams from higher leagues this season so we’ll have to wait and see.

I can remember going to a Newcastle Town pre season game played at Clayton circa 40 years ago before we left the area. It served the community and a local team. Did no harm. 

My concern last season started when Ellis Harrison left. One view might be heck we are about to bring in a striker or strikers who are better than him. How wrong could I be. Absolute suicide. 

To be fair friendlies can be played behind closed doors on the training pitch. But I was alarmed at the few formally arranged and who they were against. 

Our first game of the season was to play a really difficult away game. We got the spanking our lack of preparation and weakening of the squad deserved. 

Edited by Warren

12 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Nothing wrong with playing Newcastle, Kidsgrove and other local teams as it gives us a good base to work from as pre-season progresses and the quality of opposition hopefully improves, plus fans generally enjoy these games, especially if the weather’s good.  Moore seemed to indicate we’d be playing a few more friendlies against teams from higher leagues this season so we’ll have to wait and see.

It's a good payday for our local non league teams and harbours good relationships. Nothing wrong with playing them sides.

Remember going Parkway Clayton in the 80's and the mighty Les Lawrence scored. Found his level ! .

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MelbourneValiant said:

When we sell these young kids we should try to organise a pre-season friendly as part of the deal....Newcastle United, Man City etc. Dunno if we have explored that avenue?

A Stoke 'friendly' would be good.

I don't think trying to play say Newcastle Utd is worth it. They will send their U21 team mixed with some senior players and likely be playing two games the same day. 

However, going back to 2015 when we played Getafe a La Liga team on tour was interesting. Also, it was in that game that I realised Sam Johnson had the concentration of his namesake Boris going to vote and needed to be got rid of fast. Hence a useful game. 

3 minutes ago, Warren said:

I don't think trying to play say Newcastle Utd is worth it. They will send their U21 team mixed with some senior players and likely be playing two games the same day. 

However, going back to 2015 when we played Getafe a La Liga team on tour was interesting. Also, it was in that game that I realised Sam Johnson had the concentration of his namesake Boris going to vote and needed to be got rid of fast. Hence a useful game. 

Amazing to think he's been a regular and still is for Halifax since he left us. Was too laid back for my liking and gave me kittens. But he's had a good career and is the Halifax captain. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Amazing to think he's been a regular and still is for Halifax since he left us. Was too laid back for my liking and gave me kittens. But he's had a good career and is the Halifax captain. 

Yes, he's had a commendably long and relatively successful career at what I'd call a proper football club. So well done to him. 

Edited by Warren
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, rider1308 said:

Just wondering as a comparison what pre-season friendlies Crewe arrange ?

1 hour ago, Warren said:

Surely Moore, with his previous connections can get friendlies with Burton, Sheff Wed, Doncaster, maybe even Westbrom? 

• Like 2