onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Real Ale Guide to Cambridge

CambridgeDon

Just a few pointers if you're looking for a good boozer before the game on Satdee

Near the Stadium

The three pubs I'd pick nearest the Stadium are:

The Corner House

Down to earth pub on Newmarket Road about 10 minutes walk to the ground. Sells Greene King ales but it's not a tied house, so does guest ales as well. Beer garden, food and a bit of parking.

The Dobblers

Traditional backstreet boozer that might take a bit of finding - on Sturton Street, just off Newmarket Road. Beer garden, food and football on Sky Sports (I checked and they're def doing the Stoke game for those who want to go and cheer for Palace). Eagle IPA at £3.10 a pint, so good value.

The Wrestlers

Famous mostly for its food (the landlord's wife, Petch, is Thai) so it's a great bet if you want to eat before the game. You'll need to be early though as it's usually in big demand. Charles Wells pub with good range of ales.

Cambridge's Finest!

These three boozers are all on the same street (Gwydir Street) about 20-25 mins walk from the stadium, so it's a ready made pub crawl if you want a few beers before the game. There's two hour parking at the top of the street just as you turn in off Mill Road (ticket machines don't take cash).

Cambridge Blue

In my view, the best real ale pub in Cambridge. Run by the same people for as long as I can remember, it's served well over 4000 different real ales and they keep it well. On a terraced street but with a big beer garden. Serves very good food.

The Alexandra Arms

Just 200 yards further down the street is this Greene King pub. Good beer and food but not my favourite (not so keen on GK ales).

The Blue Moon

Turn the corner on your left 100 yards past the Alex and you're in Norfolk Street where you'll find this down to earth pub. Previously The Man in the Moon, now run by the owners of the Cambridge Blue. Serves Pizzas and big choice of craft beer.

If you're stopping off in the city centre, I'd recommend

The Eagle, oldest pub in Cambridge (opened in 1667) with its famous RAF bar where you'll find genuine WW2 graffiti on walls and ceiling. Greene King ales and food.

The Mill Pond, 19th century pub right on the river Cam overlooking Laundress Green. Good ale but virtually all very hoppy. Good food.

The Pint Shop, trendy pub based on a theme of Meat, Bread and Beer. Very popular but a bit pricey. Mainly craft beers.

Just a quick PS on traffic - roadworks today on the Newmarket Road roundabout with long delays from the city to the Abbey Stadium. Don't know when they finish, so give yourselves plenty of time.

Happy drinking and here's to a good result at the Abbey!

Advert

Archived