onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

11 Dads for Daisy

In the current edition of up-market, erudite publication 'Viz', there is a feature entitled, '11 Dads for Daisy', which details the story of how after Daisy Drummond's mother died in childbirth she was brought up by her father, a keen football supporter

When he passes away 15 years later, as per her father's instructions, the players of Plymouth Argyle are appointed as Daisy's legal guardians

The feature then goes on to describe how Daisy attends, with her friend Mandy, the Argyle's home game against Port Vale in division 3

At the end of the game Plymouth beat Port Vale 3-2 [the story then goes on to detail what her 11 dads do when Daisy defies instructions and sneaks off to a party]

However, I am interested to know if any OVF readers can identify which particular game this was and when it was played? At the end of the feature it is stated that Daisy wants her dads to come and see her performance in the school play, but that it clashes with Argyle's 3rd round FA Cup tie against Bolton Wanderers [though it isn't stated that this occurred in the same season, though as Daisy would be 15 years old she can't have had much of her school days left, unless she stayed on into the sixth form]

Points-with-Bone

Advert

Well, having looked it up, the Vale have apparently beat Plymouth 27 times, lost 21 times and drawn 10

First game was in October 1930, 97 years ago, where Argyle won 2-1

The only time in those 58 league games Argyle have won 3-2 was indeed on the 29th April 1978, almost exactly 45 years ago and, probably most importantly, it was in Division Three

So the historical narrative in the story [i.e.regarding games, not Daisy having 11 footballing dads] seems to be true

We didn't play them again until October 1983 [in Division 2] where Vale lost  at home to them 1-0 and in the return fixture in February 1984 they stuffed us 3-0 and it wasn't until November 1989, again in Division Two that Vale finally ran out winners 2-1 away at Home Park, by which time Daisy would have been 26 and probably coining it in plying her trade down on Union Street

Points-with-Bone

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Points - with - bone. I’m an Argyle fan and just to tell you I attended that particular game.  It was a sunny day at Home Park in the days when there was terracing. The Devonport End was shut due to health and safety. So the ‘ away end’ ( Barn Park) was occupied by the home fans. The Vale fans were accommodated in the Grandstand side. Well, I acquired a green and yellow flag to take on away games ( are away colours yellow shirts/ green shorts)  So, draped in said flag, out come the teams and horror of horrors, Vale in yellow shirts and green shorts! Anyway, flag quickly stowed away. Game got off to a cracking start with Vale getting the opener through Beamish only for Argyle to equalise not long after . I’m not sure but I think Argyle went into half time 2-1 up. Vale did equalise  through Froggat only for Argyle to win 3-2 thus saving themselves but at the expense of Vale who unfortunately were relegated. The gate that day was 9,475. Can’t remember how many Vale fans were there. I was 23 back then so memory’s not what it was. Good luck to you all for next season. Terry Mack. Greenarmy 

Archived